Clutch travel distance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:55 PM   #1
Send a message via ICQ to Graboid Send a message via AIM to Graboid
Clutch travel distance

I'm a little ignorant to clutch stuff since I have driven all automatics in the past. Is there a way to cut down the travel distance on my clutch? The way it is now, i swear it goes back about 4 inches before the disc completely disengages from the plate, and takes about 6 or 7 inches to be far enough down to start the car. I have driven two different cars from two different people (a fox body stang and a mercury capri) and their clutches disengage in about 2 inches and hit the floor at 3 inches.

Graboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
Get an adjustable clutch quadrant. UPR and Steeda make them. Cost is around 90.00 I beleive.

v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
a new quadrent and firewall adjuster is a bad way to go about setting up the cltuch will want it a touch firm at teh top, and if you take out the stock quadrent then you will have to tighten up the adjuster alot and it will wind up being right where it is now or higher. you can just leave slack in the quadrent...that works but the petal will flop up and be up high and you will have to still move your foot up high and then push it down, this only makes it start to grab lower...the best way to do it is to get a quadrent, firewall adjuster and the little clutch petal lowering thign from maximum motorsports. this way you can drop the petal height down lower...then you can use the quadrent adn ajuster to get the tention right so now you have a lower petal that is adjusted right. the whole problem is cuz the stop location for the stock petal is way to high....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
Do what I did. get a clutch quadrant and then use a big body washer (2" in diameter or so, and use that as a spacer to bring the pedal down. that's what I did, and it worked great. The pedal doesn't flop or anything and it brought it down to about the same level as the brake pedal.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang