Looking to add true duals to my new 06 Pony ASAP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Looking to add true duals to my new 06 Pony ASAP

Anyone done this yet? What parts did you use, thinking I may go with a Magnaflow 4.0L V6 dual exhaust kit. Any experience in this direction?
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Looking to add true duals to my new 06 Pony ASAP

Just my opinion, but from what I have read the 4.0 has a decent exhaust to begin with and the engine can only flow out what it takes in. The intake is only a single venturi. If you want the growl go full duals with X or H pipe but it will sound more like a loud 6 than a V8 and you may lose bottom end. If you are going to do heavy mods to engine and intake thats another story. I went with a second factory muffler run into a Y just ahead of the axel, lost nothing, gained the look and V8 growl but its not loud outside and everyone says it sounds great inside.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thanks, I am going to go with a less restrictive intake, not sure what mods are even available for the 4.0L, it has been around for a long time in Rangers and so forth. Throttle bodies are also one of my favorite mods, as well as C&L mafs etc. I don't expect I will go wild enough to need an X or cat H. I am a little short on modification knowlege for the 4.0, but I had a modified GT and a heavily modified 94 V6 prior to this one. Thanks for the help. I was also a moderator on this site and on 3.8mustang.com for quite a while. Did you cut your bumper cover/valance to accomodate the second pipe, or did you change to a GT bumper cover?
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Oh, and you are right, a V6 will never quite sound like a 4.6L V8, regardless of what you do, but it can sound better than it does.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

V6 valance, my muffler shop cut it exact to match the passenger side. And believe it or not you would be hard pressed at any distance or speed to tell I have a V6, the exhaust is quiet but definately growls like a well muffled V8 all the way. I also get a nice sound out of the intake with the full MMR cold air kit when getting on it.
http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...n-106053-pos-4
Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Its looking like a pretty expensive deal really, kits go from about 450 for a Mac and up. Plus, since I dont' want to cut the stock rear bumper cover that is going to be about 200 plus painting. The axle back low restriction mufflers are looking better all the time.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I can tell you have a v6, they sound nothing ike v8s about the only thing you can do is come close to the sound at idle. Are the 05+ even fire ?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Y Pipe just ahead of axel, into a second stock muffler, 2 chrome rolled tips from Walmart welded to exhaust pipes and valance cut (no painting necessary) $170.00 total including the $30.00 tips all done by a local muffler shop. As I said it's quiet when on the highway has a stock V8 sound at idle and when I get on it, it still has a nice V8 exhaust tone as well as an intake moan. No one has guessed it was a 6 from the sound.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a set of GT take off axle backs, mufflers, lol, They are on the way with a GT bumper cover in the right color, and I have a bid on a set of Roush side window louvers, might get the matching Roush scoop for her too, depends how money goes. I am going to have my local muffler shop custom make the rest of the pipes and an H for it. They did similar stuff on my 94 V6 for me, and the 86 V6. AIM muffler shop in Burlington, NC.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
...Are the 05+ even fire?...

'Fraid so Spec... but that is a good thing.
I posted some general stuff on another similar V6 exhaust post here:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...ers-19951.html

Check that Rick and then we can proceed

I'd personally get some custom pipes bent and add some nice muffs for looks.
Magnaflow always seemed to sound good, but the fact that Ford has chosen
to go ao similar route as GM has for years (behind axle) negates the positive
sound alteration effects of long tailpipes. Not sure what long mid-pipes do...
Old 03-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05STANG
Y Pipe just ahead of axel, into a second stock muffler, 2 chrome rolled tips from Walmart welded to exhaust pipes and valance cut (no painting necessary) $170.00 total including the $30.00 tips all done by a local muffler shop. As I said it's quiet when on the highway has a stock V8 sound at idle and when I get on it, it still has a nice V8 exhaust tone as well as an intake moan. No one has guessed it was a 6 from the sound.
PS: That is one fine-a$$ looking tail there, 05STANG!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

here are the pics of my car in my gallery with the duals on her http://www.mustangevolution.com/gall...00&ppuser=2755
Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
here are the pics of my car in my gallery with the duals on her http://www.mustangevolution.com/gall...00&ppuser=2755
Looks damn good! I'm still leaning towards cheaping out and cutting my stock panel, but the "finished" look of the GT panel is very nice. Did you get yours from Diversified off of Ebay?

See more at 05sixpack.com
C&L CAI;XCAL2;Bamachips 93-Perf Tune;True Duals w/x-pipe
GT Bullits;GT Scoop;12" LeMans Stripes;SS Side Louvers
downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Looks just like a GT to me with the Pony gas cap. From the rear is it a V8 disguised as a V6 or a V6 disguised as a V8. LoL
Old 03-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

I can't remember the name of it, he calls himself something wholesale he is out of MI. Its all in what you want and like. My Roush hood scoop and window louvers should be here tomorrow. Well, the louvers and scoop got here first thing today, before I even got out of bed I heard a ring on the doorbell, and they were waiting, no hurry right now to open the boxes or anythiing, can't afford to get them painted for a while anyway. Oh well. I will get them put on soon. I looked up the seller of the bumper covers and GT mufflers, its Cascotech on ebay.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang