EGR deletion...? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
EGR deletion...?

I will be deleteing my EGR system during the turbo install and have a few questions...
I went out and looked at it today and discovered there's a lot more to it than I thought. but I have a delete plate so that part won't be a problem BUT...

1. How do I block off the line that goes into the right side of the intake manifold (facing the front of the engine)...?

2. The hole going to the exhasut manifold won't be a problem because I'm getting the new turbo headers, but I was trying to follow all the lines around and couldn't exactly tell where all the connections to the EGR end at...?

3. If I were to just block up the EGR hole itself, and somehow plug off the hole on the intake manifold, is that all there is to it? Would I just need to get the rest of the wiring out of the way and call it a day?

4. Also, there are 2 brackets on the front of the engine that look like they both involve the EGR, can both of these brackets and associated hardware be removed?

5. I have heard that the line going into the intake manifold can be used for the boost gauge...?

If anyone has any pics of this I would be forever grateful

P.S. I know it will throw a CEL, I'll be having that deleted.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: EGR deletion...?

I've done 2 egr deletes, they are a major pita if you are doing it without taking off the exhaust manifold. Otherwise, they're very straight forward, if it's connected to the egr system, it comes off. As far as the wire go, I traced them back into the harness about 8 inches, cut them there, taped each one seperately, then retaped the harness to look factory again. As far as the exhaust manifold goes, get a plumbing plug that will fit it, the thread lines will line right up. I put a little plumber's dope on it, works fine.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

So you did remove the bracket and all that crap to the left of the EGR?

Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeh, give me a sec and I'll grab my computer and show you the pic I have of my engine bay after egr delete but before I deleted the wires...gotta get the cpu from my roommate lol.
Our's:
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ok, on my computer now, here's the pic.
Our's:
Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Great! that's just what I needed.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Got any delete details for a 95?

I got the headers off, down to the shortblock, so it's easy at this point.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I think it would be the same because the `94's to `04's had the same valve, I think...
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

What's the EGR, and what effect does it have on your performance other the freeing up space for a turbo.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I recirculates exhaust gas back to be burned again thereby decreasing emmisions. Removing it has no real noticable effect on performance either way. Basically, anything having to do with emmisions is useless, except maybe the PCV.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #11

Region: Ohio

OEM EGR Delete
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got the parts from a Ford dealer. I had to call around, give the parts person the part #'s when asking about it. I called and asked for a EGR delete kit & they all tried to say Ford doesn't make it. I had to give them the part #'s. Intake Block off Plate: E69Z-9D440-A
Exhaust Header Cap: W705609-S430
It cost me $17.00 for both parts.It worked just fine on my 99 3.8l. The block plate came with a gasket & two bolts. I emailed justin@vmptuning.com he is going to send me the tune for my SCT X-CAL2 via e-mail to delete the EGR out of my car's computer. Thank you 1995whitestang for the info.Here's a write up on deleteing the EGR:
Why Delete the EGR: 1)- Less carbon build up in the intake manifolds 2)- More space under the hood
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
EGR Delete
OK, youíve already done the PCV bypass, now you want to delete the EGR too? As we said in the PCV by-pass,
this is for off-road or non-emissions use only. While the PCV bypass is pretty simple, the EGR delete is
a little more difficult mainly because the computer must have the EGR controls and sensors turned off. If you
already have a chip, youíll need to send it back for reprogramming. If you donít already have a chip, youíll
need one for this mod.
OK, first, disconnect the battery. Disconnect the two rubber lines and the electrical connectors from the
DPFE. Remove the red and green plastic vacuum lines from the DPFE, the EGR valve, and the intake mani-fold.
Be careful with these lines because they are brittle, you may want to reinstall this equipment later on.
Unbolt the DPFE from the upper intake manifold, its attached at 2 places, and remove it. Cap the now open
vacuum port in the upper intake manifold. Loosen the big nuts which are used to attach the EGR tube at the
header and at the EGR valve at the upper intake manifold. Remove the EGR tube with the DPFEís rubber
hoses still intact. Unbolt the EGR valve and remove it.
Now, physically block off the EGR ports in the header and the upper intake. ---You will skip the following steps if you have the OEM Delete Kit***Clamp the EGR tube in a vise
and hack off the header side flared end about 2 inches from the end. Now slip the nut off and have the hole
welded closed. Thread it back onto the header port and tighten it. Alternatively, if you donít have it welded
shut, leave the nut on it and you can squeeze the 2Ē long end shut in a vise, then fold it over in the vise to
seal it off, then thread that back on. OK, at the upper intake, fabricate a block-off plate the same size and
shape as the EGR valve flange. You can use the EGR valve gasket as a template. Bolt the template in place
with the EGR gasket. If you canít fabricate a block-off plate, simply hack off the end of the EGR tube and do
it just like you did down at the header, then reinstal that on the EGR valve, and reinstal the EGR valve. The
valve will still be there but will otherwise be blocked off.***
With that done, send the chip back for reprogramming to turn off all EGR functions, the DPFE, and the EVR.
If these functions are not turned off in the computer, youíll immediately set several nasty MIL codes because
key emissions equipment sensors are disconnected.
voltage277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

I also sell these so $15 shipped. RGR if you want directions look here: http://www.rdmotorsport.com/EGRTech.html The page is way old, but it still the same to delete it.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang