sct xcal2 installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy
sct xcal2 installed

wow, is this great... ran a friends gt, and was able to keep with him. to all v6 owners... this is a must. im running everything stock, with 17 inch rims/tires k&n air filter... thats all performance wise.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: sct xcal2 installed

go to the track and let us know what it actually did
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

what year GT was it? and can he drive?

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

it was a 99 3.8 liter, then he dropped a 03 gt engine in it with all built internals and under body. just the fact that i can keep up with him is good enough for me
Old 07-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

not to call you a liar, but i doubt that if he can drive, a 99+GT should be in the 14's and you should be somewhere in the 15's

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!

he has a few problems under the hood... trans.leak andoil leaks if that would slow him down any.... i dunno what else could be wrong, but i was def. on him.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

if its an auto gt you could probably stick within a car or two till 80........then he'll throw a couple on you after that........

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor View Post
not to call you a liar, but i doubt that if he can drive, a 99+GT should be in the 14's and you should be somewhere in the 15's
i wouldnt doubt this if its an auto gt.......the guy that does the tunework to our cars is very skilled at it. i have stuck door to door down low with an 02 auto GT and lost by ~3 cars from 0-130
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
Road Trip!

well, technically can't call it race... due to not even going 0-??, and thrashing through traffic.... but stickin with him diving in an out, and not falling behind like i would b4 the tune, is great
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
well, technically can't call it race... due to not even going 0-??, and thrashing through traffic.... but stickin with him diving in an out, and not falling behind like i would b4 the tune, is great

for "thrashing through traffic"...........hasnt herbstang taught you anything?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
Road Trip!

i was excited... 8)
Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Road Trip!

i am detonating a little due to my shell gas so im on 93 safe, couldn't do aggressive until im pure chevron... we did the aggressive and was detonating like a mofo
Old 07-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well, technically can't call it race...

Quote:
ran a friends gt, and was able to keep with him.

sounds like you did
Old 07-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i am detonating a little due to my shell gas so im on 93 safe, couldn't do aggressive until im pure chevron... we did the aggressive and was detonating like a mofo

yes please run chevron, i had a tip in ping with shell gas..............shell gas aint worth a **** with cody's tune. i could probaby drop a deuce in my gas tank and it wont ping as much as shell gas will
Old 07-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #14
Road Trip!

ran him utnil the police on bikes, so we went on jefferson and thrashed through traffic
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang View Post
i could probaby drop a deuce in my gas tank and it wont ping as much as shell gas will
******?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
******?
no.................deuce
Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #17
Road Trip!

sorry don't understand

slow
Old 07-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sorry don't understand
meaning i could take a **** in my gas tank and it not ping as much as shell gas
Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #19
Road Trip!

lmaooo ohhh ok a number 2 8P
Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lmaooo ohhh ok a number 2 8P

:thumbs2:
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #21
Road Trip!

good deal... yea i just always used shell cuz i have a card... but thinking about it, i remember driving on the interstate to Thibodaux... and i heard the same noise... i wonder hwo long ive had this detonation goign on
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:

good deal... yea i just always used shell cuz i have a card... but thinking about it, i remember driving on the interstate to Thibodaux... and i heard the same noise... i wonder hwo long ive had this detonation goign on
I run bp all the time. Then again...it's the cheapest in town, and right beside my work. When I'm on the road I fill up at whatever station comes up when I need gas. I've never really noticed any difference in any gas. I fill up with citgo back home b/c it's by the rent's house. Normally it's just whatever is convenient.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I run bp all the time. Then again...it's the cheapest in town, and right beside my work. When I'm on the road I fill up at whatever station comes up when I need gas. I've never really noticed any difference in any gas. I fill up with citgo back home b/c it's by the rent's house. Normally it's just whatever is convenient.
Even before I was re-tuned, I used shell all the time and was getting some detonation. Re-tuned with a new tuner and the SCT thinking something changed...still detonated. Put chevron in...no detonation. I think shell over here has some bad gas...or something.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

n00b
Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at an SCT tuner the other day, but Im new to tuners so I have a few questions. Do tunes increase power along with mpg? Is it a bad thing to do on an engine with around 70K miles? I noticed the advertisement said it came with one tune. Does that mean you can only change the settings on the car once and you're stuck with that?
00StangV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00StangV6 View Post
I was looking at an SCT tuner the other day, but Im new to tuners so I have a few questions. Do tunes increase power along with mpg? Is it a bad thing to do on an engine with around 70K miles? I noticed the advertisement said it came with one tune. Does that mean you can only change the settings on the car once and you're stuck with that?
Tunes do increase power and CAN increase your MPG if the tune is designed for that. You can do both really...a tune can decrease MPG or increase depending on how aggressive you get with it.

It is not a bad thing to do to your engine at all. It could harm your engine if you have a bad tune, but you should choose a reputible tuner which we can point you to many if you ask. Beyond that, it lets your engine run with the appropriate parameters for your car and any mods you have made. The stock tune from ford is one that lets them pass certain requirements as well as to make the car as "reliable" as possible. Basically, they over correct for possible problems since the cars go to difference climates. it is a one size fits all type of tune. The XCal will let you dial your car into your climate and such.

It comes with a tune, but it is a canned tune really. It will help some, but it is best to have one custom made for your car by a reputible shop as previously mentioned. You will get the most out of the XCal this way. Basically how it works is this. The XCal2 can hold up to 3 tunes in addition to your stock tune. You transfer a tune from the Xcal to your car. If you decide you don't want to run that tune anymore, you can then transfer any one of the other 3 tunes (including the original stock tune) to you car at any time. You are not locked into anything. You can return your car to stock at any time you see fit to do so. You can install another tune at any time. You can make changes to your tune at anytime. It is very flexible.

Does any of that help?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

Would a shop charge extra to custom tune your car and w/ the mods I got so far is it worth getting a custom tune?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
I wanted to tune my car and was wondering if I can adjust my tune through the mods that I continue to make w/ this tuner. Like if I do something major to my car can I go back in there and change the settings to get the right tune? What's the price on this tuner?
You can change the tune any time you want. You are never locked into a single set of values. Just plug the tuner in, make the changes, voila. This of course should only be done if you know what you are doing. I know nothing when it comes to timing degrees and all the other values in there, so I let someone who does know do it for me.

So, when you mod your car, you mod your tune for it as well. The XCal 2 will also let you install the wideband commander so you can datalog it directly as you drive as well. Just a cool little perk if you buy the commander.

The cost of the unit will vary from 379 - 479 from what I have seen. VMPTuning (one of our vendors) has it for 379 last I checked. I think it might even come with custom tunes for your setup, but you will want to check with them about.

You can also find it for sale on various forums. That is how I bought mine and how Cajun bought his (thanks to me). If you do buy it used, make sure you buy it un-married from another car because once you tune a car with one, it locks itself to that car until you return that car back to stock...so you can't go sharing your tune with all your buddies...
Old 07-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #29
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
Would a shop charge extra to custom tune your car and w/ the mods I got so far is it worth getting a custom tune?
A shop would charge for tuning...most are $125 and include a year or lifetime updates depending on the shop. Even if you are stock, it is worth the tune just to wake the car up.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So how much money are we talking if I would get the tuner with a tune for power and another for something such as better gas mileage or something? Also, if I ran a tune for power around the city, but decided I wanted to go to the beach, could I switch to a better mpg tune for the trip and switch back to power when I returned home? In other words, could I re-use a tune? The tune wouldn't run a higher risk of damaging or even blowing my engine? Thanks, your last post was very insightful.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #31
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00StangV6 View Post
So how much money are we talking if I would get the tuner with a tune for power and another for something such as better gas mileage or something? Also, if I ran a tune for power around the city, but decided I wanted to go to the beach, could I switch to a better mpg tune for the trip and switch back to power when I returned home? In other words, could I re-use a tune? The tune wouldn't run a higher risk of damaging or even blowing my engine? Thanks, your last post was very insightful.
The hand held device stores 3 custom tunes. To upload a tune, you plug it into your ODB-II port (down by your gas pedal) and upload the tune. When you decide you need a MPG tune, you upload that tune into your car the same way. What happens is, it over writes what is in your car. It does not delete anything from the tuner tho. So, even thought you put one in your car, you still have 3 in your hand held device. These are at your disposal anytime you want to change them around. As long as the tune was created properly, you will not hurt your engine....unless your MPG tune is for 87 octane and you upload your power tune (which may require 93 octane) with a full tank of 87.

Basically, you can swap tunes as much as or less than you change underware. The only thing you need to make sure of, is that you don't upload a tune that requires higher octane that you have in your tank.

EDIT: As for the money, if you get them from someone like VMP and the like, you will get all 3 tunes included in the price of the tuner if you buy the tuner from them. Otherwise, you will typically look at about 100-125 total for the tunes. Check out vmptuning.com (I think that is their web site) and you should be able to see their pricing layout there.

EDIT 2: It is 399 for the tuner and 3 custom tunes from VMP. VMP Tuning Inc: Custom Tuned X-Calibrator V2 for NA or Factory SC Vehicle
Old 07-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #32
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I have just sent this thread to the VMP guys so they can chime in here with any additional...or maybe correctional...information as well. :beer:
Old 07-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #33
Road Trip!

yea trust me... well worth it, rob post the link to kyle racing the spec v and me chasing.... tell him the story
Old 07-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yeah, look for the thread with the spec v race that I started. 04stang has exhaust and UDP and CAI and tune...the chase car is stock pretty much. You will see the chase car fall behind very quickly. That is pretty much the difference between a stocker and a tuned car.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Well, Im seriously considering getting one for my car if it makes my car more reliable. So once you get the tuner you just plug it in to your ecu(?) and select the tune and it automatically uploads? Are there any disclosed or small advantages to getting a tune? Sry to ask so many questions, I just want to know all aspects before I invest in one?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang