Shift Kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #1

Shift Kit

I recently purchased a B&M shift kit for a 96 mustang v-6 auto w/ 119500 miles on it. I've been told by a local transmission shop that they do not advise installing a shift kit in a car with over 75,000. If they do, no warranty, done at my risk.
Anyone have any experience in this area?
dd96stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Shift Kit

Not sure about the mileage part of the transmission but I wouldnt see a problem with it. Also you shouldnt pay someone to install a short throw shifter, it is really basic, simple unbolting, and fun to work on your car at the same time.
Here is step by step directions
How to install a short-throw shifter on your car properly | Video « Wonder How To
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA View Post
Not sure about the mileage part of the transmission but I wouldnt see a problem with it. Also you shouldnt pay someone to install a short throw shifter, it is really basic, simple unbolting, and fun to work on your car at the same time.
Here is step by step directions
How to install a short-throw shifter on your car properly | Video « Wonder How To
I think he's talking automatic.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

If so it is a little harder on the trans but I'd do it. But anymore everyone just uses a tuner to make it shift faster.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

Cool Video Clip
Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah people nowadays end up letting the tuner do most of the work on the auto slushboxes. But some guys who just like shifting the car all the time or hit the 1320 alot prefer the B&M's. Generally, if you don't overly abuse the transmission and know how to shift it the B&M, it should be fine for quite a few more miles.

If you're not relying on the car as a dd, I'd say go for it, so if the transmission does decide to give you problems (which is a broad area, there are so many possibilities these days with everything connected to the electronics), you could get it fixed or swap in another one. But if you are using the car to get to work each day, and don't have a second car, I'd tread carefully. How does your current transmission feel, does it slip at all, has the filter been changed out, does it leak anywhere (selector shaft, filler tube base or between the engine/transmission somewhere).

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
I think he's talking automatic.
whoops misread. I would just suggest getting a tuner and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The tuner helps auto out a lot with their shift points and if you have other mods the tuner will help express those mods too.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #8

Wow. Thanks everyone.
Returning the shift kit as for at least another 2 months the car is a daily driver. After that, I'll have it off the road as a daily anyway. gonna look into the tuner route as I've done other mods and would love to be sure I get the full effect of those changes.
Again, Thanks to everyone.
dd96stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang