Performance Chip or Gears/TLok... which one? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Performance Chip or Gears/TLok... which one?

More questions!

OK, so i've been looking at performance tuners, and I really like what I see. I am especially fond of the Diablo Predator U7146 because of the data logging, the extreme customization, and the built-in adjustment for speedometer and rev-limiter remover. also, it does about 100 things that I have no idea about.

However, I am also really wanting to change my gears to 4.10 and get a Traction-Lok. I don't really have the money for both of these right now, so which one do you guys recommend? I think the tuner would be the most useful because it can change so much, plus when I eventually do get the gears I can calibrate the speedometer without buying extra parts. however, I know the gears will give a good performance boost, but do the tuners really help, or are the mostly snake oil?

Finally, I see a lot of used tuners that were used on different year and model mustangs than mine. If I buy these, do I have to do anything special to get it to work with mine, or will it notice my car and let me tune right out of the box?

Also, which do you recommend: The Diablo Predator or the SCT Xcalibur2? Thanks!
AirBrontosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Performance Chip or Gears/TLok... which one?

Well first off I would not expect a mail order tunner to do much of anything, maybe 5hp/tq~ If you go though justin on the site and get a tunner with one of his custom programs (not just a mail order program) you will be FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR (FAR FAR) better off in every way imaginable. If he tunes your car (the BEST is a dyno tune by someone that KNOWS the car not just a backyard dyno shady place) but if you cant you can get a tune from someone and then get it dynoed to inpsect how the tune is working for you and make adjustments as needed.

For a stock or near stock car expect better throttle response, and about a tenth of a second off your times, also better gas milage and more drivable. You can also have it tunned for 93 octane which will make gas alot more.

I personally would hold off due to the amount vs reward for this mod.

For gears go ford racing gears, if auto go 4.10s if manual go 3.73 and install a ford tlok with the gears. If you plan to drag race EVER upgrade to an 8.8 from a 99-04 gt for 99-04 v6s and 94-98 gt 8.8 for 94-98 v6s (the differences is the 94-98 gt's 8.8's are 1.5 inches shorter overall, half that perside)

you will see 3 tenths off your times, best bang for the buck other that the bottle) The only issues with this modification are installation and drop in gas milage.... (usually not bad 2-3 mpg hwy, you may pick up 1 mpg city)

Its always best to talk to local shops about the gear install and make sure they warranty aginst gear whinning (install screwup) and know how to setup the gears. If you go with an 8.8 chances are the gears will not be what you want so you will have to upgrade them ... but in the end an 8.8 is well worth it if you ever plan to take it to the strip.

In conclusion:
A tunner is ok, off the shelf... dont do it, go with a real tunner or a dyno tune if possible. Contact Justin with SCT (check bottom in vendors) and see what he says. (not sure 100% on price talk to justin and see)

For gears ford racing 4.10s and tlok for no track use and upgrade to an 8.8 with what ever gears you want for track use. (600-700 for just gear upgrade including labor) and 500-900 (used/new) for 8.8 plus gear/install (another 400)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

IDK. I noticed a big diference with the DiabloSport tuner. But then again, I did tweak it a bit. But I totally agree on the gears. I have FRPP 4.10's and a FRPP T-Lok. Best mod for the buck.

Additional mods: MM subframe connectors, NGK IrridiumX plugs, high energy wires.
03YellowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Save enough to do both, or get the gears and pay a dynotuner to calibrate your speedo and tweak things a little bit (if there is a reputable tuner in your area). I think the average is somewhere around $100 for three pulls on the dyno and then goes up some for actual tuning.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

The local dyno here charges $90.00, and then he charged me $50.00 to tune it and tweak it. Then I tweaked it a bit more. So you are right in the ballpark.

Additional mods: MM subframe connectors, NGK IrridiumX plugs, high energy wires.
03YellowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

huh... maybe I've heard all wrong about these tuners. It seems like it would be really easy to tune on the fly, plus as more modifications are added I don't have to pay $25-$50 to re-tune my car. Can these things change all the parameters that a professional tune can, or are the watered down versions of the professional tools?

Also, won't I need something like this when I change my gears anyways so I can re-calibrate the speedometer and change shift points and the like?

Third, don't these offer a large benefit in the way of telling what the CEL means and diagnosing problems with the car?

Fourth, it can track your speed, times, and all sorts of other information as you drive.

Fifth, it can recalibrate your car based on different rim sizes, tire sizes, and etc., on top of the added performance tweaks that it can do.

It seemed to me that these tuners would be one of the first upgrades you should get. You don't even need to do any modifying, because it plugs into the OBDII port, and you can easily return to a factory setting. While $300 seems kind of steep now, I thought it would save a lot of money in the long run because I would no longer need re-tunes, re-calibrations, diagnosis, and other things of that nature. Where did I go wrong?

ALSO: What do some of the tuning parameters mean, anyways? Dual-timing adjustment points? Timing table? Dual fuel adjustment points? Fuel table? What are they?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

go with someone like justin on the forums talk to him, tell him what you want to do and ask him about future tunning needs. Dont order a mail order chip, simply dont do it, get a chip custom done for your car, then they can mail it to you and you can get a dyno to verify if you want. They are very good though.

You have to do some modifying to stick a chip in the car, sanding down the port connections and the like.

You may can use a speedcal from dallasmustang to correct the speedo and is very easy to install, you may not can i cant remember which years can adn which cant.

Ask justin what all he does, the mail order chips basically set the A/F ratio and tweek shift points and rev limiters...
Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
You have to do some modifying to stick a chip in the car, sanding down the port connections and the like.

You may can use a speedcal from dallasmustang to correct the speedo and is very easy to install, you may not can i cant remember which years can adn which cant.

Ask justin what all he does, the mail order chips basically set the A/F ratio and tweek shift points and rev limiters...
Actually, I meant something like the DiabloSport Predator. It modifies the factory ECU through the OBDII port. I never intended on getting a mail-order chip. Sorry about the confusion. These can keep tweaking and changing their tunes, and they aren't intrusive at all. Just plug into the OBDII port and start tuning.

So how about one of these? Mail-order chips would be a bad idea, but these are actual tuners that change constantly. Plus, they seem to offer good maintenance options. I'll also try to talk to Justin about this.

PS. Those speedcals are like $100. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend a little more now to be able to change many times in the future, as well as increase performance? Maybe I'm missing something...
Old 02-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

You can alter a speedcal over and over and over, if you are already going to get a tune then let it do the work, just some FYI.

The tunes those hand helds come with are like the mail order tunes, you can of course tweek the car but it would be much better to order a hand held from some of the good tunners on this or some other site (just make sure they are good and reputable) and they can store a program in your tunner for you. You can then have a good tune along with the ability to tweek it with the tunner.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It seems to me that I really should get the tuner first (I'm thinking the SCT XCalibrator 2). It has data-logging, USB connectivity, and can tune my car for different tires and gear ratios. On top of that, it lets me raise rev limiters, speed limiters, shift points, it firms up shifting, has a 2-stage rev limiter (although I think that only works on a manual), can check my check engine light, and can recalibrate fuel tables and the like.

The gears would give more acceleration and performance (actual, measurable performance), but if I don't have this tuner then I'm adding a significant cost for speedometer recalibration. If I don't get a speedcal (just a speedo gear) then I change rim sizes I'll need to buy more parts.

Maybe I'm reading this all wrong and a handheld tuner won't really help. It is between this and gears/t-lok, and it seems a tuner would be a better investment for the long term. However, you guys know best, so tell me what you think!

PS. One more question. If I buy a used SCT tuner, can I reset it for use on my car? The ones on eBay say things like "PreProgrammed for 49lb fuel injectors" and things like that, but my car doesn't have those mods. Is there a "Restore to SCT Factory" button so I can use it with my mustang no matter who owned it before me?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Tuners come from the suppliers with set tunes already on them. If you are gonna buy a used tuner, you're gonna need to talk to someone about getting a new set of tunes done up for it...

And by the sound of your posts, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, so stop arguing your point and just get it already.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang