long tube headers - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Re: long tube headers

i dont have the money to buy an engine unfortunately. i just want long tube headers. anyone know someone whose found a way?
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
i dont have the money to buy an engine unfortunately. i just want long tube headers. anyone know someone whose found a way?
Check with companies that make 99+ long tube headers...they have to fit, at least the 99-00 ones. There's no way in hell that just 98 v6's can't have long tubes. I don't really see there being too much difference, just check and see if that'll work, I heard that 94-04 long tubes are all compatable, but I was skeptical.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

check here:

Mustang V6 Headers from StangMods.com

id assume they would be the same from 94-98 although they only go to 97?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Stop telling him 99-00. If he doesnt have air injection and he gets 99-00 hell have to plug those bungs. 01-04 are the same as 99-00 but no air injection bungs.

Info taken from 3.8 wiki : Get the 94-97,01-04 Long tubes and you will only have to bend/modify your EGR pipe. Or just delete if (if you dont have emissions)

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

well i dont know what the air injection things are. i dont know where to look for those. but whats the egr pipe? i just want long tube headers with an off road h pipe.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
well i dont know what the air injection things are. i dont know where to look for those. but whats the egr pipe? i just want long tube headers with an off road h pipe.
the egr tube is on the passenger side. it connects to the side of the header and back up to your intake manifold. i wouldnt worry about the air injection. i bought mine with them and just capped them off. check that site i listed.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

hey guys, i didnt wanna start a new thread for my question. What is the difference between the long tube and short tube headers. I just ordered a set of JBA shorty headers. Was this a bad idea?.. Also Whats the install like for these bad boys.
Stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumper View Post
hey guys, i didnt wanna start a new thread for my question. What is the difference between the long tube and short tube headers. I just ordered a set of JBA shorty headers. Was this a bad idea?.. Also Whats the install like for these bad boys.
your best bet is to return them as soon as they arrive. the short tube headers will do absolutely nothing for your car. no improved performance and no improved sound. install is a ***** if you are new to working on cars. and you will be very unhappy after a weekend of work. i had the bbk headers and kicked myself in the ***. ive switched to long tubes and an o/r h-pipe and it is way way way better. if you cant do longtubes, then at least get your money back from the shorties. i wish i could of. your car, your choice, and your money though.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Okay thanks, very dissapointing though.... Does ne one have ne thing good to say about them?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Seeing im here. I was talking to a guy at ford and he told me roush stopped making exhaust for v6. He recommended the Flowmaster Super44. Does ne one have ne experience?. I want a good sound..
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho

Have you checked into BBK headers? You should also add an H pipe it will make it sound much better. 99 Headers will not work the change in body and the engine change don't allow them to work on the 98 I checked.
racefan966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Seeing im here. I was talking to a guy at ford and he told me roush stopped making exhaust for v6. He recommended the Flowmaster Super44. Does ne one have ne experience?. I want a good sound..
longtubes, o/r h, and flow 40's are the only way to go on v6's. i highly recommend getting rid of the shorties. Seeing as I went from stock manifolds to shorties to longtubes, Im not just talking out of my ***. So no, there is nothing good to say about the shorties.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

They give you a few HP (not much) there usualy emmisions legal, and great if you have a cracked exhaust manifold you need to replace. There just as much of a pain to install as longtubes, and unless you need to replace your header its not worth it.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninethourpm View Post
They give you a few HP (not much) there usualy emmisions legal, and great if you have a cracked exhaust manifold you need to replace. There just as much of a pain to install as longtubes, and unless you need to replace your header its not worth it.
on a stock engine, they wont give you any hp. nor with just bolt-ons. but at least you agree they arent worth it.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

depends on your year i guess. I had the log style header stock and after putting shortys on there was a slight improvment in acceleration.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
depends on your year i guess. I had the log style header stock and after putting shortys on there was a slight improvment in acceleration.
its in your head to be honest. i find that with most of the stuff i did to mine. gears, full exhaust, and the tune were the only things i felt. i didnt feel the pulley, cai, shorties, or catback at all by them selves.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

and people have done dyno runs showing slight improvments on pulleys, catbacks and CAIs. 5-10 hp/tq not nearly what manifactures claim but there was improvment. you cant put on a simple bolt on and expect it to feel like a cobra.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and people have done dyno runs showing slight improvments on pulleys, catbacks and CAIs. 5-10 hp/tq not nearly what manifactures claim but there was improvment. you cant put on a simple bolt on and expect it to feel like a cobra.
well id love to see a dyno for shorty headers. i felt nothing. and with long tubes and an o/r h it was only minimal gains on the dyno. im not expecting it to be like a cobra, but if i cant feel any difference whatsoever then it isnt worth the money.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

i havent seen a dyno run for shortys YET. But Pulleys have shown 10hp/tq increase at the wheels , CAIs have shown around 5, and catbacks 5-10. and you said you didnt feel those eaither.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i havent seen a dyno run for shortys YET. But Pulleys have shown 10hp/tq increase at the wheels , CAIs have shown around 5, and catbacks 5-10. and you said you didnt feel those eaither.
i dynoed a pulley at 8rwhp and felt a slight slight change. shorties nothing
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

ok did you originaly have the log manifold or the one that looked more like a header?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Okay thanks guys, I have the headers on their way so im gonna install them, im also going tru duals with the flow 40's.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay thanks guys, I have the headers on their way so im gonna install them, im also going tru duals with the flow 40's.
i guess there is only so much you can do.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok did you originaly have the log manifold or the one that looked more like a header?
yes i had the logs.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Well if ur going to say something like that why not explain?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Headers is the question. Shorties or long tube which way to go? Well that all depends on what your plans are. If you keep shorties you keep torq on the lower end if you go long tube you loose a bit lower end torq and gain a little on the upper end so again it depends on you plans for the car. Either way it will sound good.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan966 View Post
Headers is the question. Shorties or long tube which way to go? Well that all depends on what your plans are. If you keep shorties you keep torq on the lower end if you go long tube you loose a bit lower end torq and gain a little on the upper end so again it depends on you plans for the car. Either way it will sound good.
no it will sound no different with the damn shorties. and your dumb if you dont know what im talking about. save yourself the money and hassle and return the shorties. just because they may look pretty and it sounds cool to say you have headers on your car you are better off without them.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: long tube headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
no it will sound no different with the damn shorties. and your dumb if you dont know what im talking about. save yourself the money and hassle and return the shorties. just because they may look pretty and it sounds cool to say you have headers on your car you are better off without them.
I must ask why the attack? I have been a mechanic for many year and I also race circle track, road race and drag not with the same car. You don't know what is under the hood of my car so don't tell me I am dumb and don't know what I am talking about and that I waisted my money. There are many things to keep in mind when building an exhaust system you can go to large and take away torq and power or you can go to small and gain nothing. I only gave another thought to keep in mind, it all depends on the plans for car. I am surprised that instead of giving your opinion that go right to attack me, were did I attack you? I am sorry if some how I offended you, that was not my intent at all. Hope you have a geat day tigerfan
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I must ask why the attack? I have been a mechanic for many year and I also race circle track, road race and drag not with the same car. You don't know what is under the hood of my car so don't tell me I am dumb and don't know what I am talking about and that I waisted my money. There are many things to keep in mind when building an exhaust system you can go to large and take away torq and power or you can go to small and gain nothing. I only gave another thought to keep in mind, it all depends on the plans for car. I am surprised that instead of giving your opinion that go right to attack me, were did I attack you? I am sorry if some how I offended you, that was not my intent at all. Hope you have a geat day tigerfan
wasnt talking to you. talking to the other guy who was asking me to explain myself. sorry for the mix up. i wasnt aiming to attack you. and if you have a higly modified car then yes the shorties will do something. not if it goes on an otherwise stock car like he has. please understand that.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Yes tigerfan you are correct it will need to be highly modified and the gain would be small. I thought it was directed at me my bad. So what mods do you have at this point?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes tigerfan you are correct it will need to be highly modified and the gain would be small. I thought it was directed at me my bad. So what mods do you have at this point?

pulley, lt's, o/r h, flows, k&n cai, control arms, sct livewire with a dyno tune. i had 4.10s and a posi but went back to stock. i had h/c/i in my hands and sold them b/c my dad didnt feel it was a smart idea at the time. i also had a vortech blower but had to sell it from a wreck and a ticket that i didnt want to go against my insurance. i have since saved my money and will be the proud owner of a shelby in another year or so. just need to graduate first and get my degree.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

So what if im dumb, thats why im on here asking questions.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Alright everyone throwing **** at each other chill, or I'll close this ***** down. Everyone voice their opinions regarding shorty headers or longtube headers politely, and if there are disagreements, address them with some respect. We don't want new members thinking the site is full of dicks that won't help someone without insulting them. Christ, you're gonna scare racefan966 away, he just joined 2 days ago and got attacked for no reason, lol.

Okay, everyone kiss and make up and continue with the discussion regarding shorty/long tube headers.

Thank you, that is all

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
We don't want new members thinking the site is full of dicks that won't help someone without insulting them.
well their bound to find out soon or later

Old 04-24-2010, 02:47 AM   #70
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Did anyone also mention pacesett sells long tubes for our cars:

2001-2004 Mustang V6 Pacesetter Long Tube Headers - Black - EGR Fitting Only

And I think headman makes them but i can't find the link I used to have.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang