Someone help me please!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
Someone help me please!!!

Im 18 and hardly know anything about mustangs. My parents bought me a 2001 V6 a couple of weeks ago. About 2 weeks after i got it i started hearing noises that sounded like it was the power steering plus a squelling noise. Alot of my friends have told me it could be a ball joint. Can someone help me out before i spend alot of money to have someone find the problem for me.
01stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Someone help me please!!!

If it is your power steering pump, it will get noticably louder when you turn the wheel. The first thing you can do there is check your power steering fluid, if it is low, you can simply add fluid and this will reduce or even eliminate the noise. If it continues to use fluid, you will either need a new pump or have that one repaired. If it has been doing this for a long time, I'd recommend just getting a new pump b/c your old one has probably eaten itself away.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Do you have a general idea of where the sound is coming from? Also, have you noticed it doing it under any certain conditions, such as: it only does it when you're turning, or it only does it when braking, etc???

The most obvious thing to check based on what you said would simply be to check your power steering fluid level. It'll be a lot easier for us to (try to) diagnose though if you could give us any more specifc info.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

what area does it come from, what do you do that causes it (in extreme detail) when does it do it worse/better/not at all etc etc the more detail, no matter how minute, could help us in telling you what it is.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #5

Region: Maryland

First i would like to say thanks for everyone who is tryin to help me out. The sound is coming from the driver side front wheel well. It only makes a sound when i turn the car on and i start driving and either make turns or hit a bump and when i move the steering wheel slightly. The only time it doesnt make a sound is when the car is off. Even when i move the steering wheel i hear nothing. I can hear a humming sound which my dads friend who is a mechanic told me it was my power steerin but i already knew that. I checked the level of fluid and its fine. Its all the way up to the top. I dont know what the other sound is but the best way i can describe it is a sqeaking bed lol. If i need to replace my power steering pump how much would that cost? Would it be easy to repair myself or should i have a shop do it for me? Thanks again.
01stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Squeaking bed sounds like a spring.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Well if it is constantly making the noise and gets woese if you go to turn the steering wheel at all YOU HAVE BAD WHEEL BEARINGS. A tire store can fix you up for under a $100 if it only 1 wheel and the spindle is not toast but I suggest getting all the wheels done. Are you close to the coast if so the salt water plays havoc on lower exterior car parts and even more so if they put salt on the roads.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it should also do this when the car is pushed, I would bet a wheel bearing~ a good shop can tell you in a matter of minutes and get you a free quote on fixing, then check around and go to where you feel best not just where its the cheapest.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« Injectors | Rotors »