Dropped my car off to get it dyno tuned.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Dropped my car off to get it dyno tuned....

Well I decided to go with AZ Dyno Chip instead of AMP. They specialize in the SCT 2 plus they were cheaper. The guy Brent was really helpful and I felt an excellent vibe from them, they treated me real good and took time to explain everything and answer any questions I had. So I head over there with my buddy and start to talk with Brent about what I wanted. Told him I wanted gears, tlok, and a dyno tune. He asked me why I wanted gears. I told him I want to accelerate a bit faster. He then asked what they have stock. I replied 3.31's I beleive and told him I was wanting 3.73's. He advised me to hold off on the gears & tlok for now and let them Dyno tune it and see where I want to go from there. He said I will be pretty suprised to see what the dyno tune just dose (which I know but I don't cause I've watched lease forums enough to see peoples reactions are after they had just loaded canned tunes, and most people say its like a new car) Plus he was saying for the money you'll spend on the 3.73's & tlok it really not that much of a difference(sorta like the headers) He said if I wanted he will do them but he was telling me for the money you'll pay its not to much worth it in his opinion. Said you will accelerate a little faster but most of the hype is the feeling of the car needing to be shifted earler, your not so much accelerating that much quicker. He did say a tlok wasn't a bad idea though. So I asked him when would you want to do the gears & tlok. He was saying gears might want to be one of the last things you would do, like if you supercharged you might want the stock gears he was saying, having 3.73's might be too much or they might not it would be better to find out in the end. He was saying he did a manual V6 a few weeks ago all he had was duals, intake, and the SCT2 tune 91 oc. and was doing 14.5's at the track with out gears & tlok.

So now Im a little confused, I see all you champs putting in 3.73's & 4.10's, tloks & TT's. What do you all think? There not trying to get out of doing the work, he told me they would do it, heck they do custom turbos he said. I talk to him about a short throw shifter he said they were only like $80.00's he was telling me I could do that my self, he was saying its just a shorter stick that makes the shifting better. Isn't there shifters that make the space between the gears like 1st and 2nd shorter or is having a short stick serve the same purpose. Why are the ones on v6 performance parts $200 $250. Said it should only take like 20 mins I could get parts off ebay. Said they would do it though if I wanted. They are really cool people, like I said before the vibe was great. I think I found a shop that I will be going to for a while. There real straight up with you and no question is a stupid question with them. Made me feel real comfortable. Never in my short so far life have I had a auto shop make me feel like that!! They also Dyno using SAE numbers already so that makes me happy. So I just went with a Dyno Tune for now. About $600.00 for everything They gave me the SCT2 for about $350 and the dyno tune for about $250

What is your guys imput on the gears personally. Do they really help that much for the money?

ricklmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Dropped my car off to get it dyno tuned....

you have 3.27s gears stock, if you have an auto you need to upgradet o 4.10s if you have a manual you need to upgradet o 3.73s.

You will shave 2.5-3.0 tenths off of your time easy with gears, thats more than a tune on a stock car, or even exhaust, cai, udp, etc will give. It is a good bit of money to do so and you can get screwed over if you dont get the gears installed correctly and perhaps even get a written warranty with them.

gears will run you in parts around 400-460 for gears/tlok/bearings/other and install can be 160-the sky is the limit
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

his car doesn't have 3.27's it has 3.31's

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee

What is up with all the Brent's all the sudden?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I found out mathmaticly I will need to shift into 4th gear before I hit the trap no matter what with the stock gears, so I figure mine as well get to 4th gear a little faster lol

ricklmesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang