i'm at a crossroad........would like input - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

i'm at a crossroad........would like input

ok, some of you may know that i am saving up to do a revamp of my car. what i am planning on doin is a motor swap, tranny rebuild, and rear end swap at once, then after it is broken it, i planned on spraying it.......once the suspension starts to give, it will be replaced, then later on going with a vortech on top of it all, which sits me around 400-450rwhp.......if i run a 125 shot + 10 psi, i dunno exactly how much a bored and honed 3.8 with forged internals can take, i thought they said a 200 shot and/or 20 psi. if thats the case, i might up the psi and shot.

the total cost for this is approximately $5k for the motor swap ($3k), GT rear ($$ dunno), and a rebuilt tranny (hopefully no more than $1k)........if i can get a friend of Rob's (who worked as a mechanic building up mustangs) to work on my car, i think labor wont be much.

i'm not fully sure if i wanna s/c it though. if that motor can handle a 200 shot, i might just run that and sit pretty around 400rwhp, b/c if i am not mistaken, with the motor swap, i should be around 250rwhp with a good tune. which should be good enough for me.......thats low low 14s, if not high 13s, right?

but as i am explaning this to some people, i keep hearing "why dont you just buy another car?".......so if i save about 10-15k (2-3x as much) and sell my car for about 7k (which will probably be what its worth then), i would have ~20k to drop on a car......if i do upgrade, it will either be an 03/04 cobra, 06/07 350z, 98+ vette, or possibly an 03/04 lightning if i can get my hands on one........most of these will at that time be in the mid 20s hopefully.......which only leaves me about 7-8k to finance, which on good credit, would make my payments somewhere around 350 for 2 1/2 years.

so i dont know exactly what to do........save and by early next year start upgrading my car or save for a hella long time (more like 2 years) and just pick up a used or new car?

i am trying to get something fast and reliable, which is why i wanted to upgrade my car like that, sure i could swap an 8 in there, but this is cheaper, easier, and i get forged internals, which makes a car's engine damn near bulletproof.

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: i'm at a crossroad........would like input

Dude just get a high compression motor heads cam and intakes, maybe like at 11:1 then spray a 200 shot and you should be almost at 450 at the wheels i would think if not more.
are you an auto? in that case just get a beefed up 4r70w like corey has, with a high stall convertor.
Then take about 1000 bucks and build a bullet proff 8.8 with 31 spline strange axels and an eaton posi, weld the axel tubes too.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

or you could mod the v6 to high heaven and then sell it to someone that'll pay good $ for a well modded car and THEN buy another car
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

It's hard to sell a heavily modified car. Most poeple don't have the knowledge to take care of a HiPo car and weren't there when everything was monkied with. Personaly, I would not buy a heavily modded car because it will be ragged to death. You will be buying someone else's money pit. I wouldn't buy my own car from someone else, I wouldn't know all the in's and out's and what really shouldn't be doing what it is but that's not major at this moment but needs to be kept an eye on...

As far as fixing up your's or getting a new one...

Do you like your car? Seriously? If you do, just keep it. If the bad outweighs the good in your mind, get another car. That's all I know to tell you...
Old 05-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

IMO, keep the car and build a hot SPI stroker like you want.

You can get good NA power and add the blower later, keep CR under 9.5:1
if you want a blower. Like STEVE said, you can make good NA power but even
with lower CR if you do it right. Then a blower is still possible.

Get a big-bore setup like RPM sells, 60 over is doable on any V6 block I've seen.
The thing keeping HP from really skyrocketing is the stock upper intakes, so
consider an SSX upper or custom upper, self-built or perhaps there will be one
out soon from someone else.

I'm gonna bore out my stroker engine at least .100" over sized, I have 3 blocks
here that can take it! .100" is the max size using the MLS Ford gaskets available.
Gives a 4.4 liter engine using a stock 4.2 crank.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there are many ways you can go, you need to make sure you know which you want to take, not which you feel will be the cheapest/easiest. If you want to keep your car and build it go for it but realize the responsibility and the cost of doing it will end up being more than you had thought and the headaches will be more than you can imagine (ask brent)

you could get another car and perhaps make it faster for less~ but only do such a thing if thats what you want.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
there are many ways you can go, you need to make sure you know which you want to take, not which you feel will be the cheapest/easiest. If you want to keep your car and build it go for it but realize the responsibility and the cost of doing it will end up being more than you had thought and the headaches will be more than you can imagine (ask brent)...
SpecV makes great points, especially what I highlighted above.
1 example is using a cheap forged OEM (heavy) set of rods, the price for the set
can be lots less but then the balancing gets more costly and you end up spending
as much or more and have a heavier and weaker bottom end than using good
rods in the first place. Having a good working relationship with a good machinist
is extremely useful, they know the best ways of building a good shortblock. The
top end parts specifications are best left to a person like myself or an established
V6 shop (Delk, SSM, RPM, etc.) or buying a complete engine thru these.
It's possible to save money having the shortblock built locally but be prepared
to do some research and spend lots of time on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang