Supercharger or turbo? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Supercharger or turbo?

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I just recently got a 94 V6 mustang and I love it and I am going to work really hard on it. My question is what would be better, a supercharger or a turbo/twin turbo? I have heard superchargers are better for american muscle but I'm not sure. what I want is more horses, more acceleration and the sound of the engine to roar. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks!
DonnyM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: Supercharger or turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyM32 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forums and I just recently got a 94 V6 mustang and I love it and I am going to work really hard on it. My question is what would be better, a supercharger or a turbo/twin turbo? I have heard superchargers are better for american muscle but I'm not sure. what I want is more horses, more acceleration and the sound of the engine to roar. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks!
Howdy,

If the car is that old, I would have EVERYTHING tuned up on it first and formost. Also, the pre 99's have head gasket issues with boost so your boost levels are limited.

SC vs. TC is an old debate.

SC will give you "instant" boost, but generally does not give you as much HP per PSI as a turbo does. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to both so I will leave these up to you to do research in our poweradders forum. As far as SC's being better for American Muscle, not true. It really doesn't matter. And for engine sound, neither will really help the "engine sound". The sound of the wastegate will drown out engine noise, but both will help your exhaust tone immensley. I have some exhaust clips of mine if you are interested.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #3

Hmm........ and what should I work in by tuning everything in my car? I'm getting my engine cleaned soon, then maybe a power purge. I've heard getting some fuel injection fluid would also help my car alot. So, what else should I do to my car and what parts or things could I do to get all my horses out? Thank you for the help by the way. My main goal, by the way, is to beat the guy across the street with me. He's got a stock V-6 stang to but it's 2000 so he's got me on horses but not by much. all the help I can get is truly apreciated guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

well, right now, you're down roughly 50 horses... so, make sure the engine is running well, and then do some mods. You can find 50-60 horsepower worth of mods flying around the forums. You might consider a split port swap first, then you'll have approaching his horsepower. After that, an intake, and some exhaust work, and some under drive pullies, and you should walk on him. With a tuner, even more so. If your car is an automatic, get a shift kit. Is his an auto? The auto is typically a little slower in the 1/4 mile than the stick, so that would help you. You could also look into rear gears... 4.10's for an automatic, and 3.73's for a manual. It really depends how far you want to go. If you just want to beat him... you can get that with some minor mods. If you want to beat him every day of the week, no questions asked, even if he does a couple minor mods... you'd have to do some more.

Or, you could go the cheapest route.. and just get a 75 shot of nitrous... of course, that might not be what you want, as far as durable, constant power goes.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there was a headgasket TSB or Recall one for 94 though mid 96 3.8L mustangs. If yours has been replaced your fine if it has not you do NOT want to run boost on it in any form.

That being said run a check and find out if it was ever replaced~

Before you bolt up a supercharger or turbocharger I would build the motor, its cheaper, and in the end you will have more hp/tq on the built motor than you would with the stock motor and a supercharger/turbocharger. On top of this the motor will be very strong and brand new vs what you have now. You can also build the motor for boost later on down the line.

You can buy a spare motor and build it while you wait then the down time will be little as you can drive your car until it is ready.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #6

If I were to get another engine, could I swap a v8 or would it just be easier to get a newer 3.8 v6? I'm sorry if these questions are dumb but I am a bit new to the stang scene.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

A new 3.8 would be much easier to bolt in than doing a v8 swap. If you do that, you might as well get a built 4.2 and build it outside the car, then drop it in when you are ready.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

putting a v8 engine in a v6 stang means adding and changing out a LOT more than just the engine. it's a lot of work. it can be done if you wish, but it will be more expensive than just putting in a built v6

besides, telling people they got beat by a v6 is fun
Old 07-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #9

Does it matter what year the v6 engine is?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

As far as the block goes no, the 2001-2004 have the strongest blocks , plus they have a girdle/windage tray . You could do a split port swap while your at it and gain another 40 hp right there.
http://www.Delkperformance.com/
WWW.SUPERSIXMOTORSPORTS.COM
http://www.v6challenge.com
GT-Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyM32 View Post
Hmm........ and what should I work in by tuning everything in my car? I'm getting my engine cleaned soon, then maybe a power purge. I've heard getting some fuel injection fluid would also help my car alot. So, what else should I do to my car and what parts or things could I do to get all my horses out? Thank you for the help by the way. My main goal, by the way, is to beat the guy across the street with me. He's got a stock V-6 stang to but it's 2000 so he's got me on horses but not by much. all the help I can get is truly apreciated guys.

I've found that changing the fuel fitler and plugs restores some lost power. Check all the fluids and filter while you're at it.

It depends on how much you want to spend. If you were to do a split port swap you mind as well just find a low mileage 01-04 motor and put that in. However if you don't have the means for that then maybe buy the best heads you can find, and then port the intakes. Lot's of power to be had in what you already have under your hood.
If you just simply want a little more power then I'd go with new heads, ported intakes, gears, and a good tune. with that you can run with some GT's.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang