Tornado or not? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Tornado or not?

My cousin has a 99 V6 automatic that gets better gas mileage than my 00 5-speed. He put in a K&N air filter and a Tornado, which improved his gas mileage 3 city and 4 highway. Is the $130 for both worth the extra mpg and does either/both improve gas mileage?
00StangV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Re: Tornado or not?

tornados don't do crap
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

plus more air=less filtering=more crap in engine=bad

thats comming from a ford master tech

after talking tot him i WONT be getting a CAI, just a new air filter

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00StangV6 View Post
My cousin has a 99 V6 automatic that gets better gas mileage than my 00 5-speed. He put in a K&N air filter and a Tornado, which improved his gas mileage 3 city and 4 highway. Is the $130 for both worth the extra mpg and does either/both improve gas mileage?
K&N, yes. Tornado...I would say negatory. It is my experience, that turbulent air is bad...then again I am talking from a forced induction world. None the less, if there are any kind of gains to be had, I would say they would be very minimal. The K&N is knows to improve mileage and power from a tick or two...

So, in summary, get the K&N...it is worth it.

Run from the tornado.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor View Post

This is why I don't take my car to the dealership to have it worked on unless absolutely necessary.

As for the Tornado... run far, far away. All it does is restrict air flow.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
This is why I don't take my car to the dealership to have it worked on unless absolutely necessary.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

dealerships do anything to get every penny

especially ford
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:

ok........ thats the most rediculous thing Ive ever heard. How many people have run how many hundreds of thousands of miles on a car with a CAI and had "more crap in their engine" because of it.

Thats ok though, keep listening to your "ford master tech" he sounds like he knows his **** :thumbs2:

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

a cai if anything, helps the car, i have never seen a car get more stuff in its engine because of a cai

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

:no:

Tornado
Old 07-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

tornado.. what do you typically do when u see one, run and hide... do the same, use ur naturally given senses.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Road Trip!

sorta reminds me of the E-SUPERCHARGER!!!! ROFLMAO
Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:

I'm a ford master tech.. any particles that do get through the filter are about as likely to harm the engine as driving in the rain.. haven't seen it happen yet, and don't think I'll ever see it happen.. unless its a faulty filter.. or you drive on a beach and risk getting a lot more sand near the filter...

biggest problem with oil type filters is that excess oil can be sucked off the filter and screw with the MAF
Old 07-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

i talked to 12second5.0 i trust him so...whatever. to each thier own

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang View Post

ok........ thats the most rediculous thing Ive ever heard. How many people have run how many hundreds of thousands of miles on a car with a CAI and had "more crap in their engine" because of it.

Thats ok though, keep listening to your "ford master tech" he sounds like he knows his crap :thumbs2:

For your info I am the one who told Tim this information.We have had on more than several occasions "dusted" engines.We torn the engine down and actually have pits in the cylinders.I do run a K&N on my 5.0 coupe but it also sees very limited duty on the street and I am very meticulous with my maintenance.The majority of people aren't.In fact they put the K&N on and more or less forget about it.I WILL not run them on my daily drivers.Since most people will read this and think I am full of crap then ask yourself why you never see anyone run a K&N on a dirt bike?...................
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12second5.0 View Post
I WILL not run them on my daily drivers.Since most people will read this and think I am full of crap then ask yourself why you never see anyone run a K&N on a dirt bike?...................
Hummm???? This makes my head hurt. Why would you run a oiled filter on a dirt bike???? The dirt would cake on and choke the engine out. There are applications for K&N filters and there are applications you would not want to use them. Dirt bikes being one of them.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
Hummm???? This makes my head hurt. Why would you run a oiled filter on a dirt bike???? The dirt would cake on and choke the engine out. There are applications for K&N filters and there are applications you would not want to use them. Dirt bikes being one of them.
That's funny.........Why do we use filter oil.............. I run Maxima filter oil on my air filter on my dirt bike.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
For your info I am the one who told Tim this information.We have had on more than several occasions "dusted" engines.We torn the engine down and actually have pits in the cylinders.I do run a K&N on my 5.0 coupe but it also sees very limited duty on the street and I am very meticulous with my maintenance.The majority of people aren't.In fact they put the K&N on and more or less forget about it.I WILL not run them on my daily drivers.Since most people will read this and think I am full of crap then ask yourself why you never see anyone run a K&N on a dirt bike?...................
so you're gonna tell me a CAI will make your car dusted? Heres an idea... lets not drive all over gravel roads with a filter in an area that would collect dust.

I still dont buy this "Im not getting a CAI" thing

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not saying your right or wrong about CAI's, but K&N has started making filters for dirt bikes. I have a twin air on my YZ 250, but I think one filter is as good as another on a dirt bike, even the stock ones, but from what I've heard the knew K&N's are suppose to be pretty good, I've been thinking about getting one, they sure look different than the traditional dirt bike air filter.
K&N Dirt Bike & Motocross MX XStream Motorcycle Air Filters
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I try to clean and oil my filter after every ride, if not then every other. This is very important on a dirt bike.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I am simply amazed by this thread and really do not know what to say.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
That's funny.........Why do we use filter oil.............. I run Maxima filter oil on my air filter on my dirt bike.
Just me but I personally would not have used a oil type filter on any of my dirt bikes because of the environment.

But thast just me.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Good for you!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
I try to clean and oil my filter after every ride, if not then every other. This is very important on a dirt bike.
Clean and oil your filter after every ride???? That would get annoying for the minimal gain of having a oiled filter. Would you do that with your car????
Old 07-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #25

Quote:
I do see people running K&N filters on dirtbikes, they are just not as common because foam is easier and quicker to clean.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just me but I personally would not have used a oil type filter on any of my dirt bikes because of the environment.

But thast just me.
Ask anyone that currently rides and races their bike if they oil their air filter.This is a dense foam air filter that all dirt bikes are equipped with.

I am by no means denying that there are gains to be made with the addition of a CAI or a K&N air filter. It has been dyno proven that there is. I am simply stating that what let's in more air will let in more dirt.If any else wishes to think I am full of **** then go drive your car on a beach with your K&N. Remove your filter when done and look in your intake inlet.The results may suprise you..............
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

It makes sense to me.
You can't have more airlow without less filtration.
I just don't think it's a huge difference.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
It makes sense to me.
You can't have more airlow without less filtration.
I just don't think it's a huge difference.
CAI's work not by filtering less but by allowing air to be filtered over a much larger suface area. Same filtering, just less air has to be pulled through each small hole. The stock airbox only has about a 3" hole that air is passed through. That's the resriction that's being avoided by the installation of a CAI. Plus the air can be pulled through the filter all the way around instead of just through the part of the filter across from the hole. That's why the stock cone airfilter never gets dirty except for one spot where all the air comes in.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang