Thinking of buying some stuff for my mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Thinking of buying some stuff for my mustang

I have recently been doing a lot of thinking of doing some upgrades to my 2008 V6 mustang, I know I want to get a new intake and exhaust. Ive got a few questions about people's experiences with some performance mods. I would like to get a new cold air intake with a tuner, also I would like to get a dual port exhaust to replace my single port.

I want to know what tuners people reccomend, keep in mind, I'm not trying to but a $1,000 top of the line touch screen tuner, but any advice on a tuner is gladly welcome, also like I said I would like to get a cold air intake, but Ive also been thinking about possibly getting a ram charger.

As for exhaust, Im not sure exactly what kind I would like, I want a little more rumble than the stock V6 but I dont want something that sounds ricey at all or sounds raspy at higher rpm's, also I am thinking about getting some new headers, just wondering if they are normally worth it and what experiences people have gotten with new headers

Jon
junoS197Bl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Thinking of buying some stuff for my mustang

for the intake, if your wanting something flashy, go with the bbk. but you will need to clean it quite a bit if you're one of the anal retentive clean freaks. i have a bbk, but im gonna be changing to the k&n fipk cai. also for the future if you are wanting to get a throttle body, wait for that for a good while. now you can get a tb spacer, some see gains, some dont all depends on how you have your car set up. for exhaust, theres a lot of different ways to go, shorty headers, long tube headers. then you have the straight pipes, y pipes, x pipes and h pipes. i have straight pipes with flowmaster mufflers, and bbk shorty headers. it sounds pretty good for what it is. the long tube headers are gonna give you the most gains, but the short tubes are gonna give you the better sound. the tuner i have i got from summitracing.com. theres not many parts you can get from summit for the v6, but they have some. if you go to americanmuscle.com they have nothing but mustang parts. there you can find tuners, but those are the top of the line tuners. they run around 500-600. you will see some gains from it, but dramatic changes. it also depends on what octane you run with it. most of my stuff im gonna be changing soon, for the headers im going to be getting ceramic headers, theyre more expensive, but they will keep my bay a little cooler. the headers im also going to be changing, there is a slight leak in it from where the header connects to the tube. so when you get these parts, make sure they are going to last for a while, and you wont get tired of them.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
E46

So your thinking about buying stuff for your mustang ah.

Well as a young grasshopper myself I would hit the "SERACH BUTTON" damn noob.
E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Re: Thinking of buying some stuff for my mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 View Post
So your thinking about buying stuff for your mustang ah.

Well as a young grasshopper myself I would hit the "SERACH BUTTON" damn noob.
wow y did u even waste my time being a *****t like that...go to sleep...ethug

ethugs=anybody can be an ******* online takes some balls to do it irl
Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08 View Post
wow y did u even waste my time being a *****t like that...go to sleep...ethug

ethugs=anybody can be an ******* online takes some balls to do it irl
E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Justin at VMP seems to do great tunes for v6's, its always best to data log and update the tune with the info gained from them if it can not be tuned on the dyno one on one with the tuner (or via a mobile dial in dyno tune)

they can tell you what CAI's work best for your car. For exhaust you can view you tube and get an idea of what sounds like what~ just dont go cheap dont go chrome (tips or anything) stay stainless steel with polished tips if possible.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08 View Post
I have recently been doing a lot of thinking of doing some upgrades to my 2008 V6 mustang, I know I want to get a new intake and exhaust. Ive got a few questions about people's experiences with some performance mods. I would like to get a new cold air intake with a tuner, also I would like to get a dual port exhaust to replace my single port.

I want to know what tuners people reccomend, keep in mind, I'm not trying to but a $1,000 top of the line touch screen tuner, but any advice on a tuner is gladly welcome, also like I said I would like to get a cold air intake, but Ive also been thinking about possibly getting a ram charger.

As for exhaust, Im not sure exactly what kind I would like, I want a little more rumble than the stock V6 but I dont want something that sounds ricey at all or sounds raspy at higher rpm's, also I am thinking about getting some new headers, just wondering if they are normally worth it and what experiences people have gotten with new headers

Jon
  • For exhaust sound on the 05+ pypes mid muffler seems to be one of the better sounds.
  • For CAI, anything that JLT makes an intake for I would get.
  • You don't have a 94-98 so the split port swap does not apply to you.
  • If you get headers go with long tubes.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

My .02. The 05+ are a little different than previous generations.

You will need a tune with any good CAI. The 05 and up are a lot more tightly regulated by the computer, so if you put on most CAI without a tune, then you will run the engine lean. If a CAI advertises you don't need a tune, then you will see a small if any performance increase.

If you don't want to deal with dyno-tuning your own tune, then I would use one of the more popular vendors (VMP, Bamachips, Brenspeed) to get a CAI/tuner/custom tune. Not only will their tunes help with HP, they will also improve throttle response (drive-by-wire), automatic shifting (if auto) and other parameters. Most will also offer a period of time to provide you with updated tunes (say if you add headers in the future).

Best bang-for-the-buck for performance is to swap out the V6 axleback for a GT. Anything after that, is just for your personal taste in terms of sound and looks.

Other things to consider is gears. No performance gains, but a good 'seat-of-the-pants' improvement.

Of course, you could just skip directly to a Procharger or x-charger :burnout:
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking about getting an x charger but by the time that everything was said and done i might as well have just spent the difference on a GT lol. Thanks for all the advice everybody... im still goin to be doing a lot of looking before i buy everything. I hoping to purchase at least all the intake and exhaust before i start putting it all in.

Is it better to get a tune after you get a new exhaust, as in would it be ok for me to get an intake and keep that tune when I get a new exhaust, I would assume I would have to get a new tune, but Ive never done one before so I wouldnt know.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

unless you remove cats you don't need to tune for the exhuast
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

a Mac CAI, diablo tuner, then some 3.73 gears w/ tlok or 4.10s if u have an automatic, that should be enough for now lol....oh flowmaster w/ h pipe and long tube headers if u have a few xtra hundered dollars
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

05+'s as said above are different in the intake/exhaust area when it comes to a tune. If you dont need a tune with a CAI I have to ask... is it really doing much? I would be more happy needing a tune honestly with one lol... I mean some can have a range and be ok but the 05+ are mostly in need of a tune with a CAI so play it safe and get it checked at least.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang