'07 Pony "earl" woes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
'07 Pony "earl" woes

Thanks in advance, I've put about 1500 mi on my 2007 Mustang V-6 ponycar and need you guys expert opinion. Should I start off with synthetic and if so what brands are you guys happy with. I'll be doing the work myself. Thank-you for any tips. Drive safe. The Greaser:woo:

2008 Mustang Bullitt*Brenspeed Performance Tune
Pype's Violators Axle Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIjQXCVhto
greaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: '07 Pony "earl" woes

Yes, definitely start it out with synthetic.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:21 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona

Greaser
I Have Profound Advice For You. A Lubricant Called Prolong, It Is Bar None The Best Additive For Superior Lubrication!!!!!. Make Sure Your Engine Is Completely Broken In First.

I Have Driven My Car At 150mph More Times Than You Can Imagine. 5900 Rpm's 4th Gear. But My Car Would Get Very Warm Doing That. The Temp Gage Would Read More Than 3/4 To The Redline. After 2 Treatments Of Prolong, I Took My Car Out & Ran It Up To 150mph & The Temp Gage Read Only 1/4 Of The Way. Drastic Reduction In Engine Temp Holding It At Rpm Redline For 15 To 20 Miles, Well Actually More Like 30+ Miles. This Is The Absolute Truth!!!!!.

I Do Not Know If You Have Pep Boys Automotive Were You Live, But That Is Were I Can Purchase It Here In Arizona. You Will Probably Spend About $18.00 For The 12oz Bottle. Add It On A Fresh Oil Change, With The Engine Running, & Then Go For A Very Long Drive. 100+ Miles.

Oh By The Way I Have Driven The 2006 V6 5 Speed, They Haul Freakin ***, I Could Not Believe It. Good Job Ford!!.

Peace,love,respect.
Iam Out

James Denton

Oops One More Thing My 86 Mustang Gt Has Over 268.000 Miles On It. It Runs Freakin Awsome & Does Not Consume Oil Between Oil Changes. Engine Has Not Been Touched, Except For The Ancillary Items, Waterpump, Ect,ect.

Damn, Another Note, I Use It With Every Oil Change, & You Should Aswell.
JAMES DENTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

^^ Ignore the above...but yes, switch to synthetic.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Greaser
Smurfin's Advise, Post #4. Just Outright Mean. Do What You Will, I Did Not Say, Don't Use Synthetic. You Can Not Beat Synthetic Oil, But The Additive That I Enlightened You About Is Great Advice.

Smurfin Is Just A Lttle Sore With Me Because He Got Stung By Me. A Couple Of Other's As Well!, By Me.

Peace,love,respect.
Iam Out

James Denton
Old 08-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES DENTON View Post
Greaser
Smurfin's Advise, Post #4. Just Outright Mean. Do What You Will, I Did Not Say, Don't Use Synthetic. You Can Not Beat Synthetic Oil, But The Additive That I Enlightened You About Is Great Advice.

Smurfin Is Just A Lttle Sore With Me Because He Got Stung By Me. A Couple Of Other's As Well!, By Me.

Peace,love,respect.
Iam Out

James Denton
I haven't been stung by anything. The only thing you have said is...well...nothing. But, that is another thread. You make statements and then provide no argument to back them up. I can make statements all day long, until there is data, all they amount to are farts in the wind.

Your statements of being over 150 mph more times that "Tou" can imagine is a bit of a stretch. But, I will give you the benefit of a doubt that you have gone that fast numerous times....which is good to know because the odds will catch up and the pool will be clensed...hopefully before the genes spread.

However, your follow up statement of going up to 150 and holding it at readline for 30 miles seems a bit smelly. What kind of cooling mods do you have because you would have fubared your engine on the stock cooling system well before the 30 miles of 150 mph....A stock GT will not hold redline for that long at that kind of speed and come out alive...so I would have to guess you have some serious cooling mods done to it.

None the less, Prolong, Duralube, and several others of the like, are proof of great marketing used to seperate a person from their money. While some may help oil life and lubrication, they are not going to give roughly a 100* difference in coolant temperature which is what your 1/2 guage difference roughly amounts to.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Synthetic isn't really necessary in a stock Mustang, except for maybe a Cobra, but its certainly doesn't hurt, and it is much better than conventional oil. I'm certainly not some great mechanic or anything but I've heard that if you take 2 indentical engines, and use conventional oil in one, and synthetic in the other, and run them the same for 150,000 miles, then take them both apart, the engine that had the synthetic oil wont have much wear on the parts, but you will see a good bit of wear on the other engines parts. Of course it also depends on how hard you run the motors, but you get the idea. If you stick with conventional, and change your oil when your suppose to, and don't go over inbetween oil changes your car should still last for a very long time.

Me personally, I put synthetic in all of my cars, I just like to use the best stuff. I use Mobil 1.

Also if you do switch to synthetic, you're suppose to stick with it, and not switch back to conventional oil. I have had several mechanic tell me this. I believe that the particals in synthetic oils are alot smaller than they are in conventional oils, but I'm not positive about this. All I know is that if you switch back to conventional oil after you start using synthetic, your engine could start knocking.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

There's no reason to switch back and forth. Use synthetic exclusively. My pops uses Mobile 1 in all the cars in my parents' driveway...and he only changes it once a year (and yes, they have a few well over 100k on the clock and still spin like a top).

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Smurfin
Your Post #7.

1 Core Radiator To A 3 Core, I Did It At Night, Out In The Country Temp Was Very Cool Most Of The Times, 30+ Miles Was The Longest, & Happened Several Times At That Distance Oh & I Think A 165 Thermostat. A 100* Drop Hell No!, More Like 50 To 60 Or So. The Gauges In These Cars Suck!.

Get A Clue 268,000 & Does Not Consume Oil, That Should Tell You Alot, Along With The Severe Abuse That It Has Taken Over Its Long Life.

About The Gene Pool You Sick ----!, I Come From An Extremely Respectful & Very Powerful Family Tree. How Dare You, Profound Shame On You!!!!!!!!. What You Keyed Was Extremely Hateful, It Will Catch Up To You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I Do Not Think It Is Wise For You To Hate What You Do Not Understand!!!!!!!!. It Is As Simple As Using Your Brain!!!!. The Clues Are So Blunt. I Will Not Explain, It's Depth Is Way To Profound For Me To Take The Time, & That It Is Very Difficult To Believe.

Peace,love,respect.
Hard To Key That One For You!.
Iam Out

James Denton

Oh & 1 Last Thing, Thank's For Catching My Keying Error's. Did It Make You Feel Good?. I Know That I Suck At Keying, & Lazy As Well. That Is Why I Key In Caps Only, Every Letter. How About Ending The Hate, Your Life Will Be Better.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

run mobile 1 full synth and be done with it, if you treat it normally and dont do retarded things like go 150mph (YES IT IS VERY STUPID, VERY RETARDED, AND VERY VERY IRRESPONSIBLE) you will be fine. No need for any of that crap. Just keep the normal check ups and your will run fine for as long as you will probably own it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES DENTON View Post
Smurfin
Your Post #7.

1 Core Radiator To A 3 Core, I Did It At Night, Out In The Country Temp Was Very Cool Most Of The Times, 30+ Miles Was The Longest, & Happened Several Times At That Distance Oh & I Think A 165 Thermostat. A 100* Drop Hell No!, More Like 50 To 60 Or So. The Gauges In These Cars Suck!.

Get A Clue 268,000 & Does Not Consume Oil, That Should Tell You Alot, Along With The Severe Abuse That It Has Taken Over Its Long Life.

About The Gene Pool You Sick ----!, I Come From An Extremely Respectful & Very Powerful Family Tree. How Dare You, Profound Shame On You!!!!!!!!. What You Keyed Was Extremely Hateful, It Will Catch Up To You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I Do Not Think It Is Wise For You To Hate What You Do Not Understand!!!!!!!!. It Is As Simple As Using Your Brain!!!!. The Clues Are So Blunt. I Will Not Explain, It's Depth Is Way To Profound For Me To Take The Time, & That It Is Very Difficult To Believe.

Peace,love,respect.
Hard To Key That One For You!.
Iam Out

James Denton

Oh & 1 Last Thing, Thank's For Catching My Keying Error's. Did It Make You Feel Good?. I Know That I Suck At Keying, & Lazy As Well. That Is Why I Key In Caps Only, Every Letter. How About Ending The Hate, Your Life Will Be Better.
Is there a gibberish translator in the house? I can't make head nor nail of that uber-babble you flung onto the screen during your latest spasmodic seizure. Rumor has it that you are almost incomprehensible in person (as revealed by your desperate urge to babble nonsensically on message boards.) No doubt, this rumor is true.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Well the disinformation nuts are out in force. The fact is Synthetic is better than any conventional oil PERIOD and the cost of additives in regular oil cost more and are not as good as just buying synthetic oil.

All synthetic oils perform about equally. I have several post on this subject as I have more experience on this subject than almost everyone. I tested Synthetic for a couple of years. You can switch back and for at will. No matter what some mechanics say there is not ill side effects from switching PERIOD

Motor Oil

synthetic vs regular motor oil

synthetic oil
Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 PM   #14

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
Well the disinformation nuts are out in force. The fact is Synthetic is better than any conventional oil PERIOD and the cost of additives in regular oil cost more and are not as good as just buying synthetic oil.

All synthetic oils perform about equally. I have several post on this subject as I have more experience on this subject than almost everyone. I tested Synthetic for a couple of years. You can switch back and for at will. No matter what some mechanics say there is not ill side effects from switching PERIOD

Motor Oil

synthetic vs regular motor oil

synthetic oil
Yeah he's right you can switch all you want. Even go to Pennzoil Home I read it in there as well I used to be a lube tech for 3 years
Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Congratulations on your new Stang.I switched my oil and filter with 3,000km's on the odometer.I used The Quaker State synthetic.I gave the factory oil some time to help break in the motor.Have fun in your new Baby!
xz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #16

Region: Maryland

Thanks all for the good information...1st change out-Mobile 1 Synthetic.....
hey.....my motor needs all the help it can get.

Now that it can breath this supercharger will give it a reason.
X-charger is VERY VERY close....with video.. - The Mustang Source Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X Charger in 4 0.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	14560   Click image for larger version

Name:	X Charger on V6.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	14561  

2008 Mustang Bullitt*Brenspeed Performance Tune
Pype's Violators Axle Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIjQXCVhto
greaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

There is VERY LITTLE difference in one brand of Synthetic and another, they all have to meet the ASE specs. I have used Havoline and another brand I can't think of right off the top of my head. Havoline is a very popular brand of oil, and I dont' think you could go wrong with it. Really I think its a matter of your own personal preference, Mobil One is high priced, and I doubt if any or much better than any other brand. Your choice.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang