brake pads and rotors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
brake pads and rotors

I need to get new brakes pads and rotors soon and i was just wondering what suggestions you guys have. i dont need anything expensive or whatever, just what works best for the money. i wouldnt mind having nicer looking rotors though, unless its going to cost me a lot more than just stock ones would.

Mods: MAC Dual Catback Exhaust, MAC Shorty Headers, CAI, Sequential Taillights, 03 17" Cobra Rims

My Garage
electricstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy
Re: brake pads and rotors

just head to firestone and tell them.... they are reasonably priced
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

we have been over this already in your other brake threads. If you stay with the oem stuff (dont change the type of brakes/rotors) go oem normal brakes/rotors/pads dont spend money on oem size rotors that look nice cuz they are still so small they really look odd.

The other alternative is to buy OEM 99+ cobra brakes and 13 inch rotors. It will cost more, but not a ton. The end result is nice looking brakes that stop tons better. You must have 17 inch wheels though.

You can replace your brakes you have now for much cheaper though if you stay with the oem brakes like you had.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

alrighty then... sorry to make you repost what you have already said. i guess ill just stick with all oem stuff.

Mods: MAC Dual Catback Exhaust, MAC Shorty Headers, CAI, Sequential Taillights, 03 17" Cobra Rims

My Garage
Old 07-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

np, i just took my car to get new brakes done, got the oem stuff, but then painted the brake calipers red....looks well especially with 03 chrome cobra rims i have.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i am going to just do it myself when i do my suspension stuff... idk if im going to paint my calipers or not. definately not red since my car is green.

My Garage
Old 07-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

just post up how much you are willing to invest in the brakes and then we can tell you if you have to stay oem or if you can upgrade.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i looked at the prices for the oem parts and i dont really want to spend more than that, so thats going to work fine for me. should i order the oem parts online, or go to a ford dealer?

My Garage
Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

check oem prices as well as autozone and such to find which is cheapest.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #10

Region: Canada

I have seen drilled rotors in our Canadian tire store flyer, inexpensive and look great but I have not tryed them , anyone from Canada try them yet? I have to replace rotors on my family car soon , I may check out the price diff. and install a set .
on a different note my 94 stang dosent have anti lock brakes is this common for that year? I could use an adjustable aftermarket proportioning valve to help with front wheel lock up ( I want to try auto cross )
have a good one
Crash
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I have seen drilled rotors in our Canadian tire store flyer, inexpensive and look great but I have not tryed them , anyone from Canada try them yet? I have to replace rotors on my family car soon , I may check out the price diff. and install a set .
on a different note my 94 stang dosent have anti lock brakes is this common for that year? I could use an adjustable aftermarket proportioning valve to help with front wheel lock up ( I want to try auto cross )
have a good one
Crash
Drilled look goood but are a waste of money unless they are as cheap as oem. Slotted are actually better in that they allow dust and brake gasses to be expelled from under the pad better. But actually the OEM rotor is a good product. Also remember drilled or slotted cannot be turned by convention rotor turning equipment.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #12

sorry these are slotted also, and yea they do look cool , just wondering if any one has tryed the Canadian tire brand units. the more cooling the less fade.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
sorry these are slotted also, and yea they do look cool , just wondering if any one has tryed the Canadian tire brand units. the more cooling the less fade.
Hole were not designed for cooling they are lightning holes to reduce the weight of the rotor on race cars that change rotors after every race.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #14

If you wish to get technical the holes and slots were designed to get rid of spent break pad "dust" which can build up on the pads surface causing brake fade because the friction coefficient of the spent "material " is less ( cause it is effectively burnt ) this also causes undue heat , so in effect holes and slots do help with cooling and improve braking ( plus they look cool )

there is no real down side to upgrading to these if the price is comparable, all motorcycles use these types now, from dirt bike to the biggest cruiser.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
If you wish to get technical the holes and slots were designed to get rid of spent break pad "dust" which can build up on the pads surface causing brake fade because the friction coefficient of the spent "material " is less ( cause it is effectively burnt ) this also causes undue heat , so in effect holes and slots do help with cooling and improve braking ( plus they look cool )

there is no real down side to upgrading to these if the price is comparable, all motorcycles use these types now, from dirt bike to the biggest cruiser.
As I said holes in rotors were for making them lighter we do the same to aircraft parts to make them lighter. Holes do a poor job of removing dust Slots are better. Their is a down side to slotted or drilled which is cost to replace. You cannot turn slots or drilled so once they start to warp you are buying new ones. The other problem in drilled rotors is cracking under extreme conditions. That is why racing teams change rotors after every race
Old 07-10-2006, 03:50 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
As I said holes in rotors were for making them lighter we do the same to aircraft parts to make them lighter.
LOL, and we call them lightening holes. Go figure!! I don't know what the NAVY calls them though. Who knows what the NAVY was thinking when they were building planes.....2:

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

simply drilling holes in the metal is not as good as making the holes pre-formed to the rotor. Pretty much though... if you buy slotted and drilled rotors dont expect any better stoping power, and expect to replace them rather quick as they warp pretty fast. I have first hand experience with that
Old 07-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion View Post
LOL, and we call them lightening holes. Go figure!! I don't know what the NAVY calls them though. Who knows what the NAVY was thinking when they were building planes.....2:
The navy does not build planes either does the airforce. The term lightening holes is a generally accepted Engineering term use during Aircraft construction
Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Down here in the south when something doent work we just weld more **** onto it until it does. No holes for us.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang