00 3.8 mustang parts... difficult to find please help me out here. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
00 3.8 mustang parts... difficult to find please help me out here.

I have a 00 mustang, stick shift. It's all stock so it's 190 hp at the moment I want to get the hp boosted only problem is I'm have a difficult time finding sites with parts for a 3.8 2000 mustang... any and all suggestions for what i should add would be great.

I'm looking into cold air intakes right now and found this one - Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! please tell me what you think of it.
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: 00 3.8 mustang parts... difficult to find please help me out here.

Well bro theres alot of parts out there...if you go back to the home page u can follow some of our sponsors or just google v6 mustang performance parts, or ebay has some but beware....anyway the first thing i would do is it Tlok with 373 gears, CAI and Full exhaust..as in Long tube headers, H pipe, Flowmaster and 2.5 tips...but thats just me lol. anyway after all that get u a tuner and have it tune, Just that right there will ahve you smoking GTs, and since your a beginning sixer we all know thats whats on your mind lol! but all that should put u in the 220HP range if tuned right, now u said "boostt the Hp" im sure u meant make more HP but around here when u say BOOST wes thinking actual BOOST as PSI, thats what Superchargers and Turbos do but will get to that after you get eveything else done lol
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine View Post
I have a 00 mustang, stick shift. It's all stock so it's 190 hp at the moment I want to get the hp boosted only problem is I'm have a difficult time finding sites with parts for a 3.8 2000 mustang... any and all suggestions for what i should add would be great.

I'm looking into cold air intakes right now and found this one - Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! please tell me what you think of it.
That's a good intake, but if you live in california thats not emissions legal, no CARB number. But there are lots of companys that sell parts for our cars.

BBK, Mac, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Clutchmasters, Roush, Steeda. juts have to do some research. Dont hesitate to ask.

Oh and welcome to the site.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its been done already on the v6 pretty much just a matter of finding the parts as they are a bit more difficult to find, or custom make stuff which some parts have to be done.

What exactly are you looking for?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

Quote:

That is the CAI intake i have. I am very satisfied with it, its actually quite nice. No need to spend big $$$ for a name brand CAI.
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

the only reason why you would want buy a named brand intake is more in likely they had it tested to be C.A.R.B. certified meaning leagel to have for street use in all 50states. other then that that intake is a good one.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'd honestly like to just get my mustang to 300 hp and call her done. She might only have 190hp but she can still smoke alot of things. Thank you for the info you'll more then likey see more posts from me
Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Welcome to the site. I too own a 00 sixer, and here's a couple of sites that I found to be promising:

Super Six Motorsports
Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle
Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles
Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts at Latemodel Restoration Supply
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Well I'd honestly like to just get my mustang to 300 hp and call her done. She might only have 190hp but she can still smoke alot of things. Thank you for the info you'll more then likey see more posts from me
I'll be honest, the easiest way to 300 rwhp or even 300hp at the crank is going to be a power adder ie. forced induction. At this point, you are going to want to build the engine up to handle the extra power/load put on by the power adder. This includes forged internals, upgraded upper/lower intake, and the fuel system : injectors, pump.

You'll also want to support the 300rwhp thru suspension, brakes, and drivetrain. The drivetrain is particularly important since it will be putting the power to the ground. Either upgrades to the current 7.5" such as taller gears and a tlok (limited slip, posi) or go big and just upgrade to an 8.8" rearend out of a v8 car.

The most important part of adding a power adder is tuning. Tuning and adjusting for the proper air to fuel ratios is key to prevent damage to the engine.

Now you can go about forced induction without adding all the supporting mods to the engine and drivetrain. Some manufacturers will provide a couple fuel upgrades with for example, their supercharger, and say that you can simply bolt it on and go. This is true to a point. Your car will only last so long before it may start having issues. If your car has higher mileage, certain components of the engine such as valves, IAC's, and gaskets will wear out quicker and fail, or larger problems could erupt.

It's a chance you take when doing something like this large to your car.
I'm not trying to deter you from doing it, just trying to point you in the right direction. It's not cheap, and takes a considerable amount of time, but it's better to reach that 300hp goal the right way and not have a car with a blown up engine 1000 miles later.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

300HP is not something you're going to achieve with bolt ons, just so you're aware.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

please do not think that I am not aware of this, I'm just wondering at the moment what bolt on's would give me in extra HP.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

if your gonna want 300hp your gonna want to invest in a supercharger; Vortech or Procharger. A turbo would also be a good choice. As for now getting that intake is ok. the gains are small and you will loose it once you get boosted.

A good start would be a T-Lok and Gears, H or X pipe plus a 2.5in dual exhaust. this will give you some added performance now and will benefit you later once you do get boost. good luck on your project.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Go with the AM cai, so when you buy your power adder you won't feel bad about the money spent when it's no longer needed.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quick Question: I want to get a short throw shifter but i want to keep the stock apperance.. anyone have kits for this?

Also would it be stupid to put a 8"8 rear end and 3.73 gears in at the moment with everything else stock except for the cold air intake which will be ordered on monday... If it's a good idea I'm going to start looking for a 8'8 rearend out of a 99-04 gt once I find it, the 3.73 gears.

( Would it matter if the 8'8 came out of a automatic? or does it have to be stick like mine ?) how much will the rear end run me?

Sorry that I'm asking alot of novice questions but I'd rather ask then buy something that turns out to be the wrong thing..
Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

i would call local junkyards and see how much they want for the 8.8 rear

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

this probably one of the best short shifters you can get.

Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter T5 / T-45 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quick Question: I want to get a short throw shifter but i want to keep the stock apperance.. anyone have kits for this?

Also would it be stupid to put a 8"8 rear end and 3.73 gears in at the moment with everything else stock except for the cold air intake which will be ordered on monday... If it's a good idea I'm going to start looking for a 8'8 rearend out of a 99-04 gt once I find it, the 3.73 gears.

( Would it matter if the 8'8 came out of a automatic? or does it have to be stick like mine ?) how much will the rear end run me?

Sorry that I'm asking alot of novice questions but I'd rather ask then buy something that turns out to be the wrong thing..
Go ahead and get the 8.8 sway bar & quad shocks & install the gears, The rear end is the same for auto & 5sp just different drive shafts. Remember you will need a tuner to correct the speedo once you install the gears. The average price is $2-$400 for a stock 8.8. ( 99-04 )
Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go with the MGW short throw shifter. Yeah, it is a little pricey... but IMO it is the best out there. It also has the shortest throw, yes, more than the steeda one. (I made sure i did lots of research before purchasing)

to keep the stock look, just put the stock shift knob back on it.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

im talking about the boot part will that go over the short throw without a problem?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
im talking about the boot part will that go over the short throw without a problem?
I believe all of the after market shifters reuse the factory boot. Some come with a sleeve to allow taller & different shaped shifters to work like the chrome Hurst.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big show 98 View Post
I believe all of the after market shifters reuse the factory boot. Some come with a sleeve to allow taller & different shaped shifters to work like the chrome Hurst.
Correct-amundo.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

I have a tri-ax and I really like it.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Tri-Ax my self. I love it
Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #24
Road Trip!

As do I. I like it pretty well myself.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Simple way to 300rwhp is savings and patience: Buy an 8.8 rear end, or a Detroit tru trac and gears, do shocks and struts if you want, tuner (I prefer sct), 310 fuel pump, get rid of the Y pipe and do dual exhaust. Those are mods that won't go to waste when you go turbo or supercharger. If your dead set on a supercharger then long tube headers won't go to waste, if your set of a turbo get under drive pulleys and that won't go to waste. Saving 100$ on a cold air intake for example gets you 100$ closer to boost!
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the boot will work with both the steeda and the MGW shifters. actually, it works really well with them.

as for which shifter is better, take a look at this thread i posted shortly after i joined. it was extremely helpful. hope it helps you too

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t145187/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang