SCT Power tuner just added, oil temp seems high? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
SCT Power tuner just added, oil temp seems high?

Hi Everyone!

I just added an SCT tuner to the line-up of mods on my v6 stang and the oil temp seems a little high( just slightly past mid way) I could be trippin out but it seems to be higher? Is that common with tuners? New to the performance and mustang scene, any help from the experts would be great! Also, how much is a rear differential swap cost? I know the part is 169.99 on AM, but I heard labor alone is 795$ WTF???! Is that true? Thank you all!
Camaro Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: SCT Power tuner just added, oil temp seems high?

whats the temperture at? Idk how much it'd be to swap the diff. (diff. is the entire assembly. btw) But....yeah....$800 seems a bit steep. There really isn't anything to complicated about swapping gears. just a couple things you have to be careful about, is about it. Its something that you could do (assuming you have some machanical inclination).

But to answer the core of your question, I work at dealership here in the shop. And its about a 4hr job or so (at a dealership). So you're looking at about $400 or so....give or take.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the awesome reply, the oil temp is a little past the half way mark towards hot. I just ordered a oil cooler to get that down, hopefully that helps! I'm gona call the dealer and see what they say about a gear swap( price wise) while I have you here, any power upgrade ideas besides forced induction and cams? Thank you again so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

190-210 or so is considered normal and average temp today. So a bit past the halfway. U should be cool. But if it bothers u that much. Get a coolant flush/replace ur coolant. Aside from power....weight weight and weight. loose as much as u can. Tube k member will drop a bunch. Delete ur back seat and trunk. Reduce rotating mass.....aluminum driveshaft. Aluminum flywheel from super six motorsports.drag lights if u race on the strip. Relocate ur battery to the trunk.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome man! Thank you so much for the insight! That is very helpful info!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Water temp with the stock thermostat will be 195 average, but the oil temp I have NO idea as there is no sensor that monitors that stock.

rear gears are something you have to sit back and take a deep breath and realize just what you are getting yourself into.

First you have to buy OEM ford gears to have the least chance of whine (noise if not installed correctly). Ford swaped to another company (Motive) to make their gears in the last bit.... so you should try to find older gears still made by Ford (not sure how to tell the difference, some say if they have an M on the ring gear its motive, I personally do not know)

Now you have your gears...

Find a good installer that knows what they are doing, if they are not installed right they can whine, once they start whining they probably wont ever stop so you will have to buy NEW gears once again and start the process over. I would get in writing a guarantee against whining and XXXX miles without issue else the contract states they have to purchase all new parts and replace (not just reset the gears)

Cost of install will be anywhere from 200-600~ just depends, pay more to get it done RIGHT the first time else the end result will be twice as much as it would have cost the first go around lol.

Get with your local mustang group and see who they use, if you talk to guys that just RACE their car they probably dont give a crap about gear whine so keep that in mind.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Water temp with the stock thermostat will be 195 average.
For me its 175* Highway speed, 220* sitting in a traffic jam on a 100* day, bout 180-190 normal driving.

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang