Tuner questions. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Tuner questions.

So lately ive been doin some reading on tuners and chips and am borderline just ordering an SCT tuner. However, im not sure how it works. Can anyone tune their car? Or do u gtta have some experience to do it? I mean im pretty good with computers but not to savvy on my stang (YET!!!!!!). Am i better off just gettin a chip installed or get it tuned at a shop or should i get the tuner? RPMOUTLET.com is offering a UDP system with the belt and with and SCT tuner for 499.99... is that a good deal http://rpmoutlet.com/newv6m.htm? Any other suggestions for tuners or w.e would be greatly appreciated. Im a lil lost (as usual) so i figured id come to the pros. Thnx in advance guys.
iceman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Tuner questions.

#1.) Avoid RPM outhouse like the plague.

With that said. Anyone can tune their car with a SCT tuner IF they know how to properly adjust timing, fuel, etc, etc. If you are not car savy, I would say do NOT try to tune the car yourself as you will almost certainly blow it up. It doesn't matter that you know computers, fuel and timing curves are something very unrelated to computers.

You would be much better off getting the SCT XCal 2 Tuner because it is much easier to update than a chip. You just tweak parameters and re-upload it into your car and you are all set. A chip requires you take it out, reburn it, put it back in. Plus there are a lot of shops that do SCT tuning (VMP is over near you in florida somewhere).

The deal you are seeing from RPM outhouse looks good on the surface until you realize you have a tuner with no tune on it. Then you need to go to a shop where they will charge you 100+ for a basic setup. However, if you buy the XCal 2 from VMP (one of our sponsors), you are looking at $399 and that includes 3 custom tunes for your car so all you need to do is upload the one you want to use. Oh yeah, that is the other benefit...you can store 3 different tunes on the Xcal, so you can hot-swap from a tune for high MPG and then one for racing....just plug in, upload, go.

Check out this thread starting with post 25 and you will get a lot of questions answered. http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...highlight=xcal

If there is something not answered in my comments or that thread, throw out your question and either someone will answer it, or I will send VMP in here to give you the proper answer.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #3

Thnx for the insight and the heads up on rpmoutlet. I ordered a K&N intake from them and it came out good, so i figured id go with them. (A lil off topic but hows their UDP kit look to u). So if i buy the tuner with preloaded tunes, is it ez to load them in? Or is it creating the tunes that requires knowledge? I mean, how difficult is it to learn the device? And i read in a few places (correct me if im wrong) that they can email u the custom tunes and u can store it on ur comp, then syncronize the comp with the tuner and then upload it to the car? Is this true and is it ez? Also, is there any software and hardware out there that u can use to connect ur laptop to ur car to do diagnostics or maybe even tune??? im just throwin it out there cuz it seems pretty possible. Thanx again for ur insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman08 View Post
So if i buy the tuner with preloaded tunes, is it ez to load them in? Or is it creating the tunes that requires knowledge? I mean, how difficult is it to learn the device? And i read in a few places (correct me if im wrong) that they can email u the custom tunes and u can store it on ur comp, then syncronize the comp with the tuner and then upload it to the car? Is this true and is it ez? Also, is there any software and hardware out there that u can use to connect ur laptop to ur car to do diagnostics or maybe even tune??? im just throwin it out there cuz it seems pretty possible. Thanx again for ur insight.
If you buy a tuner with preloaded tunes for your car, it's very easy to tune your car. All you have to do is plug in the connector to the computer port under your driverside dash and press a few buttons and follow the instructions, very easy to do.
And yes, you can connect the tuner to your computer with a normal usb cord in order to upload datalogging or to download new/updated tunes and updates for the software on the tuner.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Like Lowflyn said, yes, you can connect the XCal 2 to your laptop with a simple USB cable and datalog a number of parameters and review it all later. It will also allow you to datalog the Air fuel if you buy a wide band commander at a later date. It is a very versitile device.

As for changing tunes...it takes about 5 minutes if you take your time. After a few times through, it will probably take you about 1-2 minutes.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
Like Lowflyn said, yes, you can connect the XCal 2 to your laptop with a simple USB cable and datalog a number of parameters and review it all later. It will also allow you to datalog the Air fuel if you buy a wide band commander at a later date. It is a very versitile device.

As for changing tunes...it takes about 5 minutes if you take your time. After a few times through, it will probably take you about 1-2 minutes.
I can swap tunes before the tank fills up with gas, not hard at all once you learn how.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Lol, the longest part is just loading the new one.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^ Exactly.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

We can match the RPM outlet deal, and we are actually a real tuning shop with several dynos and experience tuning Fords, especially V6s (its hard to find shops with V6 experience).

On a stock V6 you'll see a gain of 7-12 HP and 7-12 TQ at the wheels. The power is gained under the curve too (not just peak) so its a very noticeable difference. The speed limiter can be removed too. If you have an auto the car will shift much better with our tune. Throttle response will also be much better.

Its very easy to flash the car with the x-cal2, and you can call us if you have any questions while doing it.
2006 F250 CC 4x4 6.0L 14.3 @ 93
2006 Mustang 4.0 M5 Vortech 13psi 395RWHP/374RWTQ wife's car
justin00stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #10

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin00stang View Post
We can match the RPM outlet deal, and we are actually a real tuning shop with several dynos and experience tuning Fords, especially V6s (its hard to find shops with V6 experience).

On a stock V6 you'll see a gain of 7-12 HP and 7-12 TQ at the wheels. The power is gained under the curve too (not just peak) so its a very noticeable difference. The speed limiter can be removed too. If you have an auto the car will shift much better with our tune. Throttle response will also be much better.

Its very easy to flash the car with the x-cal2, and you can call us if you have any questions while doing it.
Definatly go with Justin if you want a tune. He is great at tunning our cars, and he will wok with you to get the most out of your car.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

+ 1 Justin tuned my V-6 !! The man knows his tunes

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 PM   #12

Cool Re: Tuner questions.

I really appreciate everyones input on the subject. And thanx to smurfin and justin for ur input at thoughts. Im definitely gonna b ordering from vmptuning when im ready to get it. Is there anything else i should kno. Again guys, thanx, u were all really helpful and insightful.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

Hey what's wrong with RPM? Er.. wait, is that different than RPM as in Redlined Performance Mustangs?

Cause I've gotten my heads and gaskets and cam through That RPM and he's awesome.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

Yes it's a different place.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Hey what's wrong with RPM? Er.. wait, is that different than RPM as in Redlined Performance Mustangs?

Cause I've gotten my heads and gaskets and cam through That RPM and he's awesome.
Yes, RPM Outhouse is properly known as RPMOutlet ... They suck donkey balls. Your RPM is
Old 08-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington

I'll throw in another for Justin at VMPTuning.com..... The difference was amazing, and the x-calV2 tuner was very easy to use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang