stupid question...... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #1

stupid question......

im new to the v6 mustang thing and i was checking out some youtube videos of your exhaust. got an idea of what id like to do but theres just one question....are you guys still using converters? mines gonna be a daily driver so id like to stay somewhat legal and by leaving converters will that take away from the sound? thanks guys let me know what you think! by the way i have a 2001 mustang 3.8!
JTATE300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: stupid question......

Some do some dont. They usualy list rather they do or not in youtube. if it says Off Road then there are no cats. Just what video are you refering to?

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #3

the guy with the black procharged v6 from ohio...his plate says not a v8...that thing sounds nasty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

If they dont check emissions where you live, I would definately go no cats. I have mac lt's, mac o/r h, and flowmaster catback. It sounds real good cruising, almost just like an 8 until i get on it. But cats cost more and it wont be as loud so if you can avoid them.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #5

id love to put long tubes on mine but i wanna lower mine, im afriad they will drag
Old 04-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTATE300 View Post
id love to put long tubes on mine but i wanna lower mine, im afriad they will drag
Yea they sit very low. I took the isos off my stock springs and that makes me scrape sometimes. Just dont get shorty headers, they are a complete waste of money and wont change the sound at all. I say o/r h or x and flows. How much of a drop r u looking to do?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #7

i was looking at the eibach kit says it will drop 1.5 inches? id like to be there or the 2 range
Old 04-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

i got the eibach kit. i love it.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I have the eibach prokit and love it. I occasionally scrape on speed bumps... and am very tempted to look into long tubes. Just a warning on the 6... nothing you do will make it sound like a v8 above 2500 rpm.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

too bad my v6 is louder than my friends GT. his sound is nothing compared to mine. he likes the sound of mine better than his.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
too bad my v6 is louder than my friends GT. his sound is nothing compared to mine. he likes the sound of mine better than his.
loud doesn't mean better

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
loud doesn't mean better
this is true.....DEEPNESS IS they key.......i have heard loud honda dont mean they sound good lol! Mac Long tube headers, Mac off road H pipe, flowmasters. 2.5 tips will get you close as can be to a V8...i know i have spent thousands (and i dont mean 2 thousand) on different exhaust set up and this is the best....what i listed about is what i got and i have had several v8 4.6 and 5.0 guys say it sounds NICEEE.........for a v6
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
the guy with the black procharged v6 from ohio...his plate says not a v8...that thing sounds nasty!
Yah I've heard that video too. That guy is running an off road h-pipe, longtubes, and dual flowmaster 40's. I think he has an aggressive cam as well to get that lope at idle.

I've come to the conclusion that is the best setup for the 3.8's, and even above 2500rpms its going to get buzzy and drony...just the way of the sixer.
You could do the same setup with a catted h-pipe to stay emissions legal.
Plus it wouldn't be as loud and raspy higher up.

Also, I agree with loud not always being better...in the v6's case anyways. A more quiet, mellow and crisp sounding v6 is the best sounding v6 imo. That's why I bought the pypes street pros...they are a straight thru design, but don't drone and get too loud wot. I also don't have the x-pipe so that helps avoid raspiness and a high pitched tone.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

MACs catback sounds pretty damn good expecialy with LTs and catted H

\

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Run cats on a V6. I had an O/R X on my 02 and it sounded very similar to a dying cat screaming for mercy...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

i didnt mean crazy loud as a bad loud. i meant it as just loud for a v6 and like you guys are saying, as close to a v8 as you can get. im gonna get my long tubes soon so it sounds deeper too.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Run cats on a V6. I had an O/R X on my 02 and it sounded very similar to a dying cat screaming for mercy...
Thats about right lol I had straight pipes before and i think the catted H sounds even better.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah I've heard that video too. That guy is running an off road h-pipe, longtubes, and dual flowmaster 40's. I think he has an aggressive cam as well to get that lope at idle.

I've come to the conclusion that is the best setup for the 3.8's, and even above 2500rpms its going to get buzzy and drony...just the way of the sixer.
You could do the same setup with a catted h-pipe to stay emissions legal.
Plus it wouldn't be as loud and raspy higher up.

Also, I agree with loud not always being better...in the v6's case anyways. A more quiet, mellow and crisp sounding v6 is the best sounding v6 imo. That's why I bought the pypes street pros...they are a straight thru design, but don't drone and get too loud wot. I also don't have the x-pipe so that helps avoid raspiness and a high pitched tone.
How much does an exhaust like yours cost and you said it sounded great. Also I'm looking in to a Kenwood with nav. but not sure if I have enough money for a amp what kind of speakers do you recommend. Thanks again I don't mean to bother you but you seem to know whats up with everything so, It does mean alot Thanks Ponyboy
ponyboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have the alpine type r speakers in my car and they sound great. I like them a lot.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy94 View Post
How much does an exhaust like yours cost and you said it sounded great. Also I'm looking in to a Kenwood with nav. but not sure if I have enough money for a amp what kind of speakers do you recommend. Thanks again I don't mean to bother you but you seem to know whats up with everything so, It does mean alot Thanks Ponyboy
Thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

no problem ponyboy
Old 04-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Big speakers and heavy amps and big head units are just unnessesary weight to slow you down. I got a pioneer head unit that was 1/4 of the stock weight. and i might change my speakers to pioneer but the subs and amps are just like throwing a big anchor out the window.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

yea i got a new radio and then some new speakers. i was thinking about an amp but mine are already loud enough. i dont really need an amp and like you said they are extra weight and a waste of space.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

aside from a new head unit and speakers i dont see the purpose of the amps and subs. unless youre into that thumping bass and 22" spinaz crowd. Then i would suggest selling the stang and getting an escalade, navigator or expidition or something like that. Youll have room for all the amps and subs you could dream of.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy94 View Post
Dude you're not bothering me at all...ask all the questions you want, that's what we're here for, just want to make that clear.

Exhaust is really a personal preference. Some guys like the tone my pypes system makes, others don't. Same goes for all the other brands. I personally would stay away from magnaflows...they get really high pitched and buzzy, and that's with the stock y-pipe. Listen to some sound clips, try and hear other sixers in person, that's the best way. There are tons of options: Pypes, Flowmaster, Borla, MAC, Spintech, stock GT mufflers with an off road h-pipe wouldn't sound too bad either. If you really want a deep tone, I'd dump the exhaust. That means having the piping turn down towards the ground under the car...either before the axle or under the bumper. People have done this and are very happy with it.

Costs will vary based on application and type. A catback system or converter back system will cost you $300-600+ depending on brand. Custom piping will be based on the shop and its charges, plus mufflers. You can buy an adapter kit that allows you to bolt up any solid rear axle v8 catback on your v6. Adapter kits run about $100-120, while the catbacks are anywhere from $350-700.

Expect to pay anywhere from $200-700 for exhaust, paying less for a couple pipes to be run with your choice mufflers, more for a complete brand catback that basically bolts on.

As far as speakers, I'm not to well versed in that area. I'm happy with the stock mach 460 system and the famous 6-disc changer that ****s up every other time, lol. I had a friend who had Type R's and was very happy with them. That's about all you're gonna get from me

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Dude you're not bothering me at all...ask all the questions you want, that's what we're here for, just want to make that clear.

Exhaust is really a personal preference. Some guys like the tone my pypes system makes, others don't. Same goes for all the other brands. I personally would stay away from magnaflows...they get really high pitched and buzzy, and that's with the stock y-pipe. Listen to some sound clips, try and hear other sixers in person, that's the best way. There are tons of options: Pypes, Flowmaster, Borla, MAC, Spintech, stock GT mufflers with an off road h-pipe wouldn't sound too bad either. If you really want a deep tone, I'd dump the exhaust. That means having the piping turn down towards the ground under the car...either before the axle or under the bumper. People have done this and are very happy with it.

Costs will vary based on application and type. A catback system or converter back system will cost you $300-600+ depending on brand. Custom piping will be based on the shop and its charges, plus mufflers. You can buy an adapter kit that allows you to bolt up any solid rear axle v8 catback on your v6. Adapter kits run about $100-120, while the catbacks are anywhere from $350-700.

Expect to pay anywhere from $200-700 for exhaust, paying less for a couple pipes to be run with your choice mufflers, more for a complete brand catback that basically bolts on.

As far as speakers, I'm not to well versed in that area. I'm happy with the stock mach 460 system and the famous 6-disc changer that ****s up every other time, lol. I had a friend who had Type R's and was very happy with them. That's about all you're gonna get from me
Thanks again always very helpful, I will listen and check other V6 models Like most not a big fan of the high pitch. I will let you know whats up. Thanks PONYBOY
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

also, r you planning on installing the long tubes yourself? i paid about 500 for my longtubes, o/r h, and catback and had a friend(purevenom) help with the install. actually he did most of the work. but that wouldve cost another 500 to pay someone to do it. the mid pipe and catback are easy but those long tubes are a ***** to install.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

also, dumps are badass. thats what i had originally, until i came home with them and my dad started *****ing about how they rattle the entire house but ill probably go back with them eventually. also they will help tremendously with that high pitch sound the others are referring to.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
also, dumps are badass. thats what i had originally, until i came home with them and my dad started *****ing about how they rattle the entire house but ill probably go back with them eventually. also they will help tremendously with that high pitch sound the others are referring to.
+1

Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

i think i may have also set a record for setting off the most car alarms in my parking garage at one time.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

haha, nice.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #32

so pretty much im gonna need long tubes to get the sound i want, also with out cats? has anyone left stock manifolds on and did a full exhaust and it still sounds good?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so pretty much im gonna need long tubes to get the sound i want, also with out cats? has anyone left stock manifolds on and did a full exhaust and it still sounds good?
i had just a catback to start. i only heard it when i started the car. i would have to floor it to even get to hear it. those were flowmaster 40's. i then put some bbk shorties on. didnt make a difference whatsoever. i then swapped to long tubes and the o/r h pipe. it made it sound completely different. if you leave the cats on it might not get that high pitch, but you still wont really notice much of a difference. the cats are probably the most restriciting part in the exhaust. not to mention you will pay twice as much to get a catted mid pipe. with an o/r mid pipe and catback it will sound pretty good, however, i just cant see it being close to lt's. its up to you but i wouldnt have my exhaust any other way.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

If i didnt have to go to emissions i probably would have tried out the off road pipe myself.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

dual flowmaster super 40's are the way to go. a guy that said he owned a 95 cobra thought my car was a GT by the way it sounded until we talked.

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang