Lookin' for Parts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #1

Region: California
Question Lookin' for Parts

Hi all, this is my first post here. I was impressed by the amount of tech on here for V6 Mustangs and decided this would be as good a place as any to start asking questions. I have a '03 triple white convertible 3.8 V6 and I'm tired of people raggin' on my car all the time. My goal is to build a stop light to stop light car, since I live in San Diego, that'll stand up to a stock GT and definitely keep up with all the little ricers out here. The only things done to the car are a a Sony head unit and new spark plugs. Any suggestions on a good starting point would be appreciated.
Stang75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
Re: Lookin' for Parts

Gears I'm partial to the 4:10's, CAI, Exhaust, and a Tune would get you started on the right path.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I agree with 67mustang97.
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. As far as the gears go, would it be a good idea to throw a T-lok in since I gotta tear apart the rear end to put in the 4.10 gears anyway? And as far as the CAI, what's a good cheap brand? Is the AM V6 CAI any good?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

i would get the t loc anyways. thats what im going to do when i get my 3.73's. and i have the AM CAI and it works great. i love it.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #6

Woot good to hear. Another question about stuff from AM, is the SCT 4-bank chip worth it or would it be better to get one of the SCT tuners?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes on the T lok and as long as you don't need a carb number any intake will work about the same. It just depends if you want you filter in the fender or not. As far as the am intake I have no idea. I have a bbk intake amd love it.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Tuner
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

im not a pro about that stuff but from what i have heard i would just go with a tuner. thats what i am going to do. i am going to be buying the livewire. i heard its great even though its a lot of money.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

As a rule of thumb for gears; SN95/New Edge body styles that have a manual transmission benefit with 3.73:1 and automatic transmission benefit from 4.10:1. Of course you can get any ratio you want, but these are considered the best compromise, otherwise you may see decrease fuel efficiency or in the case of 4:10 or greater ratios installed on a manual transmission you will not have a first gear; the gear is so steep that you will go right from neutral to 2nd.

TLOK will also help. Instead of having one wheel move your car a TLOK will put torque to both wheels.

With the rear end (gears, TLOK): many V6 owners actually find GT parts (GT rear end) since this will bolt right in. You can take out your current one and just swap it. This will give you both the TLOK and an 8.8" rear end. Also since you will have the spare 8.8" you can swap gears before you swap the SRA.

CAI are CAI. You may even hear to just but the ones off eBay. When shopping for one you want to find one that has the most straight line to the intake. The one AM sells I'v heard very good things about.

You will want a tuner. A lot of places offer custom tunes for life so you can have multiple tunes ready - one for street performance, maybe another for drag racing, one for fuel economy, etc.

Another mod you may want to look into is exhaust. The more you can get done the better. Some long tubes, a new mid pipe and cat back will not only make your car sound better, but allow the engine to breather better.

The exhaust as well you can pull off a GT, either from a junk yard or find a GT owner who went after market and pick up his OEM. Going with dual exhaust only requires a little bit more work (depending on how you want the final look to be plays a big factor).

We have a great article on here. If you click on the "Article" tab on the top of the page and click on the "When modding where to start for V6 owners" (or some title like that) it will give a great break down of the best steps to get the most out of your Mustang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input! I've been looking for GT takeoffs but they are hard to find in SoCal. Same for GT rearends. It's been a pain in the rear to find any wrecked or parts mustangs out here. And I was thinkin bout puttin the 8.8" in, but I wasn't sure if it would be better (or cheaper) than just getting a set of 4.10 7.5" gears and a 7.5" T-lok.

EDIT: Also, would there even be a point getting a shift kit along with a tuner?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

How much do you have to spend?
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

welcome! building the motor with bolts ons and gears will do it and you will stay N/A, or you can do a single turbo
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #14

Thanks for the input. What would be a good place to look for a kit for the turbo? And atm, nothing, but im looking to make a budget and know what to aim for
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

You'll want to decide whether you want to buy a few bolt ons or go with a power adder like a turbo kit.

If you decide to go with a power adder (turbo)...you won't want to spend money on certain bolt ons...you'll want to focus on support mods such as a larger fuel pump, larger injectors, and a dyno tune. Certain kits will include larger compnents like injectors and wiring.

A nice engine build will put you well above GT's if done right...and you can still throw on a turbo or supercharger afterwards

If you just want bolt ons (which probably won't get you beating 99-04 GT's), you'll spend a grand or so.

Going with a power adder or built engine or both will need a larger budget, but will have much better results.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang