Loss Torque With Duals...Help!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
Loss Torque With Duals...Help!?

My '07 V-6 Pony is sick. I put Magnaflow dual GT cat back (not magnapacks) with "X" pipe and I've lost the snap she had in third before the install. No doubt about it. Magnaflow now tells me I should have kept the "Y" pipe set up to avoid loss of back pressure. No other mods. The tech said a CAI won't cure the problem and I won't take the chance on an SCT tune that may give Ford a chance to void my warranty. Need some help guys...thanks so much.
BTW really sounds strong, not loud at idle and not much more drone than stock, but when I get on it....WOW! P.S. Thanks for the advice on oil use...Mobile 1 all the way.:woo:

2008 Mustang Bullitt*Brenspeed Performance Tune
Pype's Violators Axle Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIjQXCVhto
greaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Loss Torque With Duals...Help!?

the car may feel slower but it may in fact be faster, you just moved your power band up~ maybe to far~ if you keep 2.25 inch pipe on your duals you should be fine.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Actually you lose very little torque. Now that the car breaths and exhales better the torque has shifted up the powerband. I would consider getting a CAI and some gears then get a SCT chip. I would not worry about the snap you seem to be missing in third. Are you street racing or going to the track???

Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Did you go to 2 1/2 pipes ?? Just a thought When I installed the dual system on my 04 the power and torque went from low end to mid range

A common misconception is that the larger the diameter, the better the system. But, bigger isn't always better. Systems that are too large in diameter can actually hurt low-end performance.

keep in mind that if you increase the pipe diameter too large, then you have a much larger area the exiting exhaust must cover. If the engine pushes out "X" amount of exhaust, and the exhaust is too large and the exhaust exiting the engine cannot fill the pipe, it cools quickly, slows down, and causes a restriction also. The hotter you can keep the exhaust, the faster and easier it flows. This is one of the reasons why an off-road pipe loses some low-end but gains more top-en

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #5

Thanks guys, you always come thru. The exhaust for the S197 05 to 07 Mustang's are using 2.5 inch pipes (at least mine was) and that's what Magnaflow sent in the cat-back kit. I must say (it's a 5 speed stick shift) she still moves out pretty fast, I just noticed while cruising in traffic in third I used to be able to tap the gas pedal and the front end would imediately raise up ready for action and now that it no longer does this I thought something was wrong. But hearing about the power band shifting higher makes sense and I really don't want the hassle and expence of redoing my exhaust all over. If you guys seem to think everything is normal, I might live with a little less torque in the lower rpm band until my warranty concerns are over and I get what I really want as far as mods. An SCT bamachip tune, AEM Brute Force CAI, 3.73 gears w/TLOC and a better shifter-missed third twice..hate that when it happens. Thanks Guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear GT Magnafow 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	14320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magna-Bolds.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	14321  

Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I Hear ya !! I blow my warrenty 1 months after I got my 04 first came the duals and short throw next the SCT chip,UDP and t-lok 3:73
If you don't do alot of highway travel you might want to look into 4:10 Wish I had got the 4:10

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #7

Unfortunately, I've got an 80 mile roundtrip commute each and every day. Another good reason I decided to go with the V-6.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

2 more mpg ftw! lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #9

Region: Canada

I don't know anything about the SCT chips but if you use a diablo preditor computer it saves the factory tune and you can set up 3 of your own if anything was to ever happen to the car you just set the stock tune back and ford will never be able to tell the difference. Actually I just have a totaly stock v6 and with putting a CAI and the preditor in it will give me almost the same hp and tq as a gt
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnuts View Post
I don't know anything about the SCT chips but if you use a diablo preditor computer it saves the factory tune and you can set up 3 of your own if anything was to ever happen to the car you just set the stock tune back and ford will never be able to tell the difference. Actually I just have a totaly stock v6 and with putting a CAI and the preditor in it will give me almost the same hp and tq as a gt
All chips have the ability to have several tunes. SCT happens to have the best database of Ford cars and a great network of local tuners with access to that database. But in reality a good tune can use any chip and do well. SCT just happens to be the best for Fords period.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:43 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnuts View Post
on the butt dyno maybe. real world, no.

you might gain a few ponies and some better throttle response, but as far as gains over the entire spectrum, maybe 10hp to the wheels. and that would include things like cai, full headerback exhaust, udp's, plenum/tb, dynotune for the whole setup, and this is concerning a GT.

whenever you decrease the backpressure on a naturally aspirated car, you move the torque curve up. backpressure aids in the scavenging of exhaust gases which is what helps the bottom end of the spectrum.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #12

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude View Post
on the butt dyno maybe. real world, no.

you might gain a few ponies and some better throttle response, but as far as gains over the entire spectrum, maybe 10hp to the wheels. and that would include things like cai, full headerback exhaust, udp's, plenum/tb, dynotune for the whole setup, and this is concerning a GT.
No it said BWH not from the engine dyno but BWH. I've got 210hp and 240tq a CAI can add a bit and the chip will add a good amount the gt's only have 300hp so its not like its much to have to gain to catch up
Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

CAI does help! I have factory duals, from a stock GT, the left side pipe is custom made, used the right side stock one. The stock system is 2.5 inch, why go smaller than stock? I didn't feel any torque loss with my duals at all.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang