Both welds blown... :\ - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #1

Region: California
Both welds blown... :\

So, I've got a 2001 v-6 (I neglected to mention this in my introduction), and I was on my way to work yesterday, and upon starting my car, I notice that it is noticably louder. I had my music up a little, so I didn't think much of it. "Maybe...I'm crazy, and I just never payed much attention to it before." But when I actually GOT TO WORK, and stepped out of my car, it was unbearably loud.

I checked it out. I came to see that each weld on the exhaust manifolds were broken, at the flanges. So, yesterday, I spent about 3 hours trying to disconnect the manifolds. I'm not too experienced with working on cars, but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Now, I haven't pulled out the manifolds yet; I've just taken off the nuts. I do have the flanges set aside, though.

Here are the questions: should I get the flanges simply welded back on to the manifolds? Or should I simply buy new ones? If I get them welded back on, how well will they hold? How good is the quality of the manufacturer's weld? Or, should I simply upgrade with headers?

All I'm really looking for is the solution that I'll get the most reliability out of.

Thanks.
Low Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Re: Both welds blown... :\

If you are a 99 or later v6 it is worthwhile to upgrade to shorty headeers or longtubes if you'd like. Others will argue this but the 99+ had crappy flowing headers from the factory, and usually mustangs like to develop exhaust leaks, I went through the same thing with my car. I would say if you are looking for a quick fix pick a set of Shorty Headers out and be done with it, or look into Longtube Headers for a little more performance. Keep in mind if you go longtube, you need a new cat pipe.

I wouldn't have the flanges welded, as a new set of headers is 300 tops, no idea what the welding shop will charge but I don't think it's worth it to fix them. The quality of the weld is all in how much the guy doing it knows what hes doing. Also they need to remove all rust from the surfaces being welded.

They are a pretty straightforward install, the only real tricky part being the oil dipstick tube and getting them to seal perfect. Do you have anything else done performance wise to your car? If you aren't confident enough in your abilities, exhaust shops will put them on for you.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #3

Well, I work at a Nissan dealership, and the muffler shop that I'd take it to would be the same one that the dealership sends their cars to. Besides, my friend's dad, who helped with pulling them, knows a guy that works at that same shop, and he said he can get them welded for about 20 - 25 bucks a pop. As cheap as that is, though, I'd rather spend the money to get the security. I don't doubt that it'll be a good weld...I'm just trying to be safe, and I don't want to spend too much money in the long run.

Well, I guess, just like the rest of us who live on budgets.

Yeah, I quickly came to the conclusion that I'd have to unbolt the oil dipstick thing-a-ma-jigget that holds it there and move it aside...that wasn't the tricky part, really. What WAS tricky, though, was getting to the damned nuts on the passenger side manifold. All-in-all, I busted 3 knuckles. lol

I don't have anything else done to the car; it's all stock. I'm undecided right now about upgrading it, especially being at 103,8XX miles, and an automatic. Plus, I've got my eyes set on another car *gasp!*. Sorry guys. As much as I love this car, my dream isn't a Mustang.
Low Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

No one is perfect

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

If you dont intend to keep it, a new set of stock manifolds will be considerably cheaper than headers. Just get stockers and call it a day.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Pull the stockers from a junker though, Ford will rape you like 250 a piece.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Rdmotorsport.com sells very nice shorty headers. at a good price.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang