60k service on a V6 Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #1

Region: Florida
60k service on a V6 Mustang

I am going to be performing the 60k maint. on a ’00 V6 Mustang auto and need to know what needs to be done and how to. I do not have access to the owners manual.

The following have already been performed, motor oil, air filter, plugs, belt, water pump.

From what I’ve gathered it looks like it still needs trans fluid & coolant change. Does it need diff fluid change as well? The car doesn’t get ragged on…so it might still be good.

What fluids (brand/type/quantity) are needed for this and how to? I am NOT mechanically challenged and could wing it but want to do it right the first time as easily as possible.
MF-DIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 60k service on a V6 Mustang

at 60k I would do the following (if youve already done it ignore)

oil change
oil filter change
fuel filter change (every year)
brake fluid change (every 5 years... just do it now)
belt inspection/change
hose change/inspection
engine coolant chnge (complete flush and change i use 50/50 premix dont use tap water)
power steering fluid change (every 5 years just do it to if you can)
full tranny flush (not just drain, drain fill every year with filter)
rear end fluid change
aif filter change/cleaning if needed
change spark plugs (every 30k~)
change plug wires (every 60-80k~)
change oxygen sensors
rotate tires
inspect brake pads
inspect brake lines
check all builds/turnsignals
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #3

No one has done a write up on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

which do you need to know how to do, most are pretty easy
Old 03-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #5

- Transmission flush. This will be the first auto i've done this on, and I've heard something about taking the torque convertor out and there being a filter inside? Recommended fluid & QTY.

- Coolant flush is prolly straight forward. Type of coolant & qty.

- How to change power steering fluid, fluid/qty.

- Rear end fluid. A little info on this.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

- I would take it to ford and have them pressure the system clean, you cant do this from home nore should you remove the TQ converter due to you have to drop the transmission to do this. Ford might charge a bit but... its worth it to have it done by them and if nothing more for the liability. A simple drain/fill is easy though. simply remove the pan slowly and let it drain a bit then fully remove it after it has lost enough fluid. After that replace the filter and put the pan back on. Fill it up shift the gears a bit after its cranked and it will eventually start to shift into gears keep the level of fluid correct and your fine. After a drive check the fluid and add as needed. Be sure not to over fill.

- The coolant is another think ford can flush, but for a basic drain/fill jack the car up a bit to locate the drain plug on the passenger side bottom of the radiator, its white plastic. Remove it and lower the car over a pan to catch the fluid. Fluid will come out as soon as you remove the plug. Let it drain fully, you can inspect it, just clean the pan first so you know whats in the fluid and not was just in the pan.

Once drained cap the radiator back and remove and clean the overflow bottom, take it completly off (two people make this easier, you will have to wiggle it out of the bracket at the bottom) use hot water to rinse it clean of all the black crap it will probably have in it. Once its clean reinstall it. Use 50/50 premix, should take 2 gallons but you may want to buy 3 just in case (you can always return if not needed). Fill up the radiator using a funnel once its nearly full, just about at the tip with minimul air, put the cap on. Fill the overflow tank up half way or a bit over~ and start the car. It will warm up and eventually the thermostat will open and the fluid will start circulating, be ready. When the fluid level in the overflow starts to drop add more, dont let it go dry. Dont add to much just keep it half way~ or so. let it do this a couple times until it wont take any more fluid. After this you can let the car cool a while. DO NOT REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP while the car is hot. After the car is cool locate the bolt located in front of the upper intake facing upward, you cant miss it. Its on a black tube~ highest point on the motor (for coolant so the air in the system can be bleed off) remove it and fill up with coolant. Do this a couple times, go for a drive and then check when you are back. Keep an eye on the temp to make sure it doesnt get hot (shouldnt) and you are good to go. You should need a bit under 2 gallons for just a drain/fill. Dont mix fluid types, if you have green use green if you have orange use orange if you have gold use gold etc etc.

The power steering is pretty easy just remove the bolt on the steering rack and it will drain, then fill it. Double check this due to ive never done it myself.

The rear end is easy, smelly, but easy. Remove the bolts on the rear cover. The fluid will leak out so dont remove all the bolts loosten them and let it ooze out the bottom. Once drained remove the lid fully and inspect the fluid you drained and the gears for metal shavings and other wear/tear~ you will see a chiped tooth or so its normal, just not HUGE chips. Clean off the mounting surface of the old RTV and oil. Make SURE its clean so the RTV can seal. Put new RTV on the rear end cover and stick it back on. Besure to go around the bolts especially on the INSIDE of the bolt. Stick it back on and bolt it back up. You will notice a fill plug on the other side of the rear end on the passenger side if i remember correct. remove this plug and poor the OEM spec gear lube into the rear end until it comes out of the hole (the rear end needs to be level) after it comes out cap the hole, your done. Inspect for leaks of coruse after you are done and have driven the car a couple times.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the help!!

The reason it sounds like I know so little about the car is because it is not mine. My GF has been asking me to do the service for the past month. I've only owned imports in the past, currently a WRX (flame suit), so I needed to see what the variations in procedure where. Sounds pretty straight forward.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

The best advice is to take your time and look over it before you do it and ask any further questions you may run into. Its not hard, but not knowing a couple things can slow down your progress or make you have to wait to find them out or even mess stuff up. The car is pretty darn easy to work on, good bit of room.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
v6 mustang