Noobie looking for some suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:57 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to 98socalstang
Noobie looking for some suggestions

Alright, I'm the noobie to the forum, but I got a little bit of knowledge on the car stuff. I got a 98 stang, basically stock, minus the k&n filter I threw in there. I'm looking for some quick and relatively cheap mods to throw on the car. I want to start with CAI, but I'm stuck on what exactly to get. Should I go for the standard longflow(?) intake or a fenderwell. Don't exactly know the difference. Just looking for some more hp for the v6. Also, I want to do dual pipes, but I'm wondering about just doing a bolt on to the Y pipe. Will get the needed horses or not? Just let me know.

PS I'm looking at a short shifter on ebay. Is it worth it. 8)
98socalstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 01:35 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to cgrant26
These 4 mods are generally considered the best first bolt-on mods for any 3.8 Stang.
8.8 Rear end with 3.73/4.10 gears
UD (Underdrive) pullies
Fenderwell CAI (MAC or clone)
GT Take-off Dual exhaust conversion

These will all give you a good bump in performance. As far as a shifter, the Steeda Tri-Ax is an excellant way to go. Of course all this is assuming your focusing on power first. Of course by far the best bang-for-the-buck mod is a conversion to split port. You can either swap engines or simply swap heads, intake, fuel rail and ECU. A chip (+dynotuning) can really bring out the potential of a modded engine, but does not do a whole lot for a stock 3.8. An aluminum driveshaft is another way to free up a bit more power and it's relatively cheap too. ($160-$170)
Hope this helps.
Port/Polish, Halfshafted Throttlebody
Custom modded intake W/ K&N
MAC CC plates
FMS K-brace
Jamex springs/shocks
HTB Full Length SFC's
17x9 98 GT Rims
...and it's still slow.
cgrant26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:15 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Ok you want the best bang for the buck. Well here is my suggestions

1. Underdrive pullies $80 - 100

2. 3.73 or 4.10 rearend gears with track lock installed $ 500 to 700 "best bang for the buck and not get inside the motor".

3. Dual exhaust Some people order kits but I prefer to have custom made at local muffler shops. Type of muffler is your preference and any future enginfe mode will respond favorably to this mod 350 to 550. Dont waste you time or money on Long tube headers or H pipes your stock motor will not flow any better with them!!!

4. PI 3000 stall converter 600 - 900 installed. I will getting one soon will make a big difference in how the car performs in terms of take off . If you ever want to go to the track this is a bonus mod!!!

5. CAI this is a small gain but fairly inexpensive 60-180 depending on make you buy.

6. Get a chip this will remove the speed limiter currently set at 116, raise rpm limiter, give you much firmer shifts, give you a extra 10 hp and 10 RWTQ programming ofr 92 octane gas by advancing timing 4 degrees $ 275.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:57 AM   #4
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Re: Noobie looking for some suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98socalstang
Alright, I'm the noobie to the forum, but I got a little bit of knowledge on the car stuff. I got a 98 stang, basically stock, minus the k&n filter I threw in there. I'm looking for some quick and relatively cheap mods to throw on the car.
Quote:
I want to start with CAI, but I'm stuck on what exactly to get. Should I go for the standard longflow(?) intake or a fenderwell. Don't exactly know the difference.
I would suggest the $60 eBay CAI

Quote:
Just looking for some more hp for the v6. Also, I want to do dual pipes, but I'm wondering about just doing a bolt on to the Y pipe. Will get the needed horses or not? Just let me know.
The bolt on to the Y-pipe type will give you a nice sound, moderately improve exhaust flow, and should give you the same benefits as a full dual setup. Specifically because you are not pushing that much power out of your single-port yet.

You can get a sweet true-dual setup, but won't notice a huge difference from the bolt on Y-pipe style. Plus you will spend quite a bit more money. The bolt on type can be installed in your driveway with proper tools, the true duals will require a muffler shop to cut/weld/fabricate Plus the cost of the new pipes and mufflers.

If I could do it again, I would go the bolt on Y-pipe style. With all the bolt ons, you are honestly looking at 140rwhp. No need to sink a ton of money for that power.

Now if you want to get serious, you can dig into the engine and get some great gains. Dan has a 98 Single-Port with over 400rwhp!

Quote:
PS I'm looking at a short shifter on ebay. Is it worth it. 8)
yes.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:59 AM   #5

Thanks fellas. Just one more thing. Fenderwell intake. I hear that they are not worth it. I should just spend the extra money of the standard long tube. What do you guys think?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:08 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
CAI do not give alot of HP or torque but they help the engine breath a little better. When and if yyou decide to do some engine mods you will appreciate the CAI. Just dont spend a lot of money!!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
CAI and dual exhuast go hand in hand... the more air that engine can get in, the more it can get out... and hence more HP. TO be honest, id start with those 2 mods. It does wonders for the look of the rear end of your stang, and gives you a decent amount of hp and tq. Those two mods together were my favorite besides my gears

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Outk4stV6
as for the fenderwell cai, that is the one everyone on here has. u can spend the money on a MAC or BBK cai, but the majority of ppl on here will tell u to look on ebay for a cai prolly from procarparts.com (thats where i got mine). as for the gears ur car will not be producing enough power for a long time to need an 8.8 rear end, but if u can swap rear ends urself then buy the 8.8 it'll come out to be the same as a shop installing gears and t-lok on ur car. most ppl will get CAI, exhaust, and pullies first.
welcome to the board.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:07 PM   #9

I just went with 3.27's and noticed a big difference. Thats with an auto too. I agree about the 8.8, you won't have to worry about having a stronger rear for a while. With GT duals it'll sound better, but its really, really quiet. I'm thinkin about keeping the GT mufflers and going with an off-road h-pipe to make it louder and maybe gain a couple horses up top. Some have said they didn't lose anything noticeable down low and it doesn't sound like rice so I might do that.
Jamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Outk4stV6
most ppl will say the rule for gears is 3.73s for manual, 4.10s for auto
Old 09-23-2003, 06:42 PM   #11
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
4.10s are VERY fun

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #12

I don't doubt that, but I didn't want my rpm to be damn near 3K at 70 on the highway.
Jamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:32 PM   #13

I also saw someone talking about velocity tubes. whats the story with those and how do they hold up to other cai. if they are better, i'll go with them otherwise i'll stick to a fenderwell cai on ebay.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to cgrant26
The CAI just gives a smoother wider path for charge air and draws that air from a cooler source than the engine bay. Cooler air = a more dense air charge = more power. I have never personally heard of velocity tubes, I would assume it's just another term for a CAI.
Port/Polish, Halfshafted Throttlebody
Custom modded intake W/ K&N
MAC CC plates
FMS K-brace
Jamex springs/shocks
HTB Full Length SFC's
17x9 98 GT Rims
...and it's still slow.
cgrant26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:36 PM   #15

No, I saw some other guy write about them. It's made by wmsracing. There website it wmsracing.com. you can check it out there. I heard there sound is awesome. looking for some back up there

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang