supercharger worth it? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: supercharger worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILE10_STANG View Post
Tigerfan... I like that cobra front, looks sexy!
thanks bro. its got the fog lights in now as well.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

THIS IS ANOTHER MESSAGE FRMO THE SELLER... HOW MUCH TO FIX ALL THAT? ESTIMATE?

The car's general condition is mechanically sound but cosmetically needy. It has a few minor mechanical flaws, like needing a new speedometer worm gear in the transmission, and losing brake fluid somewhere other than at the wheels (so it probably needs a master cylinder). We can talk about its weaknesses & strengths at your convenience.

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
CHILE10_STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
THIS IS ANOTHER MESSAGE FRMO THE SELLER... HOW MUCH TO FIX ALL THAT? ESTIMATE?

The car's general condition is mechanically sound but cosmetically needy. It has a few minor mechanical flaws, like needing a new speedometer worm gear in the transmission, and losing brake fluid somewhere other than at the wheels (so it probably needs a master cylinder). We can talk about its weaknesses & strengths at your convenience.
After you look at the car and feel that it is something you want to undertake, put an offer in a few hundred under his asking price to cover some of the replacement parts...tell him that too, feel him out and see if he'll bite.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks bro... U think it'll be expensive to fix what he mentioned?
It looks like a nice project car... A 1967 is always nice =)

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 04-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I did a quick search on CJ Pony Parts and a worm gear for the 65-69's manuals was about 9-11 bucks. The master brake cylinder was about $150 or so. A full floor pan kit for the 64-68 coupe was 299.95.

So that's about $450-500 for parts...there's probably many more small components that will need to be replaced throughout the engine, drivetrain, suspension, body, frame, body etc. It looks like the exterior will need a full restoration...moldings, trim, weatherstripping, possibly panels depending on condition and rust.

If the only major things needed on the car are the master cylinder and floor pans, then I'd say the car is a decent buy. But there's no guarantee how well the engine really is, so definitely check it out to make sure you don't have to replace the entire engine (unless you want to).

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #41
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Or try this site: Ford Mustang Parts - Classic Vintage Mustang Performance Accessories Body Kits Interior Parts

It does seem like a good buy...as long as that's all that's wrong with it. Better make sure.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #42

Question Re: supercharger worth it?

So, I have done all I can think of to dump some horses into my 6. But I am still lacking a supercharger, heads, and camshafts. I read the post and it seems vortec is the way to go, but I have only been successful in finding used ones for a V8. Now, I am quite the experienced mechanic, but I have never messed with a supercharger. I am merely a simple G.I. so I don't rightly have the 5k+ to spend on a new one, and I don't like the procharger either. I am insistant on a roots sytem. Can anyone give me some ideas on where to find a used vortec for a V6?
Thomas.Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Raines View Post
So, I have done all I can think of to dump some horses into my 6. But I am still lacking a supercharger, heads, and camshafts. I read the post and it seems vortec is the way to go, but I have only been successful in finding used ones for a V8. Now, I am quite the experienced mechanic, but I have never messed with a supercharger. I am merely a simple G.I. so I don't rightly have the 5k+ to spend on a new one, and I don't like the procharger either. I am insistant on a roots sytem. Can anyone give me some ideas on where to find a used vortec for a V6?
Vortech is the same style as the procharger, just without an intercooler. If your looking for a roots style blower you can either do the m90 for a single port car or a m112 for a 99-04 car.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

It would also help to state the year of your car.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

As for me id like to do as little as possible with the installation of the turbo or supercharger... Like less changed on the engine and what not. I am not such an experienced mechanic... I just know a little.

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As for me id like to do as little as possible with the installation of the turbo or supercharger... Like less changed on the engine and what not. I am not such an experienced mechanic... I just know a little.
See, a blower install wouldnt scare me at all. If i knew i had all the right parts, had an install guide, and a backup vehicle, it doesnt seem too bad. The vortech might be a pain since you have to modify the a/c line which means constant leaks as well as tap into the oil pan. Once you start tearing into the engine, that scares the hell out of me.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Yea thats exactly what i dont wanna do!
The less mods the better - i wish i could just bolt a supercharger up and not do any other mods... Well other than maybe gears and suspension

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea thats exactly what i dont wanna do!
The less mods the better - i wish i could just bolt a supercharger up and not do any other mods... Well other than maybe gears and suspension
Yeah I know what you mean, however I am starting to trust in mechanics less and less these days. I figure if I can go to school and learn how to design these damn things, I should at least be able to bolt the crap up.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #49

I have the 04 40th anniversary with the 3.9... I meant eaton, not vortec...guess I should proof read...hehehe...Anyways, so yeah I am looking into your suggestions tigerfan...thanks. I am also having problems finding heads and cams for a 3.9. Didn't see a different thread for these things and frankly, I am new to forums and not sure how to start a new one... any ideas?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the 04 40th anniversary with the 3.9... I meant eaton, not vortec...guess I should proof read...hehehe...Anyways, so yeah I am looking into your suggestions tigerfan...thanks. I am also having problems finding heads and cams for a 3.9. Didn't see a different thread for these things and frankly, I am new to forums and not sure how to start a new one... any ideas?
Well, our car only has one cam. Supersixmotorsports.com is the leader for ported heads and intakes as well as cams. Delk performance is another but they are overpriced and do not have quality goods. You should do a search on all of these as they have many threads on them. 3.8mustang.com and v6power.net are very good sites for looking up things although the people on there are ********. It seems the smaller the engine, the bigger the *******. Oh well, so search these and if you have any questions go to the v6 section and do a new topic. The people here are very helpful.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #51
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

1.) supercharger + stock bottom end + 10psi + conservative tune will last you a long time. Depending what numbers you are looking for however turbo is the way to go.

2.) the 2v isn't a better platform for modding it just has 2 more cylinders, and some people can't seem to get away from /number of cylinders/ a vehicle has.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs_ssstang View Post
1.) supercharger + stock bottom end + 10psi + conservative tune will last you a long time. Depending what numbers you are looking for however turbo is the way to go.

2.) the 2v isn't a better platform for modding it just has 2 more cylinders, and some people can't seem to get away from /number of cylinders/ a vehicle has.
so you recommend a turbo?

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

If you can live with a centri style supercharger, the procharger is probaby the easier of the two (vortech being the other). It is a self containing unit, so no tapping into the oil pan and it basically bolt on. Buying a unit that's intercooled is the safest way to go.

If you want the roots style, you'll have to look into the m90 or m112 as said before. My only issue with them is that they don't come with a way to be intercooled. The heatons (as they are commonly known) are basically air pumps, not efficient compressors like a KB or Whipple, so they produce heavy amounts of heat. Despite this, there are plenty of guys who have done the install, and kits/parts are available for a complete install. Just remember to upgrade your fuel system (injectors and pump), and a TUNE. The tune is key to any major engine alteration.

Turbo's will give you the most gains, but kits are slim these days for the 3.8/3.9's. Andy at TMA made a great bunch of kits, but I believe he stopped making them a while ago.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
if you can live with a centri style supercharger, the procharger is probaby the easier of the two (vortech being the other). It is a self containing unit, so no tapping into the oil pan and it basically bolt on. Buying a unit that's intercooled is the safest way to go.

If you want the roots style, you'll have to look into the m90 or m112 as said before. My only issue with them is that they don't come with a way to be intercooled. The heatons (as they are commonly known) are basically air pumps, not efficient compressors like a kb or whipple, so they produce heavy amounts of heat. Despite this, there are plenty of guys who have done the install, and kits/parts are available for a complete install. Just remember to upgrade your fuel system (injectors and pump), and a tune. The tune is key to any major engine alteration.

Turbo's will give you the most gains, but kits are slim these days for the 3.8/3.9's. Andy at tma made a great bunch of kits, but i believe he stopped making them a while ago.
and turbos are just bolt on?

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and turbos are just bolt on?
No, I'd say turbo's are more sophisticated and require more work to install. You need oil feeds/drain lines, wastegate, bov, egr bypass/block off, alterations to your exhaust system (that's a given, lol), guages (you'll want them with a supercharger), a bunch of clamps, hoses, lines, etc.

It all depends on the setup too.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #56

There really isn't much to a procharger though. It is pretty much bolt on, and get the PCM tuned...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

How many horses from a procharger?

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #58
Road Trip!

If you can install a procharger kit and a set of long tube header, you can install a turbo kit.

Everything is essentially "bolt on" , besides the fact that the turbo kit requires you to tap an oil pan where as the procharger kit is self contained. But personally I've never been a fan of self contained blowers. One oil change takes care of oil fed turbos/sc's and you don't need special oil blah blah.

Prochargers are notorious for leaking seals too!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
If you can install a procharger kit and a set of long tube header, you can install a turbo kit.

Everything is essentially "bolt on" , besides the fact that the turbo kit requires you to tap an oil pan where as the procharger kit is self contained. But personally I've never been a fan of self contained blowers. One oil change takes care of oil fed turbos/sc's and you don't need special oil blah blah.

Prochargers are notorious for leaking seals too!
While I agree most of the stuff is fairly simple, running lines and such, it may not be to everyone, especially someone with little experience. It's not something I'd recommend someone to do if they haven't done too much automotive related work and don't have a spare vehicle just in case a problem occurs.

However, if you are going to pay someone to do it, (and I mean really pay, labor rates are high) then it doesn't matter to much, turbo, supercharger...and 9 out 10 times people don't do in between maintenance themselves, they bring the car back in for upgrades to the systems, new oil, etc.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #60
Road Trip!

I'm just going to throw some personal experience out here.

Buy "nature" I'm a computer geek, computer science is my major and I used to be one of those don't change my own oil because I didn't know how people.

When I bought my vortech kit used no way was I paying another 1200-1500$ to get it installed. Its all pretty /basic/ as long as you can read and comprehend on an 8th grad level. The only 'hard' part was tapping my oil pan mainly because I was too scared to screw up but going slow and taking my time it only took me 8hours on my first go around.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #61

Well, prochargers are self contained centrifical superchargers. That means there is no need for oil lines like in turbos. There are several different pieces to the induction portion of the procharger, a couple of vaccum lines, and wires. But essentially there are very little if any mods, cutting and drilling you need to do. I put one in an 07 V6 in about 3 hours... woulda only taken 2 but we had to do a beer run part way thru...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #62

Hey, vcs_ssstang I too am a computer geek as well as a computer science graduate, but mechanics has ran in my family for many years, so I inherited the gift...
Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How many horses from a procharger?
you can see 300rwhp pretty easy and safely.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #64
Road Trip!

Quote:
Hey, vcs_ssstang I too am a computer geek as well as a computer science graduate, but mechanics has ran in my family for many years, so I inherited the gift...
Computer Science is my major, all my uncles and of course my father are all "shade tree" mechanics.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Computer Science is my major, all my uncles and of course my father are all "shade tree" mechanics.
About the same with me, but my father was a professional high performance mech. But it's all good...
Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

how much horsepower would an m90 supercharger give my 98 v6? cause if its just bolt on thats sweet.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Yea - for my v6 i want more power... But i just want to do a "bolt on"

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
how much horsepower would an m90 supercharger give my 98 v6? cause if its just bolt on thats sweet.
no where near a bolt on, you pretty much have to replace the engine to do it right, its a major pain with very low sad results

the M112 2003 cobra blower kit is cheaper and will result in good power.. but no intercooling

http://www.mysteedperformance.com/
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #69
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Quote:
Yea - for my v6 i want more power... But i just want to do a "bolt on"
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t5654/
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont dare expect amazing results for normal bolt ons, wont happen... just the way it is. They do help overall just dont be let down (prepare yourself lol)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang