Wheels and springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #1

Wheels and springs

If I throw on some 20x9.5's onto my 2004 v6 will I still have room to drop it? I would like to drop the front 2" and the back 1.5. Also, will I experience problems if I do not get adjustable shocks right away? Thanks in advance guys.
Wee_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: Wheels and springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee_Z View Post
If I throw on some 20x9.5's onto my 2004 v6 will I still have room to drop it? I would like to drop the front 2" and the back 1.5. Also, will I experience problems if I do not get adjustable shocks right away? Thanks in advance guys.
Throwing 20's on a V6 is like throwing 200 lbs of bricks in the trunk. You will be much slower and look like a cartoon car with huge tires!!!

FUGLY!!!!!

18's is about as large as will want to go on that model
Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
Throwing 20's on a V6 is like throwing 200 lbs of bricks in the trunk. You will be much slower and look like a cartoon car with huge tires!!!

FUGLY!!!!!

18's is about as large as will want to go on that model
He didnt ask should he throw 20's on his Mustang he asked if he did could he lower the car.

I can answer your question about the shocks... I would go ahead and do the shocks and the springs at the same time since it is basically the same install. If you do not do the shocks right away it wont take long for your stock shocks/struts to give away to the 2" drop and then you just have a really really bad bumpy ride.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ok to answer the most pressing question with 20's can you drop 2 inches and not run into additional problems I say no unless you get unbelieveably low profile tires then your ride is going to suck really bad
Old 09-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

You can, youll need to keep the overall diameter of wheels/tires the same though. I dont even know what series tire you'd run with it like that, but yes they'll fit and yes you can still lower the car.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

You would need 205 35 20's
Old 09-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
You would need 205 35 20's
205's? did you mean 305s? 205's would be uber stretchedon a 9.5" wheel.

also, moving to w99-04 v6

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Regular

255/35/20 is the correct tire size

Reddit
Old 09-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yes I meant 255 But you would want 30's not 35 the speedo would be off by nearly 5% with 30's it owuld only be off 1.3%
Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He didnt ask should he throw 20's on his Mustang he asked if he did could he lower the car.

I can answer your question about the shocks... I would go ahead and do the shocks and the springs at the same time since it is basically the same install. If you do not do the shocks right away it wont take long for your stock shocks/struts to give away to the 2" drop and then you just have a really really bad bumpy ride.

Cool Thanks man, thats what I thought. I read a few posts on the springs/kits i should go with so i am lookin into those now.. Do you happen to know a ball-park figure of how much would labor cost for me to get a lowering kit installed. Thanks for the info...
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Regular

It is a very easy install to do. I wouldnt spend money on getting someone else to do it. I am not sure how much it would cost to have someone to do it either.

Reddit
Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
It is a very easy install to do. I wouldnt spend money on getting someone else to do it. I am not sure how much it would cost to have someone to do it either.
Yea thats what i was hoping to hear. Your ride is slammed just right... How much did you drop yours? What kit did you go with?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
Regular

Quote:
Yea thats what i was hoping to hear. Your ride is slammed just right... How much did you drop yours? What kit did you go with?
Eibach Pro Kit and its right at 2" in the front and about 1.5 in the back...

Reddit
Old 09-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
255/35/20 is the correct tire size
255's on a 9.5" rim? Wow, talk about curb rash. 275's on a 9" rim is perfect..can't image 1/2" more rim and 1/2" less tire. Ick.

The 255s might give the proper overall height, but they will look terrible and stretched.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #15
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
255's on a 9.5" rim? Wow, talk about curb rash. 275's on a 9" rim is perfect..can't image 1/2" more rim and 1/2" less tire. Ick.

The 255s might give the proper overall height, but they will look terrible and stretched.
Just going by tirerack.com

Reddit
Old 09-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

just do the math and find a tire that has the same overall height sidewall height and is around a 275 mm wide at least.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Yeah, you're gonna want a 275-295 on a wheel that wide.

Also, I hope you realize how absolutely horrible your ride quality is gonna be with 20" wheels and 2" drop. You need to ride in a car with a similar set-up before you decide to go through with this. Otherwise, you will probably seriously regret it.

Also good luck keeping tires on it. Maximum Motorsports C/C plates will be a must. You'll also probably need to have the alignment checked every three months or so with such an extreme set-up. As stiff as this thing is gonna be, your entire suspension is gonna be vibrated and jarred to hell and back.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Yeah, you're gonna want a 275-295 on a wheel that wide.

Also, I hope you realize how absolutely horrible your ride quality is gonna be with 20" wheels and 2" drop. You need to ride in a car with a similar set-up before you decide to go through with this. Otherwise, you will probably seriously regret it.

Also good luck keeping tires on it. Maximum Motorsports C/C plates will be a must. You'll also probably need to have the alignment checked every three months or so with such an extreme set-up. As stiff as this thing is gonna be, your entire suspension is gonna be vibrated and jarred to hell and back.
Thanks for the advice. I in the end just want a wheel that looks decent for the car, I know its an opinion but I think an 18 in ch wheel looks small, unless the car is dropped. SO I was hoping to get around that by getting 20's and not having to drop it for a while. But since Ive been doing some research, I guess the kits are not to expensive for the drop I want. I am now thinking about getting 18's, and ordering a lowering kit, I just want to find out how much someone would charge me to throw the kit on? I would try it myself but i dont want to just yet, Im good w/ oil changes, brake pads and that ***** but yea... I would like to have a professional throw it on... Hope it dotn cost a grip...
Old 09-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I in the end just want a wheel that looks decent for the car, I know its an opinion but I think an 18 in ch wheel looks small, unless the car is dropped. SO I was hoping to get around that by getting 20's and not having to drop it for a while. But since Ive been doing some research, I guess the kits are not to expensive for the drop I want. I am now thinking about getting 18's, and ordering a lowering kit, I just want to find out how much someone would charge me to throw the kit on? I would try it myself but i dont want to just yet, Im good w/ oil changes, brake pads and that ***** but yea... I would like to have a professional throw it on... Hope it dotn cost a grip...
Springs are extremely easy to install on a 94-04. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself though, find someone that lives near you that's willing to help do it for a couple of beers or something. If you lived near me, I'd certainly do it for free (free as in, a 6-pack of Miller Lite).

Scary stuff.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Where do you live we have members all over that can help you with suspension mods
Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #21

Region: California

I have 17x9.5's in the rear with 275 tires. It looks nice. I spent my 315s. Thats was fun
BobbyFrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:10 PM   #22

Wink Re: Wheels and springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFrets View Post
I have 17x9.5's in the rear with 275 tires. It looks nice. I spent my 315s. Thats was fun
So.... 255's are too small??? I have a buddy thats running 225's on 20's!!!! I really want to get the right size tire tho I hope im not being overly cautious but you guys kno how it is, its a lot of money! I was thinking 255's would be just right.... Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
So.... 255's are too small??? I have a buddy thats running 225's on 20's!!!! I really want to get the right size tire tho I hope im not being overly cautious but you guys kno how it is, its a lot of money! I was thinking 255's would be just right.... Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance
The height of the wheel isn't what matters when deciding how wide of a tire to get. It's the width of the wheel that matters. So, if your friend has 20x8 or 20x8.5 wheels, the 255s would be about right. But with a 9.5" wide wheel you are going to want a wider tire. Probably between a 275 and 295.

Also, since this may help you out... here's how to "read" the size of the tire. For example: a 245/45/17, which is a common size on stock 94-04 Mustangs. The 245 is the width of the tire in millimeters. The 45 is the sidewall height. However, and this is very important, the 45 is not 45 mm. It is a percentage. So a 245/45/17 is going to have a sidewall height that is 45% of 245mm, which comes out to be 110.25 mm. Of course, the 17 is the diameter of the wheel in inches (I know... it's kinda weird that the width is in millimeters and the wheel diameter is in inches...).

Now, to get the overall height of the tire and wheel, you need to multiply the side wall height by 2 (because the sidewall goes all the way around the wheel... it will be on the top and the bottom of the wheel).

So... 245mm * 45% = 110.25mm.

Now, we need to multiply this by 2 and then convert it to inches so we can add it to the wheel height.

So.... 110.25mm * 2 = 220.50mm.

There is 25.4mm in one inch.

So... 220.50mm / 25.4 = 8.68 inches of overall sidewall height.

Now, to get the overall wheel/tire height, we need to add the sidewall height to the wheel height.

So... 8.68 inches + 17 inches = 25.68 inches.

This means that 25.68 inches is the normal overall tire/wheel height for a 94-04 Mustang (except the 95 Cobra R, but that's a different story). This is also true for the 79-93s.

So when you start buying tires, you want a overall tire height that will come as close as possible to 25.68 inches. You may have to play around with the different tire sizes available for 20" wheels to get as close to this number as possible and still be the proper width for the wheel. Because the different sidewall heights are only available in increments of 5%... this can sometimes be a pain in the ***.

But if you need any help in coming up with the right size, just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help.

Scary stuff.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The height of the wheel isn't what matters when deciding how wide of a tire to get. It's the width of the wheel that matters. So, if your friend has 20x8 or 20x8.5 wheels, the 255s would be about right. But with a 9.5" wide wheel you are going to want a wider tire. Probably between a 275 and 295.

Also, since this may help you out... here's how to "read" the size of the tire. For example: a 245/45/17, which is a common size on stock 94-04 Mustangs. The 245 is the width of the tire in millimeters. The 45 is the sidewall height. However, and this is very important, the 45 is not 45 mm. It is a percentage. So a 245/45/17 is going to have a sidewall height that is 45% of 245mm, which comes out to be 110.25 mm. Of course, the 17 is the diameter of the wheel in inches (I know... it's kinda weird that the width is in millimeters and the wheel diameter is in inches...).

Now, to get the overall height of the tire and wheel, you need to multiply the side wall height by 2 (because the sidewall goes all the way around the wheel... it will be on the top and the bottom of the wheel).

Now, we need to multiply this by 2 and then convert it to inches so we can add it to the wheel height.

Now, to get the overall wheel/tire height, we need to add the sidewall height to the wheel height.

This means that 25.68 inches is the normal overall tire/wheel height for a 94-04 Mustang (except the 95 Cobra R, but that's a different story). This is also true for the 79-93s.

So when you start buying tires, you want a overall tire height that will come as close as possible to 25.68 inches. You may have to play around with the different tire sizes available for 20" wheels to get as close to this number as possible and still be the proper width for the wheel. Because the different sidewall heights are only available in increments of 5%... this can sometimes be a pain in the ***.

But if you need any help in coming up with the right size, just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help.
Another Truism brought to you by bbunt
Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #25

Quote:

Wow that was great man SO I got the 20's! with 255's. Thanks for all the help. So in a thread earlier someone said "good luck keeping tires" is that if i lend up dropping it? or just becuase I got 20's? I dont think im gonna drop it any time soon, I kind of like the way it looks right now Thanks again
Old 10-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you don't drop it, I don't see how it will really be any harder to keep tires on them. In fact, because of the shorter, stiffer sidewall due to the increased wheel diameter, they may actually wear more evenly than a taller, softer sidwall.

Just make sure, as always, that you keep a close watch on how they are wearing and have the car aligned regularly.

Scary stuff.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Air pressure, alignment, rotation are key to the life of your tires. Just taking it to a shop and say align my car doesnt work either. You need to keep a printout of each alignment and adjust to keep the tires wearing correctly.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #28

Sounds good, ill keep an eye on that definitely! Thanks again guys.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #29

Region: California

Ok Has Anyone Tried 17 Wheels..... 17x10.5 Rear And 17x9 Front With 315 35 17 Rear And 275 40 17 Rear Tires... This Would Go On A 2004 Mustang V6 Any Thoughts On This... Allready Put Eibach Springs On So Its Around 1 1/2 Lower Than Stock....
gbracng is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang