Hmm...What to do? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Hmm...What to do?

I have a 2002 silver v6 mustang. Id like to keep it as my DD for as long as possible, but Im just not happy power wise where it sits. Also, I have a sort of attachment to it as its my first car and I do not want to sell it. As it is, I dont think I could sell it for very much anyways, maybe $2000 or so? It has some dents on the driver side door(my fault) and small scratches in other spots(not my fault). Id like to get the door panel fixed, but I figure it'll cost about $500 and is not worth it to me if Im gonna sell it. So Im looking at a few options as of now:

5.0 swap with full bolt-ons
4.6 2v swap with trickflow heads
add a procharger 9psi with windstar intake

now i would rather keep everything under $5000 including fixing the door and other things. this is because i want to get a shelby once i graduate in a couple years. i think i would be happy with 300rwhp and any of the above combo's would give me that. I finally have the car running good again with new plugs and a fixed header leak. The tranny is good and rear end is definately good so I dont want to touch those. What do you guys think I should do? And dont say buy a gt or get out of my dream world of getting a shelby. I hear that enough from my dad.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG
Re: Hmm...What to do?

the first two would get you that v8 sound if you just absolutely need that... the last option is what I would go with.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

last option is good. gt's are slow!!!!!!

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Option # 3 !! Unless you have a donor car for the V8 swap I won't go that way

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

of course thats the reply i would get in the v6 forum. lol. anyways, is 300rwhp still safe? ive got about 70000 miles on the car now. ive been told i still wont be in the 13's. i dont see how thats possible since stock gt's can run that. and i think i could deal with the sound seeing as id still have a badass v8 for my other car. it just doesnt seem worth it for me to sell my car for a gt seeing as i wont get anything back for mine and i love the look of my car minus the dents.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah the v8 swap is going to be costly because you basically need a donor car for it to be right. Those engines in stock form aren't the greatest, but if you planned on modding them seriously you'll make better power than with a procharger on the v6.

But if you think you'd keep the v8 engines stock because you're going to buy a shelby in a couple years, then I'd say go for the procharger. It'd be one sweet v6 killing stock and lightly modded 99-04 GT's for around 5k. Do keep in mind you'll still sound like a zipper above 3k

How many miles are on the engine right now? Just wondering if you're going to run 9psi on stock internals. You'll also want to consider upgrading the rearend for FI as well...might as well pick up an 8.8" rear...cost the same or less as building the 7.5".

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
of course thats the reply i would get in the v6 forum. lol. anyways, is 300rwhp still safe? ive got about 70000 miles on the car now. ive been told i still wont be in the 13's. i dont see how thats possible since stock gt's can run that. and i think i could deal with the sound seeing as id still have a badass v8 for my other car. it just doesnt seem worth it for me to sell my car for a gt seeing as i wont get anything back for mine and i love the look of my car minus the dents.
Well, that answers my last question I must have posted after you and the page didn't refresh with your post.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Well, that answers my last question I must have posted after you and the page didn't refresh with your post.
Well i wouldnt be bringing it to the track or launching it or getting on it at every stop light. Although if i came across one, Id probably go ahead and get it.

Ive heard 9psi is very safe. Id probably look into a boost cooler as well. Id rather have something safe than all out power.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

You'd be cheaper just to do the M112 swap. You can purchase all your parts for 1/5th of the cost of a procharger. Also, you don't have to worry about intercooling it as the "heaton" doesn't make as much heat on our little 3.8's as it does the massive 4v 4.6. 9-10 psi is safe on a stock engine, but I wouldn't do more than 10. If you want to push out 12 and above, I'd suggest getting some forged internals from www.supersixmotorsports.com.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
You'd be cheaper just to do the M112 swap. You can purchase all your parts for 1/5th of the cost of a procharger. Also, you don't have to worry about intercooling it as the "heaton" doesn't make as much heat on our little 3.8's as it does the massive 4v 4.6. 9-10 psi is safe on a stock engine, but I wouldn't do more than 10. If you want to push out 12 and above, I'd suggest getting some forged internals from Super Six Motorsports.
Cheaper in the short run maybe, but its only a matter of time before the tranny, rear, and probably engine goes as well. the m112 won't produce near the same power safely as the procharger and im not looking for the instant boost and torque to tear up my car. and i definately dont wanna go into the engine with forged internals as this is my dd and im looking to get a shelby asap. the m112 still produces way much more heat than is needed and there isnt anyway to change that on the 6. I do love the sound of it though and that almost made me install one a year ago.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

True, and it is your ride. Better be saving your pennies if you want a Shelby, haha.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
True, and it is your ride. Better be saving your pennies if you want a Shelby, haha.
Yea thats why I dont wanna spend too much. Already got a pretty nice savings for the shelby. and im starting an internship this summer so hopefully the big bucks will start to flow. Probably wont be brand new, but i feel if i buy a new gt that ill sink all kinds of money into that and be even further away from a shelby.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea thats why I dont wanna spend too much. Already got a pretty nice savings for the shelby. and im starting an internship this summer so hopefully the big bucks will start to flow. Probably wont be brand new, but i feel if i buy a new gt that ill sink all kinds of money into that and be even further away from a shelby.
Mustang of all sorts, shelbys included have all declined in prices. You should be able to pick a nice one up for a good price. I've seen 05 GT500's for under under 30k in good shape.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'd say leave alone and wait for the Shelby

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
Well a supercharger wouldnt get in the way of that. If it were up to me, Id put the down payment for the shelby right now and pick her up, but still under parents roof and there rules. And im loving the drop in the price for shelbys. i guess im leaning to the 07-09 style anyways as i hate the rear of the new ones and dont see the point of an aluminum block.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
^+1 Save the money for a down payment. Your car wont go down too much in value in the next 3-4 years plan on about 10% per 1.5 years. Say it's worth 5000 grand now so in 3yrs it would be worth around 4grand. The margin of error there is probably about 2.5% either way.

Key factors that will determine trade regardless of year/miles

Body Condition compared to age of other Mustangs/ like vehicles.
Demand on wholesale mkt
Demand on Retail mkt
Mechanical issues oil & transmission mostly..
They do visually ck fluids.
Previous accident damage
-------------------------------------------
Minor <$500 : Tire/brake-ABS/ Alignment condition-- They only ck to make sure it's not horribly out. ( You have to make a left, to take a right)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Interior-- major flaws, dash (coming loose falling apart, etc), cigarette burns/marks, strong odor of any kind, seat condition ( Holes, tears, snags), Headliner, & Audio System
Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
^+1 Save the money for a down payment. Your car wont go down too much in value in the next 3-4 years plan on about 10% per 1.5 years. Say it's worth 5000 grand now so in 3yrs it would be worth around 4grand. The margin of error there is probably about 2.5% either way.

Key factors that will determine trade regardless of year/miles

Body Condition compared to age of other Mustangs/ like vehicles.
Demand on wholesale mkt
Demand on Retail mkt
Mechanical issues oil & transmission mostly..
They do visually ck fluids.
Previous accident damage
-------------------------------------------
Minor <$500 : Tire/brake-ABS/ Alignment condition-- They only ck to make sure it's not horribly out. ( You have to make a left, to take a right)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Interior-- major flaws, dash (coming loose falling apart, etc), cigarette burns/marks, strong odor of any kind, seat condition ( Holes, tears, snags), Headliner, & Audio System
well the interior is excellent. tranny and rear end nothing wrong and a small leak from the front seal by the crank pulley. my only problem is all the mods and dented driver side door. i cant see getting more than 3000 for it in any case. so id keep it as a dd regardless.

on a side note, is it better to put money up front for a new car or just do monthly payments? i wanted to put down in the 10000-15000 range to knock down monthly payments some. that 600+ has to be a killer each month on top of insurance.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Mustang of all sorts, shelbys included have all declined in prices. You should be able to pick a nice one up for a good price. I've seen 05 GT500's for under under 30k in good shape.
Wow, those are some damn rare cars. Next time you see an ad for one, let me know....under 30k for that is a steal.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Wow, those are some damn rare cars. Next time you see an ad for one, let me know....under 30k for that is a steal.
lol
Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
These were on general sites like autotrader and craigslist:

This one went back up in price, it was $30995 before
2007 Ford MUSTANG SHELBY GT500

This one's questionable, if it is real, the tard put in a saleen charger
2005 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE SHELBY GT500 TRIBUTE

Cars for Sale: 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Coupe in Pelham, NY 10709: Coupe Details - 277789899 - AutoTrader.com Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=1146473&showZipError=n&make=FORD&keywords_display=GT500&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=0&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=53934&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=35000&cardist=844&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Old 04-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #21
A.K.A. Baby-D!

if you really want to get a shelby, by all means i would wait...
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
These were on general sites like autotrader and craigslist:

This one went back up in price, it was $30995 before
2007 Ford MUSTANG SHELBY GT500

This one's questionable, if it is real, the tard put in a saleen charger
2005 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE SHELBY GT500 TRIBUTE

Cars for Sale: 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Coupe in Pelham, NY 10709: Coupe Details - 277789899 - AutoTrader.com Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=1146473&showZipError=n&make=FORD&keywords_display=GT500&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=0&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=53934&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=35000&cardist=844&standard=false&rdpage=thumb
i think he is referring to the fact that they didnt make shelbys till 07 and u said 05
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yah, I just noticed I said 05...whoops, shows how much I paid attention to those cars, lol. I'd definitely say the 05 with the saleen is a bull**** thing then.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yah, I just noticed I said 05...whoops, shows how much I paid attention to those cars, lol. I'd definitely say the 05 with the saleen is a bull**** thing then.
lol. i guess so then. but youre right. they are getting into the low 30's now. i just dont know what to get. i like the body style of the 07-09, but dont like the irs. the 10+ rear end is ugly, but i like the solid axle and the fact that they r better on the interstate. and im not so sure about the aluminum block either
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The gt500s have solid Axels FYI.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The gt500s have solid Axels FYI.
the 07-09 shelbys have the irs and the 10+ ones have the solid axle. or so i thought
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
the 07-09 shelbys have the irs and the 10+ ones have the solid axle. or so i thought
Negative. They bailed on the IRS for the gt500 and took the easy way out after spending the money and time to design an IRS for 2 years.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Negative. They bailed on the IRS for the gt500 and took the easy way out after spending the money and time to design an IRS for 2 years.
hmm. i dont know why i thought they did. one of the magazines on the 10 shelby made it sound like it was a new change. oh well i retract my previous statement.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hmm. i dont know why i thought they did. one of the magazines on the 10 shelby made it sound like it was a new change. oh well i retract my previous statement.
Ford and SVT claimed the IRS would cost too much and raise the price tag up to where the car would start to be undesirable...ha, if someone's willing to pay +55k for it when it comes out, I'm sure they won't mind another 3-5k for the IRS, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang