New clutch installed.. need new cable now - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Post New clutch installed.. need new cable now

So i bought a clutch kit and installed it the other day and now i have about 1/4-1/2 inch of play in my pedal before you feel it start to let loose. the pedal also has a good vibration in it until the line is tight.. sounds like my ToB is even going out already squeaks a little every now and then.. I'm pretty sure its the cable so i'm wanting to get a adjustable one and such.

Mustang Clutch Adjuster Kit (96-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
was looking at this but it doesn't say if it was for V6s or not was wondering if anyone can confirm it does or doesn't.

was looking at this one also
82-95 Mustang 5.0L Adjustable Clutch Cable Kit, Also Fits 94-04 Mustang 3.8L V6 by 50resto at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: New clutch installed.. need new cable now

First I would try adjusting the clutch cable. Searching the forums for "clutch adjustment" brings up plenty of results. Unfortunately I don't know the exact steps off the top of my head. I do believe this thread has some helpful tips and a way to adjust the factory clutch cable:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t230817/

As for the throw out bearing, and as a general rule of thumb, and for me personally; if I was replacing the clutch I would replace ToB along with the new clutch. It is a relatively cheap part and I always thought if you replace the clutch you replace the ToB with it.
Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I would avoid adjustable cables and stick with a stock one. Adjustable are known to wear out quicker and unravel making adjustment impossible.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

alright ill try that ty.. i also bought a clutch kit got pressure plate, ToB, pilot bearing, and clutch i changed it all.. the cables just so worn out its making my ToB cherp at some points.. sometimes it does some times it doesnt. it also has almost 100k on it.. didnt resurface the flywheel either.. my friends dad help me with the install hes been working on cars for a good 35 years now or so. even works down at midas.. he said flywheel looked fine.. hell the whole reason for this clutch change was just for the pilot bearing, clutch had hardly any wear on it and ToB was still great. spun forever when i gave her a spin

Edit: where can i find a stock cable if i do change it and should i upgrade the quadrant also while im down there?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I would upgrade the quadrant just because the stocker is a plastic piece of crap. However, if you do, get the firewall adjuster to go with it.

A stock cable can be found any any oreilly's, autozone, advanced auto, etc. Or, you could call up Tousley Ford and get one for much less even after shipping. However, check out your local stores first and see what the price is. For reference, you're looking at around $90 plus shipping from tousley. My guess is that it will be around 130-140 for a stock cable based on the suggested retail from the tousley website. Tousley Ford Parts Depot
Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i tried advance and the zone and they both didn't carry a clutch cable.. went to a local store called Marietta Ignition they didn't carry it either.. guess i could try napa think thats the only store left around here in this little one horse town.. probably be better if i just order it from a website.

130 bucks for a cable? i can get an aftermarket one there on AM for 40 bucks i think. even if the adjustable ones wear out sooner i think it would be worth replacing it again 4 or 5 years down the road if it even gets wore out that fast

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang