Newbie, questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Newbie, questions

OK guys, I'm new here mainlt a Gm guy but have had a Ford or two, carbs no EFI before.Just picked up a 94 with the 6 for my daughter. Convertible 50K miles. It has dual mufflers that were added post cats. It won't outrun a fat man! I think my Chevy truck can smoke it.The rental Toyota I had was peppier.

Cleaned off the Mass aiflow sensor, no help. It has a new air cleaner.

Run Ok just no power. Takes 1/3 throttle just to leave a stop light with all the traffic. Not much faster WOT.

What do I need to check??

And it also has the working speedo no odometer issue another guy posted about.
Skip Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Re: Newbie, questions

Cant help you with the odometer, but just do the basic tune up things on the car. New fuel filter, plugs, wires, air filter, etc.

Also, being a 94 I would immediately check and make sure its had the head gasket fix that 94-96's had issues with. They came with a bad head design and would blow head gaskets, so you might want to get that looked at. You're right at the milage that people would usually find out about that problem. Good luck, and

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #3

Was there a service bulletin/recall or just they are prone to head gasket blows? I've heard that they can with only the slightest overheating.

I've driven my inlaws Explorers with the V6s and they seemed alot perkier and heavier.

Got a decent deal on the car,$3500. The 81 Trans Am I built for her brother and now her to drive daily is just starting to have too many things go wrong for a daily driver. So it get's a new paint job and sold. And the Mustang gets to be the daily driver. Maybe some wheels to dress it up as it has those 3 spokers. It's purple with a black top and interior and a black to grey insert in the doors. But being as my "street car" is a low 11 second pump gas 78 Trans Am this thing is definitely lethargic.

Fuel pumps an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Fuel pump not so much... your fuel filter might be clogged up or you may need to get the injectors cleaned out, something like that. I had a 95 v6 automatic at one point and trust me, they're not the quickest sleds on the road. They like a 17 second car in stock form, so dont expect too much out of it.

I like toys
Old 09-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #5

The one time I took my truck down the track(spectator cost as much as racing and a Buick buddy had a new car out) it was 17 second, this thing is ALOT slower.

We'll start with the basics, and see where it goes. Just figured it shouldn't take 1/2 throttle to leave a stop sign!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

yeah somethings not right there... you might check and make sure your cats arent clogged up or something like that too. :dunno:

I like toys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang