Car would not start-could not be jumped-then started - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Car would not start-could not be jumped-then started

Today,
My car would not start, I tried jumping with my wife's car. Then, I called a towing company. They could not jump it off. I was getting ready to have it towed, and turned the key on to see if the auto trans would shift into neutral for the tow truck and the car started. I cleaned the battery terminals, made sure they were tight.
The clock was off for over two hours. No sounds came from the normal buzzers, the radio would not work.
Both the speedometer and Tach pegged and stuck at the top of the meters, (wierd).
Outside of an invasion from a UFO, (on TV), I have never seen anything like this. It just wouldn't work, then it did.
I did have the trunk open while I was loading some things into the trunk. The trunk light may have been on for twenty minutes. The car door was open about that long also. I can't imagine that this drained the battery.
I stopped at the local AutoZone and had the battery checked. It is perfect.
I bought two new battery terminals and cleaned the battery and posts.
I broke the fuse holder by trying to take the positive lead off while doing this, but, otherwise everything is back in working order.
I checked the fuel pump switch, even though I don't think it could cause this.
Any ideas about what happened and how I can prevent it from happening again?
richardcrowson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Car would not start-could not be jumped-then started

Fuel pump wouldn't cause a no crank condition..

When you put the key to the on position, did you get the usual Christmas tree, with all lights on or was the dash dark?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

The shop I had my starter replaced at said sometimes a starter can develop a dead spot. I guess if it was at a bad spot, it might not start but that doesn't get to why your stuff would be pegged. Any CEL?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Hi,
Actually there were not lights or sounds. There must have been some voltage or the gauges would not have pegged and stayed in position . However, not enough for the buzzer to ring when opening the door with the key in the ignition.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

That is definitely strange, sounds like it could be a ground-point issue, or possibly a short in the ignition wiring?

The gauges being pegged could be a self-test that instrument cluster does, I've seen many Fords do this when battery is disconnected/reconnected then key is turned on... But they don't stay pegged and the car definitely starts afterward, however if there's a bad ground.. It could be tripping a self test frequently?

And when the car actually started, the path was complete again.. Has the car continued to act up or is all well now?

I'm baffled!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #6

You might be on something. I pulled off the battery terminals and replaced the positive with a "gold plated" top of the line connector. The negative pole terminal I purchased designed for negative poles would not fit. I cleaned up the old terminal and replaced it. It was badly coated with oxidation. Because it was lead, it was easy to shine it up. I bought a battery pole shim and will put the more expensive terminal on this weekend. Maybe the attempts at jumping the car moved the negative terminal just enough to cause it to arc through the oxidation. I think you have something in this.
The only down side is that I needed more slack cable from the fuse block and tried taking off the bolt holding the positive cable.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

You may be able to use aluminum foil as a temporary spacer. A problem I had with my v6 is that the negative terminal wasn't tight around the post and it arced. This oxidized the surface and it conducted like **** and the car went dead. If your negative is loose on the post, you should certainly fix this first.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
You may be able to use aluminum foil as a temporary spacer. A problem I had with my v6 is that the negative terminal wasn't tight around the post and it arced. This oxidized the surface and it conducted like **** and the car went dead. If your negative is loose on the post, you should certainly fix this first.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcrowson1 View Post
Thanks,
Rick
did it work?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang