P & P Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
P & P Question

Hey whats up. I am to be starting on my motor build tomorrow. I'm 2wks behind my original start date, but w/e. But my question is this....while I have my motor apart and building my bottom end. I am going to p & p my heads, upper, and lower intake. So, about how much of a power gain am I to expect?

I'm running a supercharged set up. Currently at 8lbs of boost. then moving to 14lbs of boost here soon. If this helps any.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: P & P Question

Have you built the bottom end? What are you driving? I wouldn't run much more than 8-10 without worrying about the bottom end. 14lbs would be very extreme for a GT or V6 setup.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

not yet. I'm fixing to tear into my motor tomorrow after work. 2001 Mustang V6. I'll be running 14lbs after I build it. Only during the tear down am I going to p and p the goods. So, about how much am I to expect in gain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Porting and polishing your top end is nice, but don't forget about getting a forged bottom end. If you don't, the motor probably won't last 3 days at 14lbs.
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...dInternals.pdf These are probably your best option for the build.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the power is in the cam, make SURE you get a nice custom grind for your given setup and lower that compression with forged internals then you should be good to go, get a forged crank if you can but if you stroke it to a 4.2 you may not can.

Ive heard Port/Polish doesnt do nearly as much on a forced induction setup~ but I could be WAY off, and I am sure a valve job will help as well.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Don't forget to get supporting mods such as fuel pumps & injectors
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So heres what I already have. I'm running an SVT focus fuel pump, 39lb injectors, diablo mafia M.A.I. as far as supporting mods are concerned. Forged bottom is on its way. Gotta get the motor apart 1st, but once thats completed. I'm going to go with Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe bottom end (forged-crank, conn. rods, and pistons).

I'd like to go with the bottom end that supersix has, I'm very familiar with supersix btw, but I simply do not have the funds for that, so SuperCoupe bottom end is going to have to do. I'd also like to do cam, but that = more $. And I already have a set amount already saved. So, what I have set back has to go a long way, cuz I have a LOT to get done, along with building the bottom end.

I work at a dealership here and both techs are recommending a 3 angle valve job once I get it apart.

Idk, I was just curious if you guys had any ideas of what I would expect once I do port and polish my heads, upper & lower intake. Are there any other tricks/mods that I could do that are free or low in cost when I have my motor apart?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004 View Post
So heres what I already have. I'm running an SVT focus fuel pump, 39lb injectors, diablo mafia M.A.I. as far as supporting mods are concerned. Forged bottom is on its way. Gotta get the motor apart 1st, but once thats completed. I'm going to go with Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe bottom end (forged-crank, conn. rods, and pistons).

I'd like to go with the bottom end that supersix has, I'm very familiar with supersix btw, but I simply do not have the funds for that, so SuperCoupe bottom end is going to have to do. I'd also like to do cam, but that = more $. And I already have a set amount already saved. So, what I have set back has to go a long way, cuz I have a LOT to get done, along with building the bottom end.

I work at a dealership here and both techs are recommending a 3 angle valve job once I get it apart.

Idk, I was just curious if you guys had any ideas of what I would expect once I do port and polish my heads, upper & lower intake. Are there any other tricks/mods that I could do that are free or low in cost when I have my motor apart?
i would say about 35-40rwhp with the port and polish. this is with a professional job and putting in larger valves, etc. i cant see the supercoupe being able to handle a whole lot more than 350 though, especially if the parts are worn. how much power are you looking for?

also, you should really look into a stroker kit instead.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Doing ported and polished heads and intakes is... pointless without swapping the cam.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Doing ported and polished heads and intakes is... pointless without swapping the cam.
true. i forgot all about that. i wouldnt say its worthless, but there is as much in the cams as there are in the heads and intakes
Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
true. i forgot all about that. i wouldnt say its worthless, but there is as much in the cams as there are in the heads and intakes
I would, thats a ton of work to do without the cam, plus our heads flow decently enough its the cam that's killing the combo.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

*sigh*......so here's where I'm at at the moment. I have my motor out, disassymbled (down to block and bottom end), and am currently looking for a supercoupe bottom end. All I have been able to find/locate is/are the pistons and conn. rods. the cranks turning out to be unavailable (I've called everywhere). Which leaves me in a rock and a hard spot. Any suggestions?

B/c of this, would my stock crank handle the power I have planned? And on a diff. but related note, I've been trying to get a hold of tom at supersix with little success. Has anyone else had anymore success than I? Is he THAT busy? On vacation? Or going out of business?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So, would you say bypass the p & p idea and go with just a cam?

I'm shooting for about 400-420hp at the motor.

I'm considering stroking it, but, I can't get at hold of tom at supersix. He's the wonderful wizard of oz supposedly. The magician who bears all the knowledge.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004 View Post
So, would you say bypass the p & p idea and go with just a cam?

I'm shooting for about 400-420hp at the motor.

I'm considering stroking it, but, I can't get at hold of tom at supersix. He's the wonderful wizard of oz supposedly. The magician who bears all the knowledge.
As long as you have the money, id do both. Tom can be hard to reach at times. He is always travelling so it may take a while. However, we dont really have many options so just be patient.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

well the p & p job I was gonna do myself, with the assistance of a technician I work with. Cool, I was beginning to think he was avoiding my calls, lol. So....what about my crank? Would it stand up to the extra power?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Probably not. Well it would, but not for a long period of time.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

define long period of time.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
Road Trip!

It would depend on how hard you stayed into the throttle. You're wanting 400-420hp at the crank, so I'd say around 12ish psi? If you drove it cautiously it might last 6 months or a year, however, if you were hot rodding it, not so long. Also depends on the tune.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

does anyone have any suggestions where I could get my hands on a good/new supercoupe crank for about $200-$250? Tuner houses? dealerships? etc? Like who? and whats their number?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Super Coupe Performance Parts - Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Lincoln Mark VIII (8) and Ford Escape
Old 05-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
It would depend on how hard you stayed into the throttle. You're wanting 400-420hp at the crank, so I'd say around 12ish psi? If you drove it cautiously it might last 6 months or a year, however, if you were hot rodding it, not so long. Also depends on the tune.
I would think that the stock crank would hold up to 400 hp to the flywheel. however, if youre not being cautious, it is something that could break.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang