Dual Exhaust Conversion Info - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
Dual Exhaust Conversion Info

Thanks in advance, guys. I'm "ticked" at Ford for not putting dual exhaust on our V-6 4.0's. Lesser V-6's have 'em....what's up with that!! Anyway...I have about 2000 mi. on my '07 Ponycar stick shift and am happy about everything except that stinkin' single exhaust pipe....I've listened to all of you guys that went to the trouble to send in sound clips of your dual conversions (thanks) and I don't want loud (I work nightshift) so I think, from what I've read & heard, the GT Takeoff's are the way to go. I would really appreciate a little more info as I make the change over to duals. a) What are GT Takeoff's? Do you get them from Ford from the GT V-8's or aftermarket and by what mfg?
b) What about back pressure? (Don't want to hurt performance in anyway)
What diameter pipe would work best or are they all a standard size?
c) Should I consider having them install an X pipe as well. Any other advice from my fellow V-6ers would be very welcome. Thanks again & drive safe.:drive:

2008 Mustang Bullitt*Brenspeed Performance Tune
Pype's Violators Axle Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIjQXCVhto
greaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
Re: Dual Exhaust Conversion Info

a.) they are just the pipes/mufflers taken off a gt ...generally for my model there are plenty of people wanting to sell their exhaust off of their gt so people buy them from other people, but idk about getting takeoffs from ford..someone else can chime in.

b.) for my 3.8 2.25" pipes were recommended..but all gt's have a standard size..im not sure exactly what it is, but you'll be fine running those..and i know with mine it felt way less restricted

c.) An x pipe might change the exhaust tone a little, but it wont yield a lot of hp gains for a stock car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

I put the JBA duals on my 05 and they sound really good . I used the kit that y's after the factory Y. its not obnoxious at all . in fact it kinda has a 60's english sports car sound . I kept my original bumper cover and just notched it for the left pipe . I keep thinking of adding an X pipe but i hear that it doesn't make much difference . anyone have input on that ? I also put the JBA shorty headers on . really an easy installation as headers go . took about 3 hours and a 6 pack .
gasman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Gt take off mufflers and true duals with an X pipe is the best set up in my book, cheap, easy to do, quiet but a nice stock V8 sound.
Although the X pipe really makes no difference in hp it does even out the sound to both mufflers and eliminates that ssssss sound I got when I first had the true duals made up without the X. Any muffler shop can do it and an X pipe cut from a stock system is cheap enough, I paid $15.00 for mine on E bay.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

We found that there is a 8-10rwhp increase in just swapping the V6 muffler out for the GT muffler. Sounds better also, but isnt too loud.

We did some testing on the dyno, the stock exhaust (minus the muffler) flows nicely if you stay NA.

www.VMPTuning.com - SCT Chips, Flashers, and Dynotuning.
Phone: 321-206-9369
Email: Jason@VMPTuning.com
JasonVMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

I have brand new offroad x-pipe and 2 - 40 series flowmasters for sale if anybody is looking.
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #7

HEEEEEEELP!!!! Things are getting wierd. I was suppose to have my local performance shop install a set of GT Takeoffs from an '05 GT that this guy already had leftover from a previous job. When he put my '07 V-6 Pony Package on the lift he said they won't work. Is this possible????
Did Ford make some exhaust changes on the new model this year (2007) or is this guy making a mistake? Does anyone out there have any info or perhaps is there another '07 V-6 owner that has changed over to dual exhaust who may have encountered similar issues. "Dazed & confused in muffler-hell".
Thanks guys. The Greaser-Drive Safe 2:

Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No exhaust changes that I could see looking under a 07 V6? what did he say the problem was? up front or in the rear. Rear fitment looks the same to me, tank is the same, rear end is the same, suspension has not changed. I am baffled (PUN). I will take a better look tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #9

On the "pony-package', which I have...Ford added a rear anti-sway bar for 2007 (maybe other year V-6's too...I dunno what else. But the guy at the muffler shop (who I trust and works on high performance cars)wanted to mount up two GT Takeoff mufflers (he already had) but he said something about the mounting brackets were wrong. Did you have GT Takeoffs installed on a 2007?
He suggested waiting a month or two until Magnaflow comes out with a Cat-Back kit for the 07's. He made a phone call to another guy he knew, who suggested the same thing. I would send you a picture of the under-carriage but I'm not allowed to add attachments on this site for some reason. Every other site but not here. What's up with that. Do I have to pay to join or something? Still in muffler hell.:woo:

Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

no, u dont have to pay...u sure you were doing it right??

there are mufflers out there that sound better on a v6 than gt takeoffs imo.

If you want magnaflows that sounds like a good option...i found a local shop that had some mufflers (not flowmasters or "turbos") but he called them more of flowmasters for a v6. He called them mellowtones and they are very moderate and sound great. You could see what local shops have. If you're set on gt takeoffs i'd just go for those but im just saying there are other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, many options but I still can't figure out why the take offs won't work as the Gt has a bigger rear and sway bar. It sounds to me like he just wants to sell you a more expensive set up. Any shop with a tube bender and welder would have no problem mounting these??? My whole setup with duals tips and X pipe plus labor was under $250.00 and looks stock.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I added a gt sway bar on my 05 and had no problem at all with clearance . I have the jba duals but the mufflers fit in the stock GT location and the pipes appear to only have one way to route . I dont see where there would be a problem .
Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #13

Thanks for all the info....I decided on another shop. Ordered a Magnaflow dual set-up...supposed to be in next week. Was wondering...any of you guys ever encounter any problems with the "check-engine-light" coming on when using a catback dual with X pipe set up? A Ford tech told me this was a real problem with older model Mustangs...had to install MIL-something or other.
Please advise. Thanks Guys

Old 08-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

i haven't had any check engine light problem with any of my mods , headers , exhaust or cold air intake. The V6 is supposedly more forgiving than the GT .
Old 10-26-2006, 01:39 AM   #15

Region: Illinois

hey guys im new here, but the GT takeoffs will work on the 07s i have one, and have it done. Also i know it works, im a mechanic at car boutique, where i have done this a couple times already
torched07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

My 06 pony pkg also has a sway bar, I had GT mufflers, that is all you get, on it, they worked fine, he would have to make a left side pipe, the Y has to be cut and join the stock right side and the shop made left side pipe to the cut Y, there is NO REASON the mufflers won't work. OH yeah, the 05+ V6 Mustangs came from the factory with 2.5 inch exhaust systems, I see no reason to change that.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #17

Thought I'd let everyone know how I made out with my dual exhaust install. I went with the Magnaflow Cat-Back system with an X pipe also from Magnaflow BUT I ordered the system for a Mustang GT with the baffled mufflers which IMO have very little highway drone and look very intimidating from the rear and sound strong at WOT. Bolted right up with the purchase of a set of GT drivers side muffler hangers and I used a dremel tool to cut out the left side bumper. Here's a video I made of the set-up. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Welding in X pipe.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	15142   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT Magnaflow Install 2.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	15143  

Name:	GT Magnaflow Installed.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	15144   Click image for larger version

Name:	MagnaBolds.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	15145  

Name:	Magnaflow GT.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	15146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnaflow X Pipe 2.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	15147  

Name:	Magna-Bolds.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	15148   Click image for larger version

Name:	At Work.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	15149  

Name:	Magnaflow GT Duals.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	15150  

Old 11-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

Unless its something new, Mac and Flowmaster mufflers are baffled, Magnaflow, Borla, and others are straight thru mufflers.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #19

Region: Louisiana

i have the trueduals from jba installed with the h pipe and it went on with out a hitch. the only cheesy part was the clamp over the h-pipe. shop welded instead of using the clamp that was too big. painted them black like the flow-masters . they are not loud at all and have really helped on the performance.
stang05blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust