Questions on 06 pony - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
Questions on 06 pony

Couple of question on the 06 pony. First off, I'm new to the site so these questions may have been asked/answered before
1) Can you use the dual exhaust from an 06 gt on the v6?
2) Can anyone explain why there is such a " lag" in the car from the time you hit the gas to the time it actually goes?
3) I plan on ( slowly) modifying the car. Best induction, exhaust, computer changes ect? Thanks
nofear18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Questions on 06 pony

1) They make kits to allow you to use dual exhaust on your car, I am not sure the major differences in GT vg 6s as far as the mufflers go but im sure its pretty easy t adapt, you may just need a bit of fabrication and the cat back pipes from the GT. Othrs will chime in with an exact answer for you soon im sure.

2) the throttle is not controled by a direct cable anymore, its computer controled so the computer is the one that is lagging and making it seem to take forever for the response to come in

3) there are many many mods both for looks and performance, exhaust is subjective, induction is subjective, tunes are subjective lol. Most bolt ons dont do much of anything~ the 05+ owners will also come in and give you a list of what they have and how they like it im sure.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Welcome to the site man, and he pretty much answered the questions lol
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

there are some 05+ v6 owners here that have quite a bit of mods they just need to show up
Old 05-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Welcome :smoke: SpectorV Said it all

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I've got a 06 GT, so I guess I'm really not too much help.

But from what I've read, you can get rid of a lot of the throtte lag with a tune (of course, this was in reference to the GTs, but I'm sure the V6 would likely be the same).

Oh yeah, and welcome.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the warm invite guys!! I do read the postings on all the info. As far as exhaust, I am looking for a low grumble throughout acceleration. I realize that it might be tacky or gaudy to try and get a v6 to sound like a gt but, a guys gotta try. I DO NOT want a rice burner sound. Regarding the " lag", I guess its time to " tune" the computer. Any suggestions on some thing that is effective and easy to understand? Thanks
nofear18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you may be interested in an OEM gt take off you can always upgrade to a better muffler later on~ the sound wont be super loud either with the stock gt mufflers
Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

I don't have a lot of mods, and don't plan on a lot more right now. I do have
GT takeoff mufflers, used the stock right side pipe, and had one made for the left side. (looking from the rear right and left) I have an AFE stage one CAI, and plan on UD pulleys later maybe. Biggest trouble with modding the 4.0 is parts a little scarce, and expensive to buy.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

many parts will start to come out just takes a bit of time for all the companies to catch up, they seem to neglect the v6s sadly
Old 05-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #11

Region: Alaska

I now you said slowly build up, so some good sites that got my stuff from are:

lmperformance.com (Body, performance and more from here)
rmpoutlet.com (mainly performance)

Both these sites offer free shipping to the lower 48.

I would have alot more if shipping to me was not that expensive. I do have a tuner and intake I'm trying to get rid of. It's the Mac straight shot and Diablo sport tuner. Right now I'm going for 250 shipped. Let me know.
Sonic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear18
Thanks for the warm invite guys!! I do read the postings on all the info. As far as exhaust, I am looking for a low grumble throughout acceleration. I realize that it might be tacky or gaudy to try and get a v6 to sound like a gt but, a guys gotta try. I DO NOT want a rice burner sound. Regarding the " lag", I guess its time to " tune" the computer. Any suggestions on some thing that is effective and easy to understand? Thanks
Welcome in! I have a Magnaflow true dual system on mine, there's a video on my site to let you hear them. Nice and deep, all over. As to tuning, I'd recommend calling Doug at Bamachips (bamachips.com) and letting him set you up with an XCAL2 and 3 of his custom tunes. I'm running his 93-torque tune and it makes all the difference in the world. Throttle lag is gone, rev limiter is gone, shifts are seriously firm. Like a brand new car.

See more at 05sixpack.com
C&L CAI;XCAL2;Bamachips 93-Perf Tune;True Duals w/x-pipe
GT Bullits;GT Scoop;12" LeMans Stripes;SS Side Louvers
downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

ive heard bad things about rpmoutlet, no first hand experience. I do know they drastically over rate hp/tq gains though.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
ive heard bad things about rpmoutlet, no first hand experience. I do know they drastically over rate hp/tq gains though.
Gotta love their 16.2 hp claimed gain on the ud pulley for the 4.0! LOL! I should order one today.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, that is high, I would put it at half that or maybe a bit more.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
yeah, that is high, I would put it at half that or maybe a bit more.
You think it would even be that much? The only one I've ever installed was on my old turbo'd Neon and it was worth 2hp according the dyno, which means, to me anyway, it was worth "0". A 2hp gain could have been a fluctuation of any number of things. Most of the independent tests I've seen show about the same results. Lighter rotational weight might help in the revving department though, and that's always a good thing.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Really, from what I can remember I have usually seen figures like 8 hp or so for ud pulleys, I could be wrong.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #18

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear18
Couple of question on the 06 pony. First off, I'm new to the site so these questions may have been asked/answered before
1) Can you use the dual exhaust from an 06 gt on the v6?
2) Can anyone explain why there is such a " lag" in the car from the time you hit the gas to the time it actually goes?
3) I plan on ( slowly) modifying the car. Best induction, exhaust, computer changes ect? Thanks
You might want to try a CAI. The exhaust would probibly work but with a lot of cutting and a little welding on the X pipe.
Boblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

X pipe? GTs don't even come with an Xpipe, that is an aftermarket add-on, and I believe you can get one for a 4.0L V6. The GT exhaust, or axle back will work, you have to have one custom pipe made and you can use your stock right side pipe. You have the Y pipe cut and joined to the stock pipe and the custom one, if you could get a GT pipe for the left side, that will work, but most people go with the stock plumbing and only change the axle back stuff on GTs, its 2.5 inch pipe, even on our V6s.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblitz
You might want to try a CAI. The exhaust would probibly work but with a lot of cutting and a little welding on the Y pipe.

Don't -even- bother using your right pipe, you can pick up a cat back system from Magnaflow for around $400.00 w/s&h . It's not an old car so dont do a hack job. I have the magnaflows and they sound exellent. They use your Y pipe !so you keep a little backpressure!! Improves flow by about 165%
It is an easy instulation- about 40min.

Check out Mustang Parts and Performance online (good deal on short throw shifters to)

Enjoy and dont fake the GT or Roush look---Keep it tasteful
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dual exhausts that leave the Y pipe intact are simply not real dual exhaust, I am not faking anyone's look either, and my 06 Pony is very tasteful! Why wouldn't you reuse the exhaust pipe on the right side, its stainless steel, and it works fine for duals, all you need is the left side pipe from a GT or just have one made like I did. There are two types here, true duals, and fake duals with two Y pipes on them, I didn't want that, I got what I wanted and it works very well thanks.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
Dual exhausts that leave the Y pipe intact are simply not real dual exhaust, I am not faking anyone's look either, and my 06 Pony is very tasteful! Why wouldn't you reuse the exhaust pipe on the right side, its stainless steel, and it works fine for duals, all you need is the left side pipe from a GT or just have one made like I did. There are two types here, true duals, and fake duals with two Y pipes on them, I didn't want that, I got what I wanted and it works very well thanks.
I agree, I got true duals on mine, reused the stock right side pipe, and it looks great, even under the car. And your car looks great, btw! Pay no mind to the "opinionated" people! LOL! It's your ride, do it your way, 'nuff said!

Old 05-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #23

Region: Ohio

hey downtime, did you cut out youre rear bumer of the dual pipes? I really like how it looks. Great job!
dwtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtc
hey downtime, did you cut out youre rear bumer of the dual pipes? I really like how it looks. Great job!
Thanks, man! Yep! It's been cut. I had a local shop (Kinneys Mufflers) do it. I wanted something a little bit different, so I went with the oval tips and the polished stainless Magnaflow mufflers.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

It does look good man!
Old 05-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

So I was pessured into going true duals by my local club and certain V6 forums and honestly don't feel any difference in performance, maybe at 70 plus, not sure. It's a little louder and now definately sounds like a V6 Yuk! . I am adding an X pipe this week to see if that helps equal out the pulses of those 3 lil puffers on each bank I am running GT mufflers as always but have lost that quiet but V8 sound. I'll continue to play with it until it's right and keep you posted.
Mustang Life -- Gallery Photo: 05 STANG in Las Vegas
Old 05-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05STANG
So I was pessured into going true duals by my local club and certain V6 forums and honestly don't feel any difference in performance, maybe at 70 plus, not sure. It's a little louder and now definately sounds like a V6 Yuk! . I am adding an X pipe this week to see if that helps equal out the pulses of those 3 lil puffers on each bank I am running GT mufflers as always but have lost that quiet but V8 sound. I'll continue to play with it until it's right and keep you posted.
The X will help, an H pipe will give it a deeper sound than the X. Most people I know that had straight through duals on the new 6 put in a X or H within the week complaining it sounded like an import.
Best 1/4: 10.97@122.09, 1.56 60ft w/4.0 V6
Best 1/4: 11.67@115.45, 1.64 60ft w/5.4 3V
Best 1/8: 7.401@92.77, 1.65 60ft w/5.4 3V
Rygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05STANG

Do it. It will sound a lot better with a little backpressure.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #29

Exhaust 101. True duel sounds great, on a V8
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Exhaust 101. True duel sounds great, on a V8
V8 stangs come with true duals!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygen
The X will help, an H pipe will give it a deeper sound than the X. Most people I know that had straight through duals on the new 6 put in a X or H within the week complaining it sounded like an import.

You ran 8s--1/8-- with your V6. WOW. What mod helped you out the most? 3:73 ?
Nice car
Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

The reason v6's have single exhaust is that: Ford didnt want them to be loud, its a base model and wanted it to be quite, ford saved a TON of money by only having a single pipe from the Y pipe back, most dont care about performance on the v6 so yet another reason to not add it.

The fire order of the engine has nothing to do with what type of exhaust is needed (dual vs single on the mustangs), the v8 is odd fire so it needs a blance pipe, a pipe that connect each side of the exhaust together, when using a dual exhaust setup. The v6 does not require this balance pipe as it is even fire and the pressure is even per side.

The sound is about the same on dual exhaust vs single exhaust, the gains are about the same as well.

99% of mustang owners like to see two exhaust pipe out the back and I dont know about you but I would rather have true dual exhaust instead of fake dual exhaust. Its just about as cheap either way and most see a SLIGHTLY bit higher hp/tq increase from duals. Also most that do the exhaust want to mod the car in other ways and they want to do it right/the best way/the most gains so thats why that do true dual exhaust.

Its very cheap to buy a GT cat back (120 bucks easy) and a 70 buck dual exhaust adaptor pipe (weld in with bolt on ends) so you can bolt up the cat back and be good to go and it looks great.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
I hit it on the button hu.

A yellow neon?

With a big chrome tip!

evidently !!!
Dude you have no idea who danger dude is, he is one of the guys here with the most expirience.
I will also agree that the v6 sounds great with a proper dual exhaust. The firing order has nothing to do with the amount of tail pipes. The crossover in the mid pipe is used on some cars to even out pressure among the banks, however on the v6 this is isnt needed because of our firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6. You were just confused thats okay though, we're here to help.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:11 AM   #34

So, what about the Sabres.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

What do you mean by Sabres?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang