Service Engine Soon light >< - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #1

Service Engine Soon light ><

Hey all!

New to this forum sucks my first post has to be about a problem!

Bought an '02 Mustang convertible about 2 months ago and the Service Engine soon light came on. Took it to autozone and received code p1131 Misfire on bank 1, Vacuum leak, Fuel injector problem, or excessive engine wear. Took it to a mechanic today and he figured it just needed a tune up so replaced the wires, plugs, fuel filter, oil & filter, air filter & put in some lucas. Light came back on after the reset.

I love the car and its my first Mustang and dont want to get rid of it. Any ideas what to do next? I just changed the oil so not really wanting to do the Seaform thing right now.. but will if i have too. Scared that is just excessive engine wear though and the seaform will kill it lol.
Hoss001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Service Engine Soon light ><

Go to a ford dealership and get the car hooked up to a computer/scan tool. They're gonna charge u a diagnostic fee. So ur gonna have to make peace with that. Diag fees r the cost to getting ur code read. Unless u or your friend has an sct excalibrator 2 and pull them urself.
From there once u pull the code....either the dealership or u can look it up on the internet will tell u what the code is.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #3

Code from Autozone was P1131. They use different equipment at the dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #4

Receipt says "Defiition: Lack of bank 1 02 transitions - lean Explanation. ECM detected bank 1 02 at its lean limit. Probable cause:

Misfire on bank 1 (My SES light doesn't blink.. it blinks when it actually misfires, right?)
Vacuum leak affecting only bank 1 (I have been getting some bucking at stop lights)
Fuel injector problem bank 1
Engine Mechanical condition it does have 115000
Old 06-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004 View Post
Go to a ford dealership and get the car hooked up to a computer/scan tool. They're gonna charge u a diagnostic fee. So ur gonna have to make peace with that. Diag fees r the cost to getting ur code read. Unless u or your friend has an sct excalibrator 2 and pull them urself.
From there once u pull the code....either the dealership or u can look it up on the internet will tell u what the code is.
This is a terrible idea. First, the codes you're referring to are freely available at AutoZone. Second, never trust the dealership or AutoZone guy to tell you what it means and be accurate.

To the OP, does the car hold an idle? If so, start it up and check for vac leaks. My GT had a couple that were somewhat hidden... took care of them and it ran a lot better and no codes!

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
This is a terrible idea. First, the codes you're referring to are freely available at AutoZone. Second, never trust the dealership or AutoZone guy to tell you what it means and be accurate.

To the OP, does the car hold an idle? If so, start it up and check for vac leaks. My GT had a couple that were somewhat hidden... took care of them and it ran a lot better and no codes!
It doesn't stall..
The RPMs start kinda high(not sure where) drop down to 2k(?) then sometimes shoot back up again. I was looking & listening for a leak but couldnt locate anything. Is there a better way to find it?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss001 View Post
It doesn't stall..
The RPMs start kinda high(not sure where) drop down to 2k(?) then sometimes shoot back up again. I was looking & listening for a leak but couldnt locate anything. Is there a better way to find it?
you can spray carb cleaner around "culprit" areas and see if the idle changes. (it'll make the RPMs go up). It might not hurt to clean the MAF and IAC while you're in there, assuming that may not have been done lately. (electrical contact cleaner is a must for MAF)

I found my tricky vac leaks by very slowly running my hands around the vac lines.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

The P1131 code is an indication of the car running lean, in case you haven't figured that already out.

First make sure that the you took the steps to make sure the car "shouldn't" be running that way anymore. Next ask yourself "Could it be another problem?" Did the mechanic change all spark plugs, wires, etc? If the CEL came back on get it scanned again, check the code to see if it's the same one, have them clear the code and see if it returns again. If there was a misfire, sometimes codes will only report one at a time (I've seen/heard). You may have 2 or 3 misfires for instance. It could also be the car just needs to run a little longer to reset itself and correct the A/F ratio.

</my opinion anyway>
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

clean the maf sensor with some electronic no residue on contact cleaner really good this can get gunked up and cause idle issues and a/f issues.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Read voltage coming off oxygen sensor,very possible your problem
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If you can access a scanner to read live
data, monitor the upstream o2 switching. Disconnect the
vacuum booster line to create a lean condition voltage should
go to zero. Reconnect. Spray carb cleaner in the air tube. voltage
should spike rich .9v if this happens o2 working correct. If not replace o2 sensor. Also, try this: Try clearing the code and starting it. If the code pops back up then let the engine reach full operating temp. Then shut it off,erase the code, and start it again while the engine is hot. If you do not get a code after this last step then you probably need a new O2 sensor.
The O2 sensor has a heater element in it so it can get up to operating temp as fast as possible. If this heating element is not working (which is the most common problem with O2 sensors) then you will get a fluctuation between lean and rich until the sensor gets up to operating temp. The code could also mean an injector is malfunctioning. Get a good quality injector cleaner and run it thru your system. This may help too.
yogibooboorange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang