Windstar Swap --PICS-- - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Windstar Swap --PICS--

hey, been a while, but i finally finished it, so far its fuc*ing awsome, seriously awsome, like really awsome, better throttle resoponse, louder, i can feel more power with the tune, and looks better to. o and i forgot to mention, i had absolutly no problems with hood clearence, no spacers or anything, fit like a glove. and lastly i will get everything color coted in a few more weeks so it will look nicer, anyway some pics form today...

mystanghurts04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Windstar Swap --PICS--

it looks really nice. is that the kit from vap? i was actually thinking about doing that as a final mod and to clean up my engine bay. what other mods do u have? did you dyno before and after and how long did it take u?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I won't lie... it looks pretty sick. Nicely done.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well, it only took about 2hr to install, but i had olready done it on a friends car, but i reasearched it and gathered parts for olmost 4months so i knew exactly what i needed, and then install was a breez. i did not buy it form vap, but i did buy a few parts form him, everything else is custom. befor the windstar i had a pNp tb, and intake spacer, msd wires, mac H pipe, flow 40s 93 octane tune, cai. now i have all that but the spacer n the tb, now obviously i have the windstar and a 65mm gt tb, and overall its an improvement over the 2. i say to any sixer that can, do it u wont regret it. o and no dyno #s.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystanghurts04 View Post
well, it only took about 2hr to install, but i had olready done it on a friends car, but i reasearched it and gathered parts for olmost 4months so i knew exactly what i needed, and then install was a breez. i did not buy it form vap, but i did buy a few parts form him, everything else is custom. befor the windstar i had a pNp tb, and intake spacer, msd wires, mac H pipe, flow 40s 93 octane tune, cai. now i have all that but the spacer n the tb, now obviously i have the windstar and a 65mm gt tb, and overall its an improvement over the 2. i say to any sixer that can, do it u wont regret it. o and no dyno #s.
how did you get the gt throttle body to work?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

got a modded one from vap, and i used the windstar throttle bracket and the mustang bracket and kindof made it work, u can see on the pic i drlled some holes in it, and it fit right on, i used the orignal windstar throttle body gasket and a gt tb gasket and some rtv sealent. other then that bolted right up.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

looks badass dude. i really wanted to do that. just think the kits too expensive

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

like i said i didnt buy the kit. all thoghter it was around 300, cause i kept mixing and matching parts till i finally found a set up that i liked. dude even if it is alittle expensive its more then worth it, for looks N performance.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

I know their not made to go on a 98 but do you think I could make it work or no? Cause it looks sick. I like it. Makes it look like you have a lot more done than you actually do.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

it will only work on a 98 if u do a split port swap. and thanks for all the positive comments guys, again it will look better in a few more days, like it came it came with the car
Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it will only work on a 98 if u do a split port swap. and thanks for all the positive comments guys, again it will look better in a few more days, like it came it came with the car
and i bet its a whole lot easier to clean than the old one
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
like i said i didnt buy the kit. all thoghter it was around 300, cause i kept mixing and matching parts till i finally found a set up that i liked. dude even if it is alittle expensive its more then worth it, for looks N performance.
yeah your right. and it does look damn good

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

so how would i go about doing the split port for my 98?
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
so how would i go about doing the split port for my 98?
well for starters, you would need to change the cylinder heads and intakes. you would also need throttle body/cable, iac, coil pack, plug wires, front and rear coolant bypass tubes, egr and solenoid, fuel rails, injectors, pcv and vacuum lines, and thermostat housing among other things. its a good bit of work for just wanting a windstar intake.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
well for starters, you would need to change the cylinder heads and intakes. you would also need throttle body/cable, iac, coil pack, plug wires, front and rear coolant bypass tubes, egr and solenoid, fuel rails, injectors, pcv and vacuum lines, and thermostat housing among other things. its a good bit of work for just wanting a windstar intake.
there's a performance gain too

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
there's a performance gain too
well i realize that, but he seems to just want to get the windstar on. If he is looking for the added 40hp or so and can do the work, then it would be a good idea.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

nice
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

i dont think youd get 40hp out of that

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
i dont think youd get 40hp out of that
The HP gain reference was in relation to a split port swap + that intake. Look at the HP ratings between a 1998 and a 1999 v6 Mustang and you'll see the split port difference.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

ohh my b

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

updated pic... got black cupler, an L fitting for top vacume hose, fixed all house clamps (facing the right way), and cleand some of the egr and wirring stuff up, to make it look nicer. only problem was the intake was hanging to low, and was hitting the ac pully, so i had to zip tye the filter the the body

Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

looks good. mine should be done soon. waiting on shizz to come in.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
If you planned on keeping the engine stock and didn't want to upgrade heads/intakes etc., I'd just find a 99+ 3.8. By the time you buy all that stuff by itself, you could probably find a low mileage 3.8 for pretty cheap and drop it in.

To the OP, very nice. I didn't really like the look of the windstar intake at first, but it's growing on me. Definitely looks clean under there. Might have to start piecing one together myself

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
If you planned on keeping the engine stock and didn't want to upgrade heads/intakes etc., I'd just find a 99+ 3.8. By the time you buy all that stuff by itself, you could probably find a low mileage 3.8 for pretty cheap and drop it in.

To the OP, very nice. I didn't really like the look of the windstar intake at first, but it's growing on me. Definitely looks clean under there. Might have to start piecing one together myself
Yea I dont think he was looking to do all that anyways. But it would definately be cheaper to just grab parts off a junkyard car.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

yea the windstar intake just looks so sick. i like it a lot. i just wish i could get it for mine without having to do all that other motor stuff. thats a lot of work just to do one thing. maybe in the long run i will. but then again, maybe ill just keep saving for a cobra. someone offered to sell me their comp. orange cobra with 18,000 miles on it for $20,000. i wanted to do it so bad. but with me going to college at the end of summer i could never pay off that loan. im pissed!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yea the windstar intake just looks so sick. i like it a lot. i just wish i could get it for mine without having to do all that other motor stuff. thats a lot of work just to do one thing. maybe in the long run i will. but then again, maybe ill just keep saving for a cobra. someone offered to sell me their comp. orange cobra with 18,000 miles on it for $20,000. i wanted to do it so bad. but with me going to college at the end of summer i could never pay off that loan. im pissed!
yea college is killing me too. keep seeing my shelbys drop lower and lower in price and dont wanna wait. id say thats the right choice. just enjoy it until you can get what you really want.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

it sucks. i hate it. i just wish we could add the loan of the car onto our college loans. that would make it so much easier. haha.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it sucks. i hate it. i just wish we could add the loan of the car onto our college loans. that would make it so much easier. haha.
Lol. In the short run. Then when you graduate you spend the next several years paying it off.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

^^ just save up and drive a modest car as a daily driver ,then when you graduate you will have cash and if you get a good job you can buy a nicer car after you pay off your loans~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
^^ just save up and drive a modest car as a daily driver ,then when you graduate you will have cash and if you get a good job you can buy a nicer car after you pay off your loans~
Well, fortunately I have awesome parents and scholarship pays for the rest. Already got the savings pretty high so its only a matter of time. However, I am a very impatient person
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Keep in mind that decent places are hesitant on giving out loans to younger people right now. My old roommate tried to get a $4000 loan last year during school and he couldn't...credit union, bank, nothing would qualify him, and he had great credit (for his age and time earning credit). Sometimes that is the reason...you might have good credit and no late payments on your credit card etc. but because you've only earned credit for 2 years, banks won't qualify you...they want that commitment and duration of earning credit and maintaining a good status.

So it might be tougher to get a good size loan for a car while also paying college loans. Not trying to deter you or anything, just putting it out there.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Keep in mind that decent places are hesitant on giving out loans to younger people right now. My old roommate tried to get a $4000 loan last year during school and he couldn't...credit union, bank, nothing would qualify him, and he had great credit (for his age and time earning credit). Sometimes that is the reason...you might have good credit and no late payments on your credit card etc. but because you've only earned credit for 2 years, banks won't qualify you...they want that commitment and duration of earning credit and maintaining a good status.

So it might be tougher to get a good size loan for a car while also paying college loans. Not trying to deter you or anything, just putting it out there.
Yea thats also a problem I realize, but doesnt it also depend on the down payment and interest rate. I mean do you think they would say no if I put half of the cars value down in cash? Im a little new to the whole loan thing. Hell, I dont even have a credit card yet.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

man you got a ton saved up! maybe they wont think you will have a problem with the payments since you have so much money. haha
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
man you got a ton saved up! maybe they wont think you will have a problem with the payments since you have so much money. haha
lol. well i never said how much. ive been working since i was 12 so that helps. it kinda makes me sick thinking about all the money ive blown on the 6 that coulda been saved instead. however with the help of rob(purevenom) its been an awesome learning experience and hopefully ill be doing all my own mods from now on. so i cant say that i regret it as at least ill have a nice looking dd if i decide to keep it.

whats your major btw? i dont really know anyone on this forum around here thats still in college.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

well that is a long *** time to be saving. but yea i have spent a ton on mine too and i could have saved all that but i love it as my dd. i might end up selling it once i decide to get a cobra but im not sure yet. yours looks sick by the way. i love how you made it look like a cobra with the front end. ive done everything myself as far as mods so its been a good learning experience also.

but im not in college yet. i graduate high school June 4th. cant wait. but when i go to college in september i will be majoring in some sort of Criminal Justice or Justice Studies and then move on to Law School to be a Lawyer. whats your major?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang