Shift kits... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: California
Shift kits...

I talked to a tranny guy here. He says that I shouldn't go valve-body and that I should use an electric shift kit. He says he can even install knobs on the dash to adjust it on the fly... Okay. Well. Nobody on any forums I have been on has -ever- recommended an electric one. Ever. This guy says once he installs a valve-body, there is no going back. And if I don't like it, I need to get a new valve-body. That's why he recommends the electric one. He said electric shift kits are better for the electronically controlled transmissions. What do you think? Are they better? Is he going to fry my ECU? Does he just not know how to install valve-body ones?

Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
Legacy Member
well, hes right about getting the valvebody one installed. once its installed, you need a new valve body if you wanna take it out. just part of the nature.

supposedly as long as he gets the right computer code, it should be fine, but you can get a chip to firm up the shifts and it will be the same as the electronic shift kits, plus the chip will give you some hp if you advance the timing.

valve body kits are easier on the tranny though. they let the pressure be a specific amount that doesnt cause damage. the electronic ones just raise the pressure in the valve body and it can damage the tranny if improperly tuned or if you have too much fluid or other things.

all things being equal, i would goto another tranny shop and get a valve body kit put in. and it will be better for you.

**I have sigs turned off, so if you're asking for advice based on your mods, I can't see them**
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Send a message via AIM to v6white98
i am getting the valve body shift kit from transgo put in on monday.
I have heard that the electronic ones dont perform as good as the valve body one. I have a couple of friends that had the electronic shift kits and they werent happy with it, now they have the valve body ones and they love them.
v6white98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 07:41 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
With all the research I have done on shift kits, I have seen very few people who actually had electric shift kits installed say they would do it again But I have heard nothing but praise from hundreds of people who have had valve body shift kits installed. When doing a mod of this nature listen to the people who have them. And if it is hard to find someone who actually has the mod I would probably not do it unless it was a new product on the market and came with a warranty
Danger Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang