long tube headers - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Re: long tube headers

Just one thing to keep in mind. I found out that spiral wound wires that do not offer EMI (Electo Magnetic Interference) will mess the the cam sensor below the coil pack. I will not mention the brand that messed me up as it is a good brand but the MSD spiral core with surpression wrap works great. You always see the RFI wires but EMI is also needed. I know off the subject of header but off the subject of HP's. I agree with Sonic lets keep is respectfull as not everyone is a mechanic or even has a lot knowledge of cars we all had to start somewhere right?
racefan966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
so i should just get the shorty headers? what are the best kind to get? and how much of a power difference would i be losing since i would be going with the shortys over the long tubes?
lemme help you out. long tubes will be fine, my car is probably one of the lowest mustangs here with a 3" drop all the way around. i have had long tubes and they cleared fine everywhere i've been, and that is pretty much the southeastern region of the u.s. i've only scraped once and that was because there was no parking left @ my college so i tried to slowly creep up on a curb to park in the grass. and that curb was approx. 6" tall and my car a 6 1/2" (measuring @ my chin spoiler) of clearance. if it'll make u fell better, my buddy's evo has a 1/2 inch of clearance on his carbon fiber chin spoiler. lol

now for the power part: not much difference. lt's give u more lower end torque whereas shorties don't. lt's sound better in my opinion.

mac and bbk make great headers and look on americanmuscle.com or
v6mustangstuff.com they should have what you are looking for.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_K View Post
lemme help you out. long tubes will be fine, my car is probably one of the lowest mustangs here with a 3" drop all the way around. i have had long tubes and they cleared fine everywhere i've been, and that is pretty much the southeastern region of the u.s. i've only scraped once and that was because there was no parking left @ my college so i tried to slowly creep up on a curb to park in the grass. and that curb was approx. 6" tall and my car a 6 1/2" (measuring @ my chin spoiler) of clearance. if it'll make u fell better, my buddy's evo has a 1/2 inch of clearance on his carbon fiber chin spoiler. lol

now for the power part: not much difference. lt's give u more lower end torque whereas shorties don't. lt's sound better in my opinion.

mac and bbk make great headers and look on americanmuscle.com or
v6mustangstuff.com they should have what you are looking for.
lt's dont give more low end torque. they take away from it. when i had shorties and the rest of the bolt-ons and gears, my car would just spin into second. with the long tubes, i no longer spun the tires but the car pulled a hell of a lot harder on the top end. lt's also offer way more hp when you go with a blower setup.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Alright everyone throwing **** at each other chill, or I'll close this ***** down. Everyone voice their opinions regarding shorty headers or longtube headers politely, and if there are disagreements, address them with some respect. We don't want new members thinking the site is full of dicks that won't help someone without insulting them. Christ, you're gonna scare racefan966 away, he just joined 2 days ago and got attacked for no reason, lol.

Okay, everyone kiss and make up and continue with the discussion regarding shorty/long tube headers.

Thank you, that is all
i wasnt trying to argue with anyone. i simply made the statement that he was dumb if i had to explain myself again and again. he asked what i was talking about and to explain why shorties were bad. i just made several posts on why. it had nothing to do with his knowledge on cars. and no i wasnt attacking racefan966, it was a misunderstanding as i realize he is a mechanic and should have a lot more knowledge on cars than most.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

the only reason i am being a dick on the subject is that i went through all three styles: stock logs, shorties, and long tubes. back to back to back. i can say from personal experience that shorties dont do anything on a stock, mild bolt-on car. the longtubes can be felt on an otherwise stock car for sure. and they definately give a better sound whereas the shorties do not change it at all. if you are gonna go through all the hassle of putting on headers, why not do it right and save some money and aggravation? i wish someone had told me not to get the shorties in the first place. it is all about learning and experience and i can tell you from both, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE SHORTIES, unless you really have to. I think this thread should be locked anyway as there are several topics on this and he has obviously already made up his mind.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
lt's dont give more low end torque. they take away from it. when i had shorties and the rest of the bolt-ons and gears, my car would just spin into second. with the long tubes, i no longer spun the tires but the car pulled a hell of a lot harder on the top end. lt's also offer way more hp when you go with a blower setup.
how sure are u? cuz me and the pops have had a lot of cars with lt's and the lt's always shifted the torque more on the lower end. i've had shorties and long tubes same with my dad and we've gotten those results.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_K View Post
how sure are u? cuz me and the pops have had a lot of cars with lt's and the lt's always shifted the torque more on the lower end. i've had shorties and long tubes same with my dad and we've gotten those results.
im pretty damn sure. i can tell you my car is basically dead now that i took out the gears on the low end. like worse than without the gears and just the shorties. i thought it was a given that lt's are more for top end hp and shorties for low end torque?

think of it another way. our cars need a certain amount of back pressure in the exhaust. without that we lose low end torque. lt's take away some of that back pressure.

but i had gears, tune, and catback with the shorties. my car pulled but would spin the tires at 40mph or so. i changed to lt's and o/r h and my car kept pulling hard to 60mph. and when i took it on the interstate it pulled a whole lot harder when trying to merge and such. so yea im sure.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
im pretty damn sure. i can tell you my car is basically dead now that i took out the gears on the low end. like worse than without the gears and just the shorties. i thought it was a given that lt's are more for top end hp and shorties for low end torque?

think of it another way. our cars need a certain amount of back pressure in the exhaust. without that we lose low end torque. lt's take away some of that back pressure.

but i had gears, tune, and catback with the shorties. my car pulled but would spin the tires at 40mph or so. i changed to lt's and o/r h and my car kept pulling hard to 60mph. and when i took it on the interstate it pulled a whole lot harder when trying to merge and such. so yea im sure.
hmm interesting. i've always heard it the other way and not just from my dad. but its whatever. obviously we got different results from it. so its all good. lol

here's another forums about the topic:
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190677

Old 04-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Sonic probably should just close this thread theres nothing more to be learned.

Shortys Pros: usualy emissions legal, less likely to crack than stock
Cons: PITA to install, small to no gain(depending who you ask)

LT Pros: less likely to crack then stock, most gain (over stock, shorty,LT)
Cons: Not legal for emissions (esp california, most states let you go with high flow cat) PITA to install.

Bottom line if you live in cali or another emission strict state go with shortys or leave it stock. Otherwise Long tubes are better. Also its your car do what you want. Dont let someone calling you stupid because they or their dad doesnt think its a good idea stop you.

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

I got the same results as big K MORE low end torque

Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninethourpm View Post
I got the same results as big K MORE low end torque
so maybe its all cause of the mid pipe. ive always thought lt's were strictly for top end. either way doesnt matter. i think its about time for this thread to be closed.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so maybe its all cause of the mid pipe. ive always thought lt's were strictly for top end. .
So you put LTs on the stock midpipe? Please explain how in the world you managed that!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninethourpm View Post
So you put LTs on the stock midpipe? Please explain how in the world you managed that!!!
What? Where in my post did I say that? I put the o/r h with the lt's.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

btw Ive been looking around at other posts on the subject and it seems to vary a lot. Some see more torque/less torque and some see more hp with the longtubes. I guess it really just depends on the headers and the car.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Well with that being said (and a camaroZ28 link on the page) I think I'll close this thread.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang