Shock & Strut ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Shock & Strut ?

ok so i have about 1.8" drop on springs from steeda, and i wish to be getting rid of them cause its a little too much for me, i want to go with eibach springs but im not sure what struts & shocks to go for
so my question would be
which strut shocks are best, i hear bilstein is good but pricey,
tokico are ok my friend has those in his crx
also koni, any good?
are bilstein really the best? and if so why? i am wanting to pay around 500 for a whole set front and rear.
thanks
98 MUSTANG V6 AUTO-MAC FENDER COLD AIR INTAKE-STEEDA 4 BOLT FULLY ADJ CASTER/CAMBER KIT-EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS-MAC DUAL EXHAUST KIT-S2K BODY KIT-17"COBRA RIMS-245 BF TA KDW (NT)FRONT-275 BF TA KDW (TT)REAR-BLACK WIDOW WING-BULLIT GAS CAP-DUAL PILAR POD-REVERSE GLOW GAUGES-COBRA R HOOD
mrvMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Shock & Strut ?

It all depends on money.
If it is not an issue, bilstein is the way to go.
But for us broke people the tokico blues are awesome, but with such a heavy drop make sure to get fox body struts.
Dude a 1.8 inch drop is what i have, i would not trade it for anything, i rarley scrape anywhere.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE
It all depends on money.
If it is not an issue, bilstein is the way to go.
But for us broke people the tokico blues are awesome, but with such a heavy drop make sure to get fox body struts.
Dude a 1.8 inch drop is what i have, i would not trade it for anything, i rarley scrape anywhere.
Actually the previous owner dropped and cut springs bringing it to 2" inches and i scrap everywhere hurts my s2k kit and hits my exhaust kit all the time, texas aint the best roads either, i literally have like 4 inch clearance by my exhaust, its a lil too much for me im looking for around 1.5 ish
98 MUSTANG V6 AUTO-MAC FENDER COLD AIR INTAKE-STEEDA 4 BOLT FULLY ADJ CASTER/CAMBER KIT-EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS-MAC DUAL EXHAUST KIT-S2K BODY KIT-17"COBRA RIMS-245 BF TA KDW (NT)FRONT-275 BF TA KDW (TT)REAR-BLACK WIDOW WING-BULLIT GAS CAP-DUAL PILAR POD-REVERSE GLOW GAUGES-COBRA R HOOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you go no lower than 1.5 inches mach 1 tokico shocks (200 ish for the set) works good, if lower you can get some tokico blues. If you want to spend some money you can always go bilstien.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I have the Bilsteins on my '90 and love them. I'd say they are the best and are worth the money.

I've never regretted the extra money spent one bit.

Look around and see if you can find a deal on them. I got mine much cheaper than what many of the Mustang specialty sites sell them for.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

most wont dump close to a grand in shocks/struts (3/4th of a grand > half way )
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I got mine for just over $500.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

stangsuspension.com sells them resonably. (bilstein)
But get some different springs first, i suggest H&R super sports, and get some urathane isolators then the tokico blues and you're set.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE
stangsuspension.com sells them resonably. (bilstein)
But get some different springs first, i suggest H&R super sports, and get some urathane isolators then the tokico blues and you're set.
i hear you and lots of people talking about tokico blues, can you show me em, all i seen is white and yello i think...
Old 06-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

o and bunt where did you get the shock/struts for around 500, does that include springs, i seen the 700ish dollar set shock/struts w/springs so that makes the springs about 250 ish
Old 06-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvMustang
o and bunt where did you get the shock/struts for around 500, does that include springs, i seen the 700ish dollar set shock/struts w/springs so that makes the springs about 250 ish
No, that wasn't with springs. Let me see if I can find where it was. It's been a couple years. I'll get back to you with it though.

EDIT: Here is a link. They also have a kit that includes springs (which might not be a bad idea, because they would be designed to work together) for around $750. Just click the link near the top of the page about the Professional Suspension Systems to look at those. Also, notice the difference between list price and actual price and Paypal me the difference...

EShocks.com

Scary stuff.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'd also like to add that I really don't see why more Mustang owners don't go for this setup. I know Bilsteins are normally overpriced, but with a little bit of shopping, they are priced very similarily to other brands.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
No, that wasn't with springs. Let me see if I can find where it was. It's been a couple years. I'll get back to you with it though.

EDIT: Here is a link. They also have a kit that includes springs (which might not be a bad idea, because they would be designed to work together) for around $750. Just click the link near the top of the page about the Professional Suspension Systems to look at those. Also, notice the difference between list price and actual price and Paypal me the difference...

EShocks.com
paypal you the difference? what do you mean? ALSO, whats the difference in feel and such, let me know everything, thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
paypal you the difference? what do you mean?
It was a feeble attempt at both a joke and free money...

Quote:
ALSO, whats the difference in feel and such, let me know everything, thanks
I don't actually have the kit w/ the springs. I have the H&R Super Sport Springs with the Bilstein shocks and struts on my '90.

I thought it was surprisingly not overly harsh. The H&Rs lowered my car a pretty good bit for a fox, and the ride is still not too bad. It's nowhere near as smooth as my '06 of course, but it's not bone-jarring like many other lowered foxes are.

I would dare say that the Bilsteins will be the best mix of performance and smooth ride that you will find, even if they do lean slightly more towards the performance side.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info, i will keep that in mind, also on the price for the bilstein set at RDmotorsport is $575 i dunno if it include springs or not...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for the info, i will keep that in mind, also on the price for the bilstein set at RDmotorsport is $575 i dunno if it include springs or not...
No it does not include the spings there.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

StangSuspension.com - tokico hi performance rear shock 94-04 - each ...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

StangSuspension.com - tokico hi performance front strut 94-04 - each ...
Old 06-10-2006, 03:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

so basically 100 more and u get the bilstein shocks, which are superior and more heavy duty... tough choice, blues are for cash saving, bilstein for performance in the long run and a tad bit more exp, anyone actually have the bilsteins and tell me how they feel, thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

just bought some eibach pro-kit springs maybe setup w/some used springs anyone got any for sale? any suggestions

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang