Help: Info on 8.8 SVO, and 3.8 intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question Help: Info on 8.8 SVO, and 3.8 intake

i have just come accross some deals:
8.8 svo rear w/3.73 complete $500
96' 3.8 intake upper $30

would these be a wise purchase for a 98 mustang v6 auto, the guy said the 8.8 had about 44k miles and i was thinking of getting that then later on dropping a tru-trak when i got the cash, any inputs on svo rears please tell.
Also if anyone knows a site where i can read up on this SVO rear please send me the link, thanks.

Also a 3.8 upper intake for $30 is that a good price? i was thinking of taking it to a local shop and get it stage 3 p&p and/or cleaning it up for paint or high polish finish, he intentionally wanted $40 i offered $25 we met at $30, no shipping local pickup, any info on how much that would cost, p&p and the paint or high polish finish, thanks
98 MUSTANG V6 AUTO-MAC FENDER COLD AIR INTAKE-STEEDA 4 BOLT FULLY ADJ CASTER/CAMBER KIT-EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS-MAC DUAL EXHAUST KIT-S2K BODY KIT-17"COBRA RIMS-245 BF TA KDW (NT)FRONT-275 BF TA KDW (TT)REAR-BLACK WIDOW WING-BULLIT GAS CAP-DUAL PILAR POD-REVERSE GLOW GAUGES-COBRA R HOOD
mrvMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Help: Info on 8.8 SVO, and 3.8 intake

unless you plan to drag race the car at a track you really dont need an 8.8. I think fox body 8.8s are more narrow than 94-98 mustangs.

30 bucks for the upper aint to bad, see if you can get it for 20... its worth 20 bucks.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
unless you plan to drag race the car at a track you really dont need an 8.8. I think fox body 8.8s are more narrow than 94-98 mustangs.
30 bucks for the upper aint to bad, see if you can get it for 20... its worth 20 bucks.
yes i plan to drag race in about 2-4 weeks agains my friends scion tc/ civic dx/ turbo'd crx

and what about prices on v6 heads?
98 MUSTANG V6 AUTO-MAC FENDER COLD AIR INTAKE-STEEDA 4 BOLT FULLY ADJ CASTER/CAMBER KIT-EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS-MAC DUAL EXHAUST KIT-S2K BODY KIT-17"COBRA RIMS-245 BF TA KDW (NT)FRONT-275 BF TA KDW (TT)REAR-BLACK WIDOW WING-BULLIT GAS CAP-DUAL PILAR POD-REVERSE GLOW GAUGES-COBRA R HOOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

they are generally rather cheap as well just have to keep an eye out for a set from someone that does not know what they have. You do run a risk though of them being POS... and worthless so its a riskyou take when you buy used.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I believe SpectorV is right, the Fox 8.8's were shorter than the `94 onward.

As for the upper, I dont know that I would get it because you dont know how well it's been ported. Was it ported by a reputable shop? If so, I dont really think if it was that great a porting job he would be willing to let it go for $30~
Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
they are generally rather cheap as well just have to keep an eye out for a set from someone that does not know what they have. You do run a risk though of them being POS... and worthless so its a riskyou take when you buy used.
are you talking about the heads? i was just thinking to get them out the way in case i do get ssm or rpm heads and ship those in for the core charge or just have them worked on at a local shop, i would like to get em stage 3 and then all i have to get is the new cam, what do you think, he sold me the intake for $30 and he has the heads, might as well get it out the way. they are stock of course, how much for the heads you think i should ask?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow

As for the upper, I dont know that I would get it because you dont know how well it's been ported. Was it ported by a reputable shop? If so, I dont really think if it was that great a porting job he would be willing to let it go for $30~
its for a stock intake and i plan on paying to do p&p at a local shop, sorry for the confusion, ttt corrected what i meant
Old 06-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Oh, ok than. Yeah go ahead and get the heads too. I'm thinking you should ask for about $50 on those.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Yep, heads for 50 is good for 96.

A local shop cannot Stage 3 it probably, I started Stage 3 and it is cut-n-weld.
You gotta know where to cut it and all that. It's a bit more involved than just
hacking off the plenum.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeah that sucks, i just purchased the intake only,he wanted 50 for heads but i dont need em yet. The intake is a bit rusty but clean on the outside for the most part, i would love to get it stage 3 P&P, a local shop said that they hone the intakes for stage 3 not weld, he said its a type of clay they shoot through and that is what is better to be done... is this true?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:38 AM   #11
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvMustang
yeah that sucks, i just purchased the intake only,he wanted 50 for heads but i dont need em yet. The intake is a bit rusty but clean on the outside for the most part, i would love to get it stage 3 P&P, a local shop said that they hone the intakes for stage 3 not weld, he said its a type of clay they shoot through and that is what is better to be done... is this true?
Yeah, Extrude Hone Rocks, but it's expensive... You should get it hand ported first.
Helps more if it's hand ported. More later...
Old 06-15-2006, 06:29 AM   #12
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

I'd get the TB inlet hand ported for a BBk 56mm TB.
Also, getting the upper gasket matched is a good idea (EH does it for $80)

These steps will insure maximum performance potential from your upper intake.

I would not get the lower intake Extrude honed, it is lots more $$$ than hand porting
and not necessary, as the lower is totally hand accessible. I can help you DIY it.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR
I'd get the TB inlet hand ported for a BBk 56mm TB.
Also, getting the upper gasket matched is a good idea (EH does it for $80)

These steps will insure maximum performance potential from your upper intake.

I would not get the lower intake Extrude honed, it is lots more $$$ than hand porting
and not necessary, as the lower is totally hand accessible. I can help you DIY it.
DIY it? how musch does the hand porting and extruding run average price each? any info on a great deal for split port kit w/no return fuel line?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #14
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

I got some SPI heads and lowers, I'd let you have pretty cheap, but no uppers.

I could even port 1 set of ports and lower intake runners so you could copy it...
Old 06-17-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

if i got those i would def need the split port kit, with your intakes and what not. any ideas?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang