Possible V8 Swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Smile Possible V8 Swap?

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been on, so, a few updates:

My 2000 V6 now has 227k miles. The engine also knocks like no other. You can hear this baby clicking from a mile away. It's been looked at by multiple places, and all say the same thing. It's either time for an extensive rebuild, or, new engine.

Here's where the fun begins.

Today, I'm going to go look at a '99 GT. It was wrecked on the driver's side, and when I say wrecked, I mean WRECKED. Totalled it out. The car itself and engine has 99k miles. Ever since I first had my car I've always wanted to a swap, but I know it's more complicated than simply changing out engines. SO, I have the opportunity to buy the whole car, for rather cheap. I was told that it still starts and runs. It is also a 5 spd (manual). Mine, is an auto. I love manuals, and wanted one for quite some time. By buying the car, I can get al the engine mounts, suspension, rear end, anything else needed.

What is your advice on said adventure? Opinions?

Reply please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #2

Region: New Jersey
Re: Possible V8 Swap?

Bro park them next to each other. I personally would start with the motor by getting rid of yours first then slowly getting things back in place. I would invest on a tubular K member cause you gonna have the engine out anyway. You def gonna need the computer, you have the pedals and steering column for the auto to stick swap. If you take your time and you should be able to get this done smoothly. Take a lot of pictures as your doing the job so you can go back to it for references. You basically have everything you need so go for it. For mods, I would do a stock swap first just in case you have problems, like that you dont have to wonder if its the engine you put in or the add ons you did. Get it going , once you have it running then you can do so simple add ons like pulleys, cold air intake, plenum, throttle body, headers, y pipe, exhaust, gears (373), thats my opinion on gear size some people do 410, but i think they are a little much specially if you drive it daily. That's my opinion on how take this task on. Good Luck...
1fst5.4stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the advice 1fst5.4stang.

Like I said, I'm going to go look at it today. Unfortuantely, I don't have the money to actually pick it up today. Hopefully by the end of the week though.
I have to look at it, you know, really inspect it beforehand.

Where is a good place to get a tubular K member?

Anyone else have any advice / suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #4

You can find full kits at maximum motorsport, but if you dont have the money you can buy just the k member and just make sure you can ues it with your stock a arms. check ebay too man... look all that car needs to good at is nose and those interior parts i mentioned earlier. everything else try to list it by parts(the good ones) you can make some of that money back
Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm yeah definitely don't have the cash to get a k member right now. That might come later. The guy has been parting the car out, so, the front bumper, rear bumper, headlights, taillights, and other parts are already gone. He's not sure what is all gone, that's the main reason I'm going today.

Without the rear bumper, will the stock GT pipes still go under my V6 bumper? It doesn't have the cut outs.. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

for now you can just cut out the spots and in the future just get yourself a rear bumper. The only reason i'm telling you to get the kmember is because it will cost you double if you gotta pull the motor out again... you gonna have it out anyway. you can get one for like around $200, its def worth it. Hey make sure the wire hardness is in there you gonna need it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang