1996 Mustang HELP! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Region: Arizona
Angry 1996 Mustang HELP!

Hey everybody hope someone can help me on this problem. The other day I'm driving to work and I notice the temp gauge is getting up there close to the red line while driving down the highway. Once I get off the highway it comes down a little bit but then I start hearing this odd noise coming from somewhere(thinking under the hood but don't know) that sounded like a diesel engine when you step on the gas-you know like a school bus sound. This only happened when I accelerated. OK, so I get to work and one of my buddies comes to take a look. He says it sounds like the thermostat is gunked up and not opening/closing like it should. I also was a quart low in the oil dept. Put a quart in, drove it around a bit, seemed fine. On the way home, it starts getting to the red line again and making that horendous noise. I pull off the freeway and into a parking lot and it dies. Smoke is coming from the engine and I get it towed. Take it to Pep-Boys and they say it has combustible gases in the radiator and may have blown head gasket. About 3 months ago I was losing some rad fluid so I put that stop-leak junk in the radiator and am now wondering if that was such a good idea. Now I'm contemplating a trip to the dealer for a more accurate report but am wondering if anyone out there has any advice for me. I also notice the overflow tank is constantly full to the top, like the fluid is not circulating. Thanks

roadfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Re: 1996 Mustang HELP!

Possible blown headgasket.

- Matthew | matthew98@gmail.com
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: 1996 Mustang HELP!

It sounds like your thermostat was not opening and your engine overheated to the point of blowing a head gasket at the least. With that kind of heat damage, I'd recommend rebuilding the engine to ensure there isn't anymore damage to the engine besides the gasket.
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

1996 mustang