T'lock question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #1

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to yellowscreamer
T'lock question

So What i just found out is when i do a burn out one wheel spins, i kno im new to the mustang thing sry. I was an import guy for 3 years. but i just got an 03 yellow mustang V6 5speed and was wondering where can i get a t'lock and how much am i lookin for install.. also is that gunna slow down the car cuz both wheels are movin. thanks...
yellowscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #2

Region: Missouri
Re: T'lock question

a limited slip differential (t-lock) is really good to have both tires getting power to the ground under heavy acceleration. Someone correct me if im wrong, but i think it really only affects anything when your right tire is actually losing grip. Ebay is probably the best place to find one. Be sure it is a limited slip for a 7.5 rear end. Not the 8.8 rear end. Differentials for 7.5 will probably be a tad more difficult to find. If you cant find one there go to rpmoutlet.com or v6mustangstuff.com.
blk99stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:19 AM   #3

Region: Missouri

oh by the way, welcome to the domestic club. Youre running with a better crowd and car now!
blk99stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowscreamer
So What i just found out is when i do a burn out one wheel spins, i kno im new to the mustang thing sry. I was an import guy for 3 years. but i just got an 03 yellow mustang V6 5speed and was wondering where can i get a t'lock and how much am i lookin for install.. also is that gunna slow down the car cuz both wheels are movin. thanks...
it'll make you a hair slower in the fact that it makes the car heavier (VERY small weight gain though), but it'll make your launches better... as both tires will grip. And yeah, only when the one wheel starts going do they both get the power...

Install on the t-lock won't be cheap. I'm not for sure how much, because I blew out my rear end, and just got the 8.8" rear out of the Mustang GT, which already has it ...

both tires being able to peel out is definitely an advantage.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

as far as making the car "slower in the fact that it makes the car heavier" that's stupid. It will change your speed about as much as a backpack with books in it would.

also, if you're looking to get gears (best mod for the money from what I hear) then you'd be best off doing t-lok and gears at once. They have to open up the same stuff to get the t-lok installed.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Exactly what WhiteStang99 said. Do the gears and traction lok at the same time. People recommend 3.73 gears for 5-speeds.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom

You do better burnouts with an open rear end since all the power is going to one wheel. It just looks gay.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you have two ways to go. The first way would be to upgrade the stock rear end with ford OEM gears and a ford OEM tlok unit. This works great but the dont take to much abuse. They tend to break at the track when launching. For the street if they are installed correctly and are brand new (not used parts) you should not have a problem unless you launch the car hard on sticky tires. If you do not plan to go to the track or drag race then you can go this route.

The second option is to buy a 8.8 rear end (vs your 7.5 inch) this size is found by the measurment across the pumpking (the round thing on the rear end) the strength is in the 8.8's tlok unit (the 7.5 inch's weak link is its spider gears located in its tlok unit) this is a bit more costly but in the end it can save you money when it does not break.

Costs:

7.5 inch OEM rear end build up:

Gears - 200~
Tlok - 200~
Install - 200-500
Extra (shims, bearings, spacers) - 75~

8.8:
complete 8.8 rear end 800-1000 new and 300-600 used~

P.S. 99+ mustangs should use a 99+ 8.8 rear end as the 94-98 8.8 rear ends are shorter by 1.5 inches overall. They are 100% interchangable from 7.5 to 8.8 from any year for the most part just may be a bit shorter so its best stay with your body style. If you have ABS and traction control then... you will need to aquire a rear end that shares this (easiest way)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #9

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to yellowscreamer
Smile Re: T'lock question

Thanks everyone, I think im just gunna go with the 8.8 rear from the gt but new. Its about the same in price and stronger, thats what you guys are saying. And yea im really happy to be in the domestic car club thanks alot for the imput!
yellowscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang