car moves with clutch pedal to the foor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

car moves with clutch pedal to the foor

i installed a centerforce dual friction clutch into my car about 3 weeks ago. while i had the transmission out i also installed a new throw out bearing as well as new pilot bearing. during the 500 mile break in period i didnt experience this, but shortly after that i come accross this. when i come to a red light its very difficult to shift out of what ever gear im in and almost impossible to shift into first. i notice when i do have this intermittent problem if im on a flat surface and the clutch is fully engaged (pedal all the way to the floor) and i step on the gas the car moves as if im riding the clutch. so i finally get it into first gear and when i take off if i rev the car out it kinda seems to fix the problem. then it might drive fine for a while. the worst was today i stopped in a line at an event i went to and my car stalled. i put it into first and when i went to start it with the clutch pedal to the floor the car started to move foreward as if the clutch pedal was out. so i was in line and quickly stepped on my brake so i wouldnt hit the car in front of me and it stalled again. i got out of line and drove it some and it worked fine for a little while. now when i have this problem and i cant put it into gear, the gears dont grind it just wont shift and depending on how bad it is i can actually drive with the clutch pedal to the floor. this is not a hydraulic system and i adjusted the clutch pedal the way my haynes manual said by pulling the clutch pedal all the way up. any ideas?
jedwards242000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: car moves with clutch pedal to the foor

sounds like:

1) The throwout bearing is getting stuck on the bearing retainer sleeve
2) The clutch cable is stretched/not working right
3) The stock/other quadrent is messed up/broke
4) If you have a firewall adjuster its not adjusted right or backed itself down.

Does the petal come up very high when you let out of the clutch? If it does not then you need to adjust it so you will have the clutch all the way out for enough leverage to shift it normal, I would not drive it like it is your just asking for trouble.

Buy a quadrent and lockable firewall adjuster from whom ever you deem worthy, I had steed it sucked so I went with UPR.

The install is pretty darn easy (take out the driver side seat to do it)

Once done adjust the clutch so you have a half inch of pressure on the clutch before the clutch starts to slip. To test this go down the road at 55~ mph or something like that and keep your right foot on the gas to keep the speed/rpms constant. Then push the clutch in until the rpms jump up, set it so you have a half inch before this happends. The petal should be firm at the top as well.

you might as well replace the clutch cable as well OEM ford works fine.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

the pedal comes up high and has consistant pressure throughout the entire movement, i work at a bmw dealership so ill just use the lift this weekend and take the trans back out and check everything its not that hard to take the trans out of our cars, while on the ground i checked the cable at the connection at the fork and to make sure the c-clip holding the cable to the trans didnt slip out and it didnt. the clutch pedal feels consistant to how it did before the new clutch install, the only differance is with the old clutch which didnt seem to be too worn engaged when the clutch pedal came almost to the top of its swing, or almost when you took your foot off of it. the centerforce dual friction kit engages when the clutch pedal as an inch or so off of the ground. now i havent added a firewall adjuster if one came stock i didnt see it but i can look. i wonder if the cable got stretched but i was thinking that was kinda far fetched or a conclusion i might come to later. but im going to check a few adjustments and see whats up with that if not i will take everything out this weekend and see whats going on there. on a good note i did make a couple of runs at the track and my best was a 14.2 at 99 mph......thank you for your help and any more information would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well i took the dust cover off from over the clutch cable at the transmission and looked inside, it looks like my throw out bearing is not in properly i must not have gotten the fork into the ridge like i was supposed to. so tomorrow im getting a new throwout bearing and installing it, will update you then
Old 03-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

update is i took the trans out and found everything was installed correctly, accept when i installed it i was short on time and forgot to torque the pressure plate bolts down to proper spec, they were too tight. so i torqued them down properly and everything works great now

thanks for all your help hope this info can help someone out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang