Mechanical Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Mechanical Problem

My wife turned on the car in the morning to take it and says she noticed a pop, validity questionable, anyhow she called me complaining bout not being able to turn the wheel when backing out. I didn't think it was anything but something definitely has failed. The car had O2 sensor problems before and I never replaced it so the service engine light was always on. When I turned it on today the service engine light was replaced w/ the battery light. I did change my light bulb socket recently but made sure I reconnected right and tight. I tried backing out and it feels like the power steering failed or maybe theres not enough power to run it. I tried the AC and it sounds like the compressor turns on but doesn't stay on. The rpms jump to 900 then quickly quiet down to 700. It idles quietly and the AC never gets cold...something is wrong, what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Mechanical Problem

Anybody have any ideas of what could be wrong with it?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Do you have a voltage light on? Pop the hood.. is the serp belt on? that'd be the quickest bet if AC and power steering both failed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The battery light is on. That does make sense. I looked at the battery terminals and didn't notice the belts cuz it was dark, but I'll check on it when I get home. I hope that's what it is and not something more serious. If it is, wow, your a freakin pro.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It is the belt it's loose and tangled a bit. I gave myself an idea just by looking over it but would like some feedback of how to place it in place. I think there's some wort of tensioner that can be loosened by loosening a screw from something that looks like a handle of a manual window (tensioner I think). If this IS correct how to I determine the tightness of the belt?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
Do you have a voltage light on? Pop the hood.. is the serp belt on? that'd be the quickest bet if AC and power steering both failed..
Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

tensioner : not too sure on the 3.9's but its either 3/8" ratchet/extension or a 13 or 15 millimeter wrench on a head of a bolt - typically turn the nut clockwise to move the tensioner.. like I said though I can't visualize a 3.8/9's tensioner

that's what a typical ford tensioner looks like, you grip the bolt (or use the indentation) on the pulley itself to move it..

a better question though is.. why is your belt so loose? chances are the spring in the tensioner snapped.. so there's no longer tension applied.. best way to check is to see how much movement you can get out of it by hand

good luck.. hope I made sense

BTW there is -or should be- a diagram somewhere's visible in your engine bay that shows proper belt routing
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah there's no hand movement on the tensioner so I need to loosen it. I tried but I think none of the sockets I had fit. Since you said 3/8, 13 or 15 all of which I got I will try again. The bolt is too big. Also the belt's route was lossed and it doesn't have a diagram in the engine bay.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

there's a reason the belt came off.. it doesn't just fall off.. something's wrong somewhere's.. in the daylight check out all the pulleys, make sure none are broken or siezed before you try and get the belt back on
Old 07-25-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Every pulley looks good and so does the belt. I don't know why it came off cuz there's a good 3 inches of tension between how far I can stretch the belt to getting it over the tension pulley. The bold on the tension pulley seems to be about an 18 maybe 19mm. There's also a funny looking star shape indented bolt at the center of the tensioner's arm. I thought that's what I was suppose to loosen so I'm not sure. I need something like a 5 or 6 star phillips screwdriver to loosen that one up. If I call my mechanic I'm sure he'll charge at least $40 for the home visit. I need some help. I will get the sockets from work tomorrow. Is anyone sure of the size of that bolt? Is it a 17mm type number or a fraction type like 1/2''?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

that star shaped bolt is a torx drive bolt.. that holds the whole tensioner assembly to the front of the engine, and you shouldn't have to loosen that to rotate the tensioner - only to replace it.. and sorry on the bolt size.. I didn't realize they were that large
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to get some sockets today from work and you are sure that I don't need the torx drive bolt. I think that by loosening that bolt through the center of the pulley that would remove the pulley. What I need to do is move the tensioner arm, held in position w/ that torx bolt, towards the center of the engine bay to fit the belt around.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
there's a reason the belt came off.. it doesn't just fall off.. something's wrong somewhere's.. in the daylight check out all the pulleys, make sure none are broken or siezed before you try and get the belt back on
do you think the belt has been stretched and should be replaced anyways?

Hell I'll come down and put your belt on for free if you pay me a few bucks for gas.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'll give you $20 if you come down and are sucessful in putting it back in place. I remember you trying to sell your tuner also so give me a price I may be in good situation to buy it if you haven't sold it yet in a few weeks
Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I fixed it yesterday. The size of the bolt center of the pulley is an 18mm as I thought. The hard part that I couldn't understand was that the tensioner pivots at the torx bolt center and the belt is adjust automatically from the spring that the tensioner has. That's pretty cool I thought. I got it on and seems to be working fine...I brought it to work today. I love my car
Old 07-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

Hey, I'm a mechanic so here's some advice.

Glad you got the belt on the tensioner, however you probably need a new tensioner and that's why the belt came off. Either that or you need a new Idler pulley. Take your socket and release the tension off the belt and pull the belt out of the way so that when you let go of the tensioner it doesn't pull the belt tight again. Spin the idler pulley (the pulley at the top of the motor that isn't hooked up to anything) while the belt is off and listen to it. If it makes a loud whirring noise while it's spinning, or if you can wiggle it back and forth more than 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch the bearings are junk and you need a new one. The other thing you should check is to make sure that the pulley on the tensioner also doesn't wobble or sound really loud. Then make sure that you can't pry the arm of the tensioner away from the motor. It should only be able to rotate, not flex away from or toward the front of the motor.

Any of those things could be why the belt came off. It could also be that your belt is stretched and you need a new one of those.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang