Vibrating Noise Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Vibrating Noise Problem

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum. My name is Danny and I have two mustangs. A '66 V6 and a '00 V6. '66 is pretty much stock with a rebuilt engine and transmission. '00 has 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with H-pipe and Flowmaster 40's.

I have been noticing a strange sound from my car and it has been doing it for a while now. When I am at a light or stopped, I can hear a rattling/vibrating noise coming from what sounds like the exhaust pipes rattling against the bumper (that is what the noise sounds like to me). At the beginning, I thought it was the pipes just rattling, but when I checked them the other day (it was making the noise while in Park), I checked and the pipes were not rattling at all. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere around the fuel tank but I can't seem to narrow it down. The higher my car idles or when I have the AC on, the noise starts and it has been getting a little louder the last couple of weeks.

It is getting quite annoying and I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what could be causing this noise since I now know that it isn't the exhaust pipes rattling.
Dan0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Vibrating Noise Problem

Are you 100% positive the exhaust isn't rattling? Maybe not the tailpipes, but perhaps the pipes against the underbody or axle where it curves up over the axles?

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #3

I will check that area today when it starts again to see if maybe that could be the problem....seems to start when the engine is warmed up and then never goes away.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

It sounds exactly like the pipes hitting someting. Are your hangers all hooked up and everything correctly? What youre describing is exactly what happens with exhaust rattle.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #5

I came home last night and the noise started again. I checked the underside with a flashnight and all hangers were fine and the noise sounded more centralized at the tailpipes. Funny thing is that the tailpipes were not hitting something yet when I pressed in the hanger supporting the tailpipes, the noise stopped.

Hanger seems fine and tight on both sides and yet the rattling continues. Pressing the hanger in or pulling it towards the sides stops the noise, but I am unsure of where the noise is actually coming from. I am just assuming that the hangers are just not tight enough causing something around the tailpipe to rattle (but rattling against what, I do not know.). Is there an easy fix to make the hangers tighter without having to take it to a shop and have them rewelding the hangers?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang