Next? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Next?

Hey guys, I figured I would introduce myself to the v6 forums.. I saw you guys .. maybe on a link from sn95forums or on stang net... I have a 98 blue mustang convert v6... Just got installed my new flows 2.5' dual exhaust. Also, I have cold air intake coming in the mail which my friend is going to install.

My question for you guys is.. whats the next step? What should I work for next?
dew4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Next?

rear end gears with a tlok would be my choice for the next step. You will also need a speedcal to correct the speedometer unless your year car is not compatable with it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
rear end gears with a tlok would be my choice for the next step. You will also need a speedcal to correct the speedometer unless your year car is not compatable with it.
Ok, I know what the gears are but could yu clear me up on what the tlok and speedcal is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

TLok is ford's word for positive traction so that both wheels turn instead of just one when you break traction. In a stock V6 you have an open differential that basically means that the power will go to the path of least resistance, usually the passenger side wheel. So if you are putting power down and the tires break lose one side will spin while the other will not spin (Unless you do a massive burnout). A Traction Lock (TLok) unit uses clutches and gears around those clutches to equalize the pressure. When one axle is spun faster than the other the clutches apply equal pressure. This may sound odd as how can you still turn corners as one wheel must turn faster than the other? The clutches break loose at 250 or so FtLbs to allow this to happen, if you are going straight this wont be an issue.

The SpeedCal is the name for the Dallas SpeedCal unit. Basically you have a sensor on your transmission called the VSS sensor. It tells the car how faster the transmission is turning so it knows how fast the car is going. If you install new rear end gears the transmission turns the same but the rear tires turn faster. The rear gear ratios is the ratio that the rear tires turn in relationship to the driveshaft. So the higher the gear the more revolutions the rear tires make for every one full revolution of the driveshaft. This is how gears make your car accelerate faster. It takes less rotations of the engine (transmission, and driveshaft as well) to make the wheels turn. The negative side is it takes more RPM's to make you go faster so you generally lower your top speed, but not enough to every notice in your case (you will still be able to go faster than you need to). With out a speedcal unit your speedometer will be off a good bit, you will run miles up on your car faster, and you will not be able to over a given speed lower than your previous top cut off (80mph with 3.73s as an example). The speedcal intercepts that signal that tells the computer how fast the transmission is going and slows it down or speeds it up to that it is accurate with the rear gears (or for that matter the size of the rear tires that also offset the final gear ratio) to be accuratly interpreted. The speedcal alters the VSS sensor's information so it is accurate with the rear gear ratio and tire sizes you are running. The install is very easy, you basically put the speedcal unit inbetween the VSS sensor and the computer, its rather straight forward and takes no special tools to perform. The key is to ensure that the power wire that powers the speedcal is secure and will not come loose (use a sodering iron not the little pinch connector the speedcal gives). If the power wire comes loose the car does not know how to control the idle of the car in neutral and the rpms drop like a rock, the speedometer will not work either.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #5

Sounds pretty expensive.... lol... average cost?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

The ford TLok unit is under 200 dollars and the Ford Racing gears (only brand I would use as other brand can whine etc etc) are around 200 dollars also.

You will need bearings (possibly included with Tlok Im not sure) that will generally run you 60-80 dollars. The gears come with shims, the only other item you will need is rear end lubricant (4 bucks~) and I cant remember the gear oil weight, but its thick. Use a manual to obtain the correct gear lubricant. A TLok unit needs a friction modifyer (to help those clutches break loose when turning etc etc) that some gear oils have already and some do not so make sure you buy some friction modifyer if it is needed or oil that already has it. The shop you pay to install the gears generally takes care of this just remind them about the friction modifyer.

The install cost is the kicker, it can range from 175 dollars to 500 dollars. It all depends on where you go and how good they are at installing gears. You must make sure the place is reputable and will give you a warranty covering breakage and gear whine and other such issues that are install related (Get the warranty in writing as well...verbal warrantys are worthless)

Pay more to have it done right by a business rather than less to have it done wrong. When gears are installed wrong you have to replace everything to make it right which means a new set of gears, bearings, etc. So do it right the first time even if it costs more (with that said... if its expensive doesnt mean they will do a good job so check references and be very picky)

Afer all is said and done the improvment will be very impressive, far far more than any bolt on or every bolt on can muster. Your car should be half a second faster.

Some dont like building 7.5 inch rear ends (oem v6 rear end size as measured by the size of the pumpkin) due to the spider gears in the TLok or OEM differential unit are the weak links. They will buy GT 8.8 inch rear ends and bolt them in (direct bolt up). You might can fine one but it needs to be from YOUR year style aka 94-98.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Welcome. Please keep all feet/hands/limbs in general in the vehicle at all times. Thank you.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to mysteed

Welcome. Listen to SpectorV, he knows what he's talking about.

Got any pics of the stang?
mysteed is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang