long tube headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
long tube headers

so i want to get some long tube headers for my v6 but i dont know what to get. what are the best ones and what else would i need? i already have a dual exhaust so would i only need the headers? and could i just throw them on there without any modifications?
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: long tube headers

MAC lt's are pretty beast. I have them. Make sure you get the ceramic ones or it'd be worthless to spend the 300 to get'em.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I was looking at your mod list and seeing that you are lowered, I would advise not doing LT headers unless you want to keep replacing them. You are going to scrap a lot unless you are really careful. LT's go about 1/2 an inch lower than your cats, this may not seem a lot but it is considering that is a 1/3 of what most people lower in the front(1.5"). plus you dont really benefit that much HP/TQ with how much you invest, and the exhaust sound is not changed much. I would just suggest another mod so you are not bummed 3 months down the road when those nice LT's are all dented and banged up from scrapping.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

so should i get shortys? or is there any way i could make it so the LTs dont have anything happen to them? and whats the difference between the ceramic and not ceramic?
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Road Trip!

You can't get around the longtubes hanging down underneath, it's just the way the v6's are made. Ceramic coated headers last a little longer than regular stainless in that they don't rust as easy and they can take the higher temperatures better.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA View Post
I was looking at your mod list and seeing that you are lowered, I would advise not doing LT headers unless you want to keep replacing them. You are going to scrap a lot unless you are really careful. LT's go about 1/2 an inch lower than your cats, this may not seem a lot but it is considering that is a 1/3 of what most people lower in the front(1.5"). plus you dont really benefit that much HP/TQ with how much you invest, and the exhaust sound is not changed much. I would just suggest another mod so you are not bummed 3 months down the road when those nice LT's are all dented and banged up from scrapping.
Its nowhere near as bad as you make it seem. My long tubes came off my car after two and a half years and while they had a few scratches they were in great shape. One of my close friends used to own a 98 z28 with the 1gen slp headers and his car was on coil overs dropped where we couldn't slide a soda can under his car and his headers survived. Its not a big deal having long tubes unless you drive like an idiot 90% of the time your in the car, exhaust note changes a considerable amount, and in 3 months time they will still be fine.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

alright so i should go with long tube headers? where should i get them from? and what else do i have to get with them? an h pipe?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
alright so i should go with long tube headers? where should i get them from? and what else do i have to get with them? an h pipe?
You can go with mac or pace setter, the long tube h pipe seems to be a bit hard to find, any decent exhaust shop can fabricate you something.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i want to be able to find something that i can do everything myself. all the exhaust shops around me are way too expensive. so it would be best to find something i can do.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Road Trip!

MAC 94-04 Polished LT Headers H-Pipe & SS Cat Back V6 : eBay Motors (item 260121551108 end time May-07-10 07:42:01 PDT)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

figures that every set that i find online are ones that they dont have for my year of the car. a 98 mustang v6. i cant find any online for my car. so if anyone can help me out that would be great because i really want some. if i cant find any then i will probably just get shortys. so someone help me.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I am not exaggerating nor driving like a teenager. I am talking from experience I have the sportline springs which would put my cats where his LT's would be and my cats are busted and dented. I have popped my header off right before the cat also just from pulling into a steep wal-mart parking lot entrance. And no i was not driving ridiculous I was creeping over every speed bump and entrance.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

so i should just get the shorty headers? what are the best kind to get? and how much of a power difference would i be losing since i would be going with the shortys over the long tubes?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Not really that much power difference, just sound difference. BBK has a good set of shorties, but make sure to get ceramic.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
so i should just get the shorty headers? what are the best kind to get? and how much of a power difference would i be losing since i would be going with the shortys over the long tubes?
Its your car so you do what you feel is comfortable for your style of driving and what you want for your car. I am just giving friendly advice as to what might happen and that is what these forums are for. Idk man if you think you can drive careful and watch out for stuff then get them but they will get scraped and they will get damaged that is a given.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Road Trip!

I've got coil overs and my car has been on the ground and I've never had a problem with denting or destroying my long tubes. And there are SEVERAL HUNDRED mustang owners out who do the same thing. I know of lowered GT's that run under-k turbo setups and don't have problems.

Shorties are a waste of money, so if you go that route just keep your stock headers.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

yeah shorties are a waste, only get at most 1-2 rwhp so not worth the 300 to get them.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I say if you scrape your LTs that will be the least of your problems. Because your car would be hung up (as least with mine)

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

alright so then im gonna find some long tubes. but im still having troubles finding some for my 98. it seems like no where has them for a 98. every year except it. and its really frustrating. so if anyone can find some for a 98 with a h pipe set. that would be great.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

That's odd that the companies don't include 98. I looked on MAC's site and they have the longtubes for 94-97. I would call and ask if the 94-97 long tubes will fit the 98's. The nice thing about MAC is that they offer the long tubes and fitting h-pipe.

They will deepen the tone of the exhaust and add a couple hp's.
As said, shorties aren't worth the cost, might as well keep the stockers.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

i will give them a call and find out if they have them. cause if they dont then i dont know what im supposed to do because i want to have headers. i want my car to sound better.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
Road Trip!

I would def. call them. Of course, I don't see what the big huge difference is between 99-00 and 01-04 when it comes to headers.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
I would def. call them. Of course, I don't see what the big huge difference is between 99-00 and 01-04 when it comes to headers.
99-2k Air injection bungs. 01-04 No Air injection bungs.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

well mines a 98 so i dont have to worry about that stuff being different. unless the 99 is different from the 98 which im guessing its the same. along with a 97. so then any headers from mac i would think should work. but ill call just to make sure.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #25

so basically if you want to put longtubes on your car you better forget about lowering it at all right?
JTATE300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
Road Trip!

If you own a 98 buy the 99+ long tubes

If you want to lower your car with long tubes, go right ahead.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

If 98 doesnt have air injection then i would suggest getting 01-04 LTs since 99-00 have are the same as 01-04 but have bungs added for
AIR injection.

On lowering: my LTs sit no lower than the stock cats did, i have scaped the cats a few times on one of the parking lot enterences where i work but ive also scraped the subframe on it too. Maybe older MAC LTs hung lower but the ones i put on this week are no lower than the cats.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #28

well you just made my decission easier...i come from a mini truck background, im used to pounding the pavement so i know what the feeling is like! lol but in this case it can be costly but i know how to watch for those nasty parts in the road!
JTATE300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

so i should just get the 99+ long tubes and then the 99+ off road h pipe from mac and they should work? but even if the headers are lower im gonnabe careful. i already have to be careful with the lowering kit so its not much harder to be a little more careful
Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Yep, those will work. Do check to see if you have air injection though, because if you don't, you don't need the 99-00.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

how do i check that?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

youll have a smog pump behind the front bumper with a hose coming to something that looks alot like your EGR valve then it spits into two metal tubes going to the front of both manifolds. ill post a picture later if you like.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

yea that picture would be helpful. thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

i emailed mac and they told me mac and any other exhaust company dont make the long tubes for my car.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Wow, that's ****ty. If I'm not mistaken, Zebs has an engine you could probably snatch off of him if you really want LT's that bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang