Rims lookin alittle shatty! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Question Rims lookin alittle shatty!

I have alloy SVT rims on my 96 mustang and latley I have noticed they are becoming like dull looking...they used to look really "silvery" but ever since I used Maguiers Hot Rims Cleaner on them they look dull and not glossy anymore ( I used it because I was told it would clean them really good..guess to good huh?). I was thinking I should just get them repainted but since me and my boyfriend finally got our own place we are a little tight on money...any solutions to solve this?
Debras96stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Re: Rims lookin alittle shatty!

You have any pictures? I usually just clean my wheels with windex and paper towels :dunno:

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

nope..dont have digi camera or id post em on here...it looks like the clear coat on them is just...gone! I cant stand it cause they come clean anymore like they used to...its just the front too the back ones look just fine...I figured it might be brake dust thats stained on there but I have tried everyhting to get them looking clean again...IM A FAILURE AT THAT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

A member on here by the name of Danger Dude had a pic of his mustang ( im guessing) in his profile...the rims that r on the mustang in the picture look like the ones I have only what they USED to look like...they look alot more darker grey now....
Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

that sux i love that maguires stuff--u may want to try black magic chrome cleaner, i use that on my other chrome stuff

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Why dont you clean them and then polish and wax them. This will make them shine and protect them!!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Huh...what kind of polish should I use though? Any products that will improve this shattiness? Like I said b4 the Maguiers stuff works good for cleaning them but I dont understand why they dont have the shiny appearance anymore...used to look like they had a clear coat on them but now its POOF! GONE!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debras96stang
Huh...what kind of polish should I use though? Any products that will improve this shattiness? Like I said b4 the Maguiers stuff works good for cleaning them but I dont understand why they dont have the shiny appearance anymore...used to look like they had a clear coat on them but now its POOF! GONE!
They did have a clear coat and now it is gone. Those spray and rinse products are bad for clearcoat. I would use the same polish and wax that you would use on the car. Keep the rims waxed will also help prevent dust build up and make cleaning easier.

For rim cleaning I use diluted Grease lightning, dish washing liquid or car wash liquid.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So just using a polisher wax would make em shine again maybe? Is there a brand you would recommmend? I dont know much about rims though..#1 IM A GIRL #2 I just recently got into cars when I turned 16....so as for these Alloys clear coat just use a wax right?...I will go buy some and see what it dfoes to em....hope it brings a little shine maybe!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I would go with maguires, Zymol, Mothers and get a polish then a wax not a 2 in one. You really want to get all the oxidation off before the wax. I would also buy some bug and tar remover or a can of mineral spiits to throughly clean all the road grime off the rim first.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at Mothers yesterday but it syas its mostly used on aluminum and chrome, I didnt even knwo I could use it on there. I know maguiers has some good waxes but again I didnt even know I could use a car wax on them. So clean the rims good first and then apply the wax right? You think it will improve their look any?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

On painted rims use regular car polish and wax not the stuff for aluminum or metal. If you have rims like mine they have paint on them. metal polish will destroy the paint.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yep they are like yours...I think..what I can see is what I got...does yours have SVT in the middle cap part? If so..then yep I got your rims....I didnt know what kind of stuff to use on them cause of the paint...didnt want to tarnish them or do what happened to them already...clear coat GONE BY BYE!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner it is a powerful and highly effective formula for removing baked on brake dust and road grime without all the scrubbing. Just spray on and hose off. Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner is safe on chrome wheels and all factory clear coated wheels, this formula is ideal of wheels with hard to clean crevices, grooves, and intricate designs. Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner has special ingredients with anti-static action help prevent future brake dust build up. That is not to say that you won't have dust. It will simply come off much easier. It doesn't get any better or easier than that! If you have really tough grime build-up, try using a Metal Polish that is safe for the type of wheel or rim you want to clean.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang
Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner it is a powerful and highly effective formula for removing baked on brake dust and road grime without all the scrubbing. Just spray on and hose off. Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner is safe on chrome wheels and all factory clear coated wheels, this formula is ideal of wheels with hard to clean crevices, grooves, and intricate designs. Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner has special ingredients with anti-static action help prevent future brake dust build up. That is not to say that you won't have dust. It will simply come off much easier. It doesn't get any better or easier than that! If you have really tough grime build-up, try using a Metal Polish that is safe for the type of wheel or rim you want to clean.
But if you read her post the Clear Coat is gone!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

So much for speed reading

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 05-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

mothers is good.. may want to check their website to see if they have anything for your problem.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I will try the polish and wax thing...if it doesnt work then I guess I am stuck with trying to save sum money up to get the re-clear coated....DAMN if that has to happen cause I bet that will be expensiver than ****!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

May want to try this How to Take The Clear Coat Off of Your Rims and Polish Them - ThirdGen.org

Quote:
Old 05-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

That actually made that rim look completely different.

But why did he paint the rim before using the deep crystal step 1 if it leaves spots on the paint. He said it also removes deposits, so I would think you would just do it beforehand.

So would it be ok to do it the other way around and polish, then paint? This sounds look a good project for this summer till I get my rims.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

It sounds like you may have left the cleaner on too long. I work at a parts store and we get complaints all the time about wheel cleaners when in most cases it was the owner leaving the liquid on for as much AS AN HOUR!

To avoid this, I just keep up on the cleaning and the other day I tried some chrome polish, but it made no effect because I've been keeping them clean with just regular car wash.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang