Exhaust manifold - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Exhaust manifold

I broke my exhaust manifold. I went to a local auto body parts and they say they can order it for the 99 and 00 3.8 but not for the 01-04. I am wondering the difference, if any. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper getting it through them vs Ford. It'd be $220 with Ford and $125 with the auto part store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Exhaust manifold

Would this happen to be your passenger manifold by any chance? And I replaced one on my car, 189 for it. Ford loves those things..but just happened to have one in stock. I blew the welds at the flange at the end of the manifold. It's a fun install.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to 232stang01 Send a message via Yahoo to 232stang01

For certain lot #'s of the factory manifold, there was a recall, I believe. I had mine replaced at the dealer, and it fell under warranty. If it f's up again, I'm gonna get shorties, even though I'll get no perf. gains out of it.
232stang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i would see about getting one from a junk yard, you can nearly get aftermarket headers for that kind of money.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

You can also upgrade getting some used stock 96-98 headers/manifolds. They are as good as shorties.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

ive got a set of 91 heads from a 91 cougar 3.8 but they are worthless im sure.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I fixed it. I had a local mechanic charge me $80 to take it off my manifold and put it back on after it got welded. I took my manifold to some muffler shop and had it welded for $25. I got the gaskets for another $20. Total repair cost $125. My driver side is leaking air though. I can hear it a little loud than normal, but I don't have enough money to fix it right now. Am I risking ****ing up the motor if I keep running it w/ a leaking manifold?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

You shoulda pulled it off yourself...but ya got it fixed. I ended up not welding mine b/c they couldn't guarantee that the weld wouldn't blow and wanted to be on the safe side, I should have gone ahead and bought shorties..but O well, we all live and learn.
Our's:
Old 03-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I know they couldn't guarantee the job for mine either. but the weld they did looks much more strong than the manufacturers weld. I think i'm going to have to do the same to the driver side. I want to take it off and put it back in myself, is there anyway i can find a detailed step by step guide and list of tools I'll need, since I don't have many.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't know of any step by step procedures, but you'll need a deep well socket that fits the nuts on the manifold bolts, then you'll need another socket so you can take off the flange at the bottom of the manifold, there are 2 screws/nuts holding it on, then it should come right off with a little pursuasion.
Our's:
Old 03-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

its pretty hard to take them off... even harder to get them back on. Just set a lot of time aside... plus i needed someone helping me

Mods: MAC Dual Catback Exhaust, MAC Shorty Headers, CAI, Sequential Taillights, 03 17" Cobra Rims

My Garage
electricstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to BigL34461

i broke mine too on the passenger's side. Got one from the junk yard for $50 bucks. it's been running strong since
BigL34461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I broke the driver side 3/31/06 coming home from work. I was 70 miles away and I drove it home. About 20miles into the drive home my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on, and I'm not sure what it means. The first time I broke the passenger side the light didn't come on. I'm having it welded together right now but I'm afraid of why the service engine soon light came on.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Is the light still on? My diablosport predator tuner can read codes if you want to use it.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'll ask mechanic about the light. It might come off once he gets the manifold back in place. What city do you live in? Can I change my tranny shift points w/ that tuner that you got?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29
I'll ask mechanic about the light. It might come off once he gets the manifold back in place. What city do you live in? Can I change my tranny shift points w/ that tuner that you got?
I live in the Redwood City/ Menlo Park area. About 45 min from Gilroy. The tuner can change shift points and a ton of other stuff. I may be trying to sell it if you're interested.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
Old 04-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I got it fixed now. I was completely suprised with the true sound of my car since it had been leaking air for months. Now that it doesn't leak my car is so quiet, I can hardly hear it. I like it. Only problem is that the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is still on. I think it my have something to do w/ the oxygen sensor. I asked the mechanic about it and he suggested to wait a few days and if doesn't turn off to bring it back in to hook it onto the computer. I luv HP&trq I am definitely interested in adjusting my shifts, eliminating my speed limiter and having my code read. How do I get a hold of you?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29
I got it fixed now. I was completely suprised with the true sound of my car since it had been leaking air for months. Now that it doesn't leak my car is so quiet, I can hardly hear it. I like it. Only problem is that the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is still on. I think it my have something to do w/ the oxygen sensor. I asked the mechanic about it and he suggested to wait a few days and if doesn't turn off to bring it back in to hook it onto the computer. I luv HP&trq I am definitely interested in adjusting my shifts, eliminating my speed limiter and having my code read. How do I get a hold of you?
You can pm me or send an email. cruisin_da_streets@hotmail.com The thing with the tuner is that it only works on one car at a time. I'll have to double check that it works on the 04. No reason it shouldn't. Since my car is gonna be down for a while I was thinking of selling my tuner and use the money to fix my car. I might have the user manual for it still but it's really not hard at all to use.

To turn the check light off, disconnect your battery for a few minutes. If it comes back on in a couple days then you should have the code retrieved and checked. If it is your sensors then it should be a P0172 or around there.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to BigL34461

damn........i wanna borrow someone's tuner...If there is anybody outthere in jersey....get at me!! I'll pay you to borrow it
BigL34461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The light hasn't come off. How do I disconnect the battery?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #21
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Take the Negative battery cable off.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I knew that, but what is it that I should not do to prevent being electricuted. I can touch both terminals right, just not at the same time?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

You will be fine as long as you just take off the negative terminal. And even if you do get shocked...it's not too bad. It's only bad when you have a screwdriver in your hand and touch the block with it while holding the positive terminal..then it starts welding lol.
Our's:
Old 04-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I disconnected the battery and the light is still on. My stereo settings did erase and I expected them too. It did start back on on AM though. What could have messed up from driving it w/ a broken manifold? I'm thinking its the oxygen sensors but I thought they broke. Probably a misreading or something. What should I do to avoid the 100 bucks it is to hook it up to the computer. I'm gonna run it to see if the light turns off now that I disconnected the battery. I'll keep an update.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Go to your local auto zone and have them read the code. It's free.
Our's:
Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

for some reason auto zone isn't free out here. at least at the stores I called. If you want to bring your car up to my house, i can scan it for you with my tuner.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #27
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

try advance auto parts.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
for some reason auto zone isn't free out here. at least at the stores I called. If you want to bring your car up to my house, i can scan it for you with my tuner.
You live in Cali What do you expect!!!! Everything is taxed to death or cost double compared to the rest of the US except the equally screwed up north east. Any state that has a city that have meat free zones should be vaporized or given to France.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I went to Autozone to get the scanner tool. They wanted a $180 deposit to make sure I don't steal the damn thing. I used it and got a p0174 code. It also said my system bank was too lean. I asked the guy and he said it was my oxygen sensor that needed to be replaced. I asked for the price of the sensor and it's $52. I also read on the manual for the scanner that there are some codes that could be pending and may erase after 40 warm up cycles. I don't think I've started my car 40 times since it first came on. Since my manifold broke of and fumes escaped before reaching the oxygen sensor it makes perfect sense for the light to go off. But I don't understand how the oxygen sensor broke. How does it break, or should I hope the light turns off. The scanner had an option to erase the code, but I wasn't sure if I should have (wanted to ask you guys first).
Old 04-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

They dont really break. They burn up in lean conditions or they develope residue in rich conditions. They are really a 5-8 year replacement item. I have seen cars that they were still go change them and their mileage improves as much a 2 mpg
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

So the way to fix my problem would be to replace the oxygen sensors and that's the only way?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I've ran my car for about 8k miles since I had the problem. Can I keep running my car w/o any other effect beside the service engine soon light lit up? It won't affect my car in any other way right? When I do decide to change them which one of the two sensors will it be that I need to change, how do I figure this out?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust