Saleen Conversions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to retrorider Send a message via Yahoo to retrorider
Saleen Conversions?

Is there anyone that is turning their 2005-2007 Mustangs v8 or v6 into a Saleen? I'm wanting to convert my 2005 V6 into one and just wanted to know what ya'll think, or if it'd look good if I did it on my own without sending it to Saleen!
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Saleen Conversions?

its very easy to make it look like a saleen, I mean for the most part all saleen does it throw a body kit on the car and charge twice as much for it. They do have super charger and other such nice options but most are just regulary GT's with a body kit. (I dont think they offer a v6)

Just get OEM saleen parts do NOT go off brand and do some checking on price quotes and MAKE SURE you take it to a GREAT shot to do the paint. DO NOT let them paint the items on the car, paint it off the car then put it on the car or you will be sorry (exceptions are if the paint can not be matched easy aka like redfire)

You will need to upgrade your rims to else the stockers will look extremly out of place and you should at least go with 18s to fill in with the saleen kit.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Check out this car: Welcome to Stang-Hi Performance

It started as a 2005 GT. Now it is a 2005 Saleen S281E...complete with a saleen registration number because the shop that did it is a certified dealer.

There are some other pics of it around the site here somewhere that I have posted up. Search for saleen posts by me and you might could find some pics around.

Also, if you decide to do it, call the shop I linked to...they can get you direct saleen parts for it...
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the Posts... Is it better to buy my parts from a dealer? or just going to stage3motorsports.com or something?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

I would say buy your parts whereever you can get the best price, but as someone else said, you should use only genuine saleen stuff, not offbrand imitations.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

dont buy anything thats fiberglass...

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i think the roushes/saleens are the only good looking 05+ out there
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking, no one else put out a body kit that I want to use, and around here in North Eastern Mississippi the only thing other than a stock mustang that you can see running down the street is a fully done Roush with Numbers and all. But you rarely see him rolling down the road.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

buy the origional saleen parts, no knock offs (aka from ebay cheap fiberglass pos crap) and take it to an EXTREMLY good paint shop (cheaper is NOT always better nore is super expensive always better) just do your homework and pick somewhere that does high quality work and takes care of your car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

The shop that did my hood scoop and side window louvers did not match my torch red perfectly, but its never been noticed by anyone but me that I am aware of. This guy used to run the body shop of a local ford dealership and does extremely good work, he mostly does mustang restore work.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

well I have a guy that's going to do the painting, I just wanted to ask around and maybe see some conversion pictures. I'm running with a stock 05v6, with sequential tails, i think i'm going to run dual exaust cat back, k&n air filter, and probably going to buy a reprogrammer at the same time.. so i figured while i'm having the dent in the front of my car fixed i was going to go ahead and start the transformation process.. if i buy my stuff from saleen themselves, will i get a saleen vin number after full conversion or do i really just need to get a body shop that is liscense to do saleen work to convert my car?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Only a certified saleen shop can get a saleen number issued and you have to put a certain amount of parts on the car in order to get it. I don't have the details, but that is the case. I also don't think it can be you buy the parts and install them yourself either. I think the shop has to do the install too.

As for the pictures, did you check out the stang hi link I gave you? The white car was a gt and is now a saleen. You could call stang hi and he could explain it all to you.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I've worked in a bodyshop for well over a year, so taking off and replacing bumpercovers, and stuff like that isn't nothing i haven't done already, my problem is I haven't seen a conversion that has looked decent yet, or at least one that is a DAILY Driver. The only few I have seen have all been at carshows and they were Trailer Queens.. I don't want to park mine on a trailer yet i've had my car for almost 2 years and only have 17k on the odo.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

It isn't a matter of skill, it is a saleen rule to pull more money out of you. If you want a number, a shop has to do the work.

The white one in my link is a DD....
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

If your car is a V6, I dont' think there is any way Saleen is going to issue you a registration number for it, because they dont' make V6 stangs, sorry.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know lengths and lowering on the car once the conversion is completed.. i just don't see how i'd keep my car at ride height to keep my car a daily driver with any body kit. The saleen i think is about 3 inches longer front and rear, but i'm sure if i do just like the picture there, i'd sit too low to keep my car a daily driver.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

i lowered mine 1 1/2 " front and rear and the only issue is with large speed bumps . you just have to slow down for those . Looks a lot better than the stock ride height.
gasman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

No problems with mine, just slow down
Old 10-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man the picture help's alot, is your's a GT? if not how did you get the Foglights behind the grill, I like that look. and Grill just looks awesome with the lights shining through it. Props on that one man!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

No its an 05 V6 thats seen a lot of different looks. I get bored real fast

Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

awesome look for the car do you just keep changing kits on it or what? how do you change your look so often.. how'd you do the fog lights on it? I wanna know that the most.. is there a complete kit i can get? how much would it run?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

check on ebay , i've seen grilles with foglights in several different styles for V6 mustangs. dont try to put a GT grille in , its slightly larger and doesn't quite fit right . my brother in law tried it on his 05 and its better to get something that actually fits . I have an 06 pony grille in mine and i like its retro look
gasman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Except for the Cobra R front end all other treatments were my own design. I do all the work myself including match paint and vinyl striping. In the back of the V6 grille there are circles already outlined in the plastic? I cut these out with a dremel tool and installed the driving light bought from Pep Boys, I wired them as day running lights that also come on with my brights.I just finished painting the stripes on the newly painted front end, car is complete till my next bout with bordom...

Here is a pic from a couple months ago when I designed my BOSS kit took a few plaques at local car shows and sold the design work so now it's off my car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang